Skinning Tutorial Mod

SiniStarRSiniStarR Join Date: 2010-04-13 Member: 71380Members
edited November 2012 in Modding
I'm not quite sure if this goes here, if a mod could move me to the right place if i'm wrong... well that'd be nice.

All day today and yesterday I have been getting lots of comments and ratings for my pistol(s) skin that I created a few builds back. I decided that it would be nice with the game being out that there is some kind of tutorial on how to do this.

On the Steam Workshop I have created a new mod called "Racing Arc (tutorial)". At first glance its just a skin, but I have created a video tutorial on the process of making your own skin mods! I hope this helps the community, both new and old. I am new at tutorials and NS2 modding but I think this will be pretty helpful. Maybe I could've worked a little harder on it, but considering I just did this today I think it's pretty good.

Enjoy!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipjqCKUSYU0&feature=youtu.be" target="_blank">YouTube Tutorial</a>

<a href="http://steamcommunity.com/id/shadowhuntertjm/myworkshopfiles/?appid=4920" target="_blank">My Workshop</a>

Comments

• FunkyFungusFunkyFungus Join Date: 2003-09-09 Member: 20691Members
    edited November 2012
    since the "modeling forum " is history, it is the right place

thank you very much :D
  • wanniewannie Join Date: 2012-07-28 Member: 154405Members
    Thanks for the know-how! :) great for the lvl designing, a quick question however..

If I wish to add new models (so re-texture) a model and then save it as a whole new model for current map project, how would I go around doing this as it is not a mod.
    Can I just copy the whole model contents, rename everything (as long as it is a same name) and it will all find each other?

Many thanks so far!
  • SiniStarRSiniStarR Join Date: 2010-04-13 Member: 71380Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2007006:date=Nov 2 2012, 03:19 PM:name=wannie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wannie @ Nov 2 2012, 03:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2007006"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thanks for the know-how! :) great for the lvl designing, a quick question however..

If I wish to add new models (so re-texture) a model and then save it as a whole new model for current map project, how would I go around doing this as it is not a mod.
    Can I just copy the whole model contents, rename everything (as long as it is a same name) and it will all find each other?

Many thanks so far!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think you would have to recompile the model with the texture. I haven't tried it but, the model file I believe is tied to a certain texture name. In otherwords,

You like a model called pipe1. But you want a 2nd version of pipe1 with just a different texture.

If you duplicated pipe1 and called the new one pipe2, then pipe2 would use pipe1's texture even if you duplicated pipe1's texture and renamed it pipe2. This is because pipe1's code says it needs to look for a texture with a certain name.

This is how it worked in the source engine and if I remember right you could use a hex program to change what texture a model looked for.

I will look into it, because this would be huge for mappers if they could easily change a models texture.

I could be wrong about this but if it's anything like source then this is how it works.