Some tips for the Devs--hopefully you guys will read htis

AedandoAedando Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 164956Members
My computer's pretty low spec GPU wise (radeon 5450, plan on upgrading it around 6670 soon), but well off CPU wise (Athlon II X4 645 (Quad Core, 3.1 GHz) and at the moment I get anywhere from 25fps to 50 in regular matches, playing @ 640x480 res w/ everything on low and texture stream+multicore on.

I don't mind the low resolution (I actually use this on most games, even if I can play it in 720p/1080p w/ 60fps, I'm a sucker for 120+) but is there I way I could turn off some of the effects through the CFG?

I'd really like to get atleast 30fps constant in fights, and some of the effects annoy me, and I know if they were disabled my FPS would have an extreme boost. One example is the "glow" outline on teammates/downed enemies. I really don't need this to play, and I know it reduces FPS by a ton-- in other games where I can turn it off, turning it off gives me a huge boost.

Another effect that's pretty detrimental to my FPS is that motion blur stuff when I get speed upgrades as an alien-- my fps drops to like 25.

I'd really like to see you guys improve the performance of the engine, and give us further access to the game's graphical settings through CFGs.
You'd get a ton more sales on this game if you can increase the crowd of people that can play it--I bought my copy off of a guy on steam who had a 4 year old computer, was a veteran from NS1, and couldn't play the game because he was too poor to upgrade.

Comments

• BVKnightBVKnight Join Date: 2012-02-26 Member: 147496Members
    Eesh, that's low for 640x480. Turn off texture streaming, it's experimental and may do more harm than good.

You can turn off lots of effects in the in-game options, but I'm guessing you've already done that. The only other way would be to modify your options files in the game directory. If you do some poking around there you should find some config files that might have what you're looking for, but if you play on a server that enforces file consistency (which they will soon) then you won't be able to play.

Your CPU might not be as fast as you think it is. For reference, a Core i5 2500k is a good processor to run the game on. AT THE MOMENT, the game is very CPU dependent because of all the LUA code. If you can overclock your CPU, you might find some large fps gains.
  • ChickenOfWarChickenOfWar Join Date: 2003-04-09 Member: 15352Members
    Hate to break it to you but you're not actually 'well off' cpu-wise. <a href="http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+II+X4+645" target="_blank">http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+II+X4+645</a>

Still it would be nice if you could set the settings lower to actually have an effect. If I were you however I'd think about investing in a new CPU and mobo.
  • GuspazGuspaz Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2862Members, Constellation
    The X4 645 was a low-end chip when it came out, and that was a few generations ago, so it's not the most ideal chip for the game. It has about half the performance of an i5-2500k (talking pure math, like cinebench rendering), or about one third the performance of an i7-3770k. It's not a bad chip by any means, but since it's a low-end chip from 2010, it's very slow by today's standards.
  • AedandoAedando Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 164956Members
    edited November 2012
    hm
    It's pretty odd that I can play any modern game at 60fps+ if I put the res low (I don't mind it one bit-- just move the montior back), but not this game.
    Hopefully the devs will fix the CPU bottlenecking later on through some code restructure or something now that I know it's not my GPU since the res is on 640x480.

<!--quoteo(post=2004553:date=Nov 1 2012, 11:36 AM:name=ChickenOfWar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChickenOfWar @ Nov 1 2012, 11:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004553"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hate to break it to you but you're not actually 'well off' cpu-wise. <a href="http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+II+X4+645" target="_blank">http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+II+X4+645</a>

Still it would be nice if you could set the settings lower to actually have an effect. If I were you however I'd think about investing in a new CPU and mobo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not really interested in blowing all my money on a super high-end PC-- not gonna do it just for one game.
    I can play pretty much any game on the pc @ 1280x720 on low settings 60fps+, and 1024x768 @ medium w/ 60fps+. those are both my favorite resolutions, so I'm not limited in my choice of games.
    Going back to my final point, the devs/modders need to make this game accessible to low/med-end pc's, or else this game is going to have a premature death.
    The reason why games like TF2 have a thriving community is because the game is constantly updated, and the developers care about performance for low-spec pc's (recently a bug removed phong shading on radeon GFX cards, but the community liked it because it boosted FPS, and now they're going to make a console command to enable/disable it)-- hence why it's one of the most popular FPS's to date.
  • GuspazGuspaz Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2862Members, Constellation
    There's a lot more going on in NS2 than almost any other FPS... I mean, dynamic infestation? Covering large parts of the world with dynamic geometry has got to take a toll :P
    <!--quoteo(post=2005422:date=Nov 1 2012, 08:03 PM:name=Guspaz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Guspaz @ Nov 1 2012, 08:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2005422"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There's a lot more going on in NS2 than almost any other FPS... I mean, dynamic infestation? Covering large parts of the world with dynamic geometry has got to take a toll :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If the geometry changes in the world aren't game changing (just cosmetic), then I guess the devs could make an option so it's just texture changes instead of geometry changes for low spec pc's.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited November 2012
    Have you tried turning texture streaming off? I lost a lot of fps (i7 2600k @4.5, 570, SSD) by turning it on. Double check all your options are disabled or low (vsync off, shadows and the other fluff all off, infestation minimal). And multicore rending on. It looks like you've got most of this, but worth double checking.

Also I remember reading a post about new amd gpu drivers for ns2:
    <a href="http://www.reddit.com/r/ns2/comments/124k7c/those_with_amd_gpus_before_the_game_is_released/" target="_blank">http://www.reddit.com/r/ns2/comments/124k7...me_is_released/</a>
    edited November 2012
    Yep, I got that AMD CCC patch (12.10) right before TF2's halloween update came out-- it surprisingly increased my performance.

Also, turned texture streaming off and the game is now running anywhere from 40-50fps constant, woah.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=2005428:date=Nov 2 2012, 12:07 AM:name=Aedando)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aedando @ Nov 2 2012, 12:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2005428"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If the geometry changes in the world aren't game changing (just cosmetic), then I guess the devs could make an option so it's just texture changes instead of geometry changes for low spec pc's.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It is already an option in the main menu to turn the infestation from being geometry to just a texture.

--Cory
    edited November 2012
    I assume that's the "minimal" setting for infestation? awesome.

The game's playable (and fun!), just a lil laggy in big firefights.

You've got a real hit on your hands, try to ask the devs if it's possible to increase performance through patches and I think most people would be able to play this modern-gem.
  • DanielDDanielD Join Date: 2010-11-16 Member: 74960Members
    I tried to overclock my CPU from 3.2 to 3.8 so I could get more than 25 fps in combat and my computer threw up. Went to 3.5 instead and got no improvements..

That being said you could try overclocking.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    We plan on making some optimizations for particle effects, so hopefully that will help you out. Also, we definitely will think about some settings to control levels of effects... stay tuned and thanks for playing!
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    Fiddle around with your graphics under options. While the game may not look as cool, many times just turning off some simple thing will increase the fps by 20 to 40.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2005521:date=Nov 1 2012, 09:21 PM:name=Know pain)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Know pain @ Nov 1 2012, 09:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2005521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fiddle around with your graphics under options. While the game may not look as cool, many times just turning off some simple thing will increase the fps by 20 to 40.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Everything is at it's lowest... I don't mind the low resolution or gfx, I'm a ###### for FPS.
    <!--quoteo(post=2005520:date=Nov 1 2012, 09:21 PM:name=SteveRock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SteveRock @ Nov 1 2012, 09:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2005520"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We plan on making some optimizations for particle effects, so hopefully that will help you out. Also, we definitely will think about some settings to control levels of effects... stay tuned and thanks for playing!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Awesome.
    If there's one thing I can say about this game, it's OFF THE FREAKIN CHAIN! I love it.