NEW PLAYERS

SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
<div class="IPBDescription">listen.</div>PLEASE.... PLEASE... please tell people if you are new to the game. Don't immediately jump in the command station (or hive). Get a mic. A mic is very important. If you can't, at least type. Ask questions. Don't ###### your team over and then quit. Please let us help you. Stop ruining the game for everyone but yourself. This game includes a lot of other players. Communicate. Please.

Comments

• OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Well they all usually appear with green names anyway ...

Just be prepared to comm alot, even if you usually don't.
  • PowerfuryOAPowerfuryOA Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148314Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2003922:date=Oct 31 2012, 10:37 PM:name=Sampson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sampson @ Oct 31 2012, 10:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2003922"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->PLEASE.... PLEASE... please tell people if you are new to the game. Don't immediately jump in the command station (or hive). Get a mic. A mic is very important. If you can't, at least type. Ask questions. Don't ###### your team over and then quit. Please let us help you. Stop ruining the game for everyone but yourself. This game includes a lot of other players. Communicate. Please.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's gonna take more than 1 day to understand this game. I know it took me longer than 1 day to adjust from NS1 to NS2.

It's a lot to take in.
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    Likewise, everyone needs to learn to Comm sometime. Though a heads-up and asking for advice can be a good thing.

Definitely not 'ruining it for everyone else'. Well, except for the asshats that jump into the CC just to recycle everything and quit. Already have had two of those ruin an otherwise good round, because they saw an Onos and decided that the game was over and they wanted to start a new round. Weak, selfish ****noses. Play the game out, or leave the CC and let someone else take over, if you're too much of a **** to ride the bomb all the way down and actually FIGHT. Cowards.
  • RMJRMJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155190Members
    edited November 2012
    The Commanders tab needs to be improved. man it took forever to find the damn place where you upgrade actually alien abilities, why is it hidden like that, having to click a hive first, why not just having it on the ui click the ability i want to research and then select a hive. for me that makes more sense instead of hiding it.

Im sure this is a problem for many new commanders, because we dont get any ability upgrades, it never fails, each time there is a need commander, someone spends like forever trying to guide them to how to research alien abilities.

Im not sure if its as bad on Marine commander side. But it needs to change. like it or not, new people are gonna go away really fast, if stuff isnt somewhat to understand.

Gotta think about what you compete against these days, multiplayer games have be dumbed down so much lately that NS2 is pretty hardcore on all fronts, compared to multiplayer in other games.

I cant remember the last game ive played where teamwork and this much communication was required, so were talking a long freaking time ago.

The whole interface game and such should be easy to learn - hard to master. Not as it is now, Hard to master and Hard to learn, thats a big no no in terms of game design. The other problem is the other modern military shooter multiplayer, they are, Easy to learn and easy to master, which again is also fail.
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2003969:date=Nov 1 2012, 12:31 AM:name=RMJ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RMJ @ Nov 1 2012, 12:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2003969"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Commanders tab needs to be improved. man it took forever to find the damn place where you upgrade actually alien abilities, why is it hidden like that, having to click a hive first, why not just having it on the ui click the ability i want to research and then select a hive. for me that makes more sense instead of hiding it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Each hive can be researching something different. It can be really, really important which hive is researching what. So it has to be bound to the hive, not an ephemeral upgrade you can access from anywhere.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Im sure this is a problem for many new commanders, because we dont get any ability upgrades, it never fails, each time there is a need commander, someone spends like forever trying to guide them to how to research alien abilities.

Im not sure if its as bad on Marine commander side. But it needs to change. like it or not, new people are gonna go away really fast, if stuff isnt somewhat to understand.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Its not so much an issue on marines as they don't have any upgrades on the CC itself, and they usually don't build multiples of upgrade buildings.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gotta think about what you compete against these days, multiplayer games have be dumbed down so much lately that NS2 is pretty hardcore on all fronts, compared to multiplayer in other games.

I cant remember the last game ive played where teamwork and this much communication was required, so were talking a long freaking time ago.

The whole interface game and such should be easy to learn - hard to master. Not as it is now, Hard to master and Hard to learn, thats a big no no in terms of game design. The other problem is the other modern military shooter multiplayer, they are, Easy to learn and easy to master, which again is also fail.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Certainly the comm interfaces could use some polish, and I'm sure they will receive it.
  • GuspazGuspaz Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2862Members, Constellation
    Not everybody has to learn to comm. I never did for NS1 :P

Of course, because of that, then Talesin ended up with me as comm, and that didn't end up going so well ;)
  • noxturnonoxturno Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165243Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2003922:date=Oct 31 2012, 08:37 PM:name=Sampson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sampson @ Oct 31 2012, 08:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2003922"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->PLEASE.... PLEASE... please tell people if you are new to the game. Don't immediately jump in the command station (or hive). Get a mic. A mic is very important. If you can't, at least type. Ask questions. Don't ###### your team over and then quit. Please let us help you. Stop ruining the game for everyone but yourself. This game includes a lot of other players. Communicate. Please.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

JAcob is this you xD?

--------------------------------

Allines have feelings too!!! they also have fun !! and feel love!!

<a href="http://youtu.be/Q_rqhiXTK-0" target="_blank">http://youtu.be/Q_rqhiXTK-0</a>
  • Uh-OhUh-Oh Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6917Members
    He is right about the commander interface and learning curve being retarded.

No matter why X feature is hidden under Y rock.
    Unintuitive interface is unintuitive.

I hope they flesh out the commander interfaces.
    As it stands, its a pain in the royal bumhole to learn. And it leads to a lot of unpleasant games at the moment.

Beating the other team should be where the challenge lies, not figuring out / finding buttons.
  • B1llyB1lly Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26653Members
    yes, command ui should and will be better in future.
    But i see there are many "fix it - it needs a change - omg it's op/up" thread, from newcomers.
    The first days won't be a real ns2 experience. who played 222-223-224-225 build knows what had to be fixed, because games were between people that understand the game mechanic.
    Today it is not.

For vets the main role today when they enter aserver with more than 5 greeenies should be to teach. For newcomers to learn.
    It's not time to change anything atm.

I have just a suggestion (that adds to the "help us help you" of the op): don't change your status from green newcomer to white "vet". We must know if you need help or not.
    In ns is not as in counterstrike, battlefield, cod etc. we are a frriendly community. newbies are not the ones to beat badly, they are the new recruits, that need a babysitting to be the friends of tomorrow.

If the most of the players are green, propose a 5 minute training, to explain structures and game mechanics, before the actual game. then f4 all and restart.
    us, as veterans, will lose 5 minutes to explain, they will gain much experience because they won't be attacked by anything and can focus on learning.
    I will propose it next games i'm in, as i will teach anyone asking or needing help.
    if you want to, add me to steam as friend and reach me in server (i'm italian, sorry for my mistakes when i speak in english).
    my steam name is Billy