Questionable usefulness of Hydras.

2»

Comments

• PlunkiesPlunkies Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165217Members
    Woah! I just got the game on release and had no idea that hydras cost pres. No wonder I never have any money when I play gorge. Guess I'm never building hydras again.

Personally, I don't understand why they aren't free. I mean, when I thought they were free I still kind of felt like they were a waste of time to build. It never even occurred to me that hydras might cost something, especially since there isn't a ton of fun stuff for gorges to do in the first place.

This info is also going to deter me from playing gorge. If I pick gorge and intend to get the most use out of him, I'm essentially dedicating myself to gorge all game since the reduced income will prevent me from evolving into something bigger later.
  • ForssForss Join Date: 2011-10-30 Member: 130180Members
    edited November 2012
    How about making Hydras able to shot around corners like the "Hivehand" weapon in Half-life. Would make them a useful weapon against marines forward bases.

Also, it should be possible to move reclaim them. You shouldn't get any resources back but the next Hydra placed would be free.
  • Al_Ka_PwnAl_Ka_Pwn Join Date: 2007-12-26 Member: 63264Members
    Seriously, let them gas up a room, they can be placed on the ceiling, or hidden and marines have to find them to stop the gas. It's pretty simple and makes gorge more fun.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Hydras are fine but like clogs suffer from bad placement.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    They are exactly the same as turrets, and like turrets they are useless unsupported. Hydras just need to be placed correctly.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2008715:date=Nov 3 2012, 10:49 PM:name=Davil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Davil @ Nov 3 2012, 10:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008715"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They are exactly the same as turrets, and like turrets they are useless unsupported. Hydras just need to be placed correctly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't exactly see skulks rushing turrets on a routine basis hoping to chew down the battery before they get splattered.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    I still support the idea for Hydra maturity to increase its head count, to signify higher damage/longer range/more spikes per shot/etc stats changes.
  • Jonp_11Jonp_11 Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20161Members
    I also think Hydras need a minor buff. As many others have said, they aren't quite powerful enough to justify the pres cost. Any competent marine won't die to 3 hydras, proper placement only goes so far.
  • RMJRMJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155190Members
    That would actually be cool if hydras released gas so marines couldn see very well. interesting and awesome.