Wouldn't keeping the rooms pitch black make it funner?

JW360JW360 Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166478Members
I just bought this game yesterday, played for about 5 hours straight, and it's a lot of fun. But after playing alien for a couple hours, it started to get real old. The most exciting parts were when a room would go pitch black for a minute, (actually not even close to a minute) and there were marines in there. I thought if the rooms would stay pitch black after you took out the power node, or whatever it's called, this would be so much funner! It would make up for the lack of damage you can do as the spider alien thing, and also as human would be really creepy and make it really intense getting the power cell back up and working. I think it would really make this a lot funner.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    The general consensus is that dark areas tend to annoy most people, the reason why brighter maps are more popular. But yeah it would give the devs a reason to fix the bloody flashlight and also make EXO's more important when covering the marines welding the powernode. And of course an obs scan would make for interesting motion tracking play. The thing is, people would rather fight players instead of fighting the environment...
  • KenichiKenichi This is not a pie. Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2941Members, NS1 Playtester
    I agree that we need some more darkness, but too much would swing things too in favor of the Kharaa. I do miss the darker maps of NS1.

English nit-picky moment: Funner isn't a word! More fun please.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2008476:date=Nov 3 2012, 01:39 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Nov 3 2012, 01:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008476"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The general consensus is that dark areas tend to annoy most people, the reason why brighter maps are more popular. But yeah it would give the devs a reason to fix the bloody flashlight and also make EXO's more important when covering the marines welding the powernode. And of course an obs scan would make for interesting motion tracking play. The thing is, people would rather fight players instead of fighting the environment...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah as funny as it would be for aliens, its not fun for marines. Their flashlights are pretty poor.

You can still hide pretty well in those red light rooms though. It blends the aliens skin into the wall.
  • AlpharogueAlpharogue Join Date: 2012-10-17 Member: 162553Members
    I think that on some maps some areas should have the power naturally down, and the marines would have to then turn the power on, rather than all the lights being on from start.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2008485:date=Nov 3 2012, 08:45 PM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Nov 3 2012, 08:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008485"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah as funny as it would be for aliens, its not fun for marines. Their flashlights are pretty poor.

You can still hide pretty well in those red light rooms though. It blends the aliens skin into the wall.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I for some reason have no problem with the flashlight. Perhaps they could tone down the atmospherics a bit (just turn down the strength a wee bit perhaps).

Anyways...

I could do with a bit more darkness when the lights go off. Probably by making the emergency lighting not so intense
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    You know what would be legit? Giving the Fade Vortex ability an actual purpose, and allow him to phase out Power Nodes and black out the area for a few seconds.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2008506:date=Nov 3 2012, 09:10 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 3 2012, 09:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008506"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You know what would be legit? Giving the Fade Vortex ability an actual purpose, and allow him to phase out Power Nodes and black out the area for a few seconds.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That is really really op. I am pretty sure I used to be able to do this when vortex first came out.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    And maybe a brightness / gamma slider?
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited November 2012
    i kinda like the lighting cycle.

black = can't see anything, need flashlight
    red = very poor vision, need flashlight, looks cool

if things stayed black it would be stupid... imagine losing power to one of your bases, pitch black - it would just be super annoying. not to mention that if you lose control of an area to alien, then it would remain totally black until the power is repaired and aliens would be forced to use 'nightvision' all the time.

the blinking red light adds so much tension, without being a boring light on - light off. i also like the 'lore' that the power node damage causes the power to blow entirely before the reserve power kicks in (red lights).
  • RiCexEaTeRRiCexEaTeR Join Date: 2010-05-10 Member: 71700Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    yes i like fighting in dark rooms. +1.

how about this

X---Y---Z

If room X with destroyed power is adjacent to a room Y with power, then room X would have red lights

if room X destroyed power and room Y also destroyed power then room X would be black and room Y would be red given room Z had power.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2008657:date=Nov 3 2012, 10:11 PM:name=RiCexEaTeR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RiCexEaTeR @ Nov 3 2012, 10:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008657"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yes i like fighting in dark rooms. +1.

how about this

X---Y---Z

If room X with destroyed power is adjacent to a room Y with power, then room X would have red lights

if room X destroyed power and room Y also destroyed power then room X would be black and room Y would be red given room Z had power.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That could work, but I'd like to see power nodes:

1) Take longer to repair. With a welder, it can be fixed by one guy in just 12 seconds.

2) Cost the marines tres to replace.

I also proposed leaving areas unpowered that don't have nodes socketed (the alien hive, for example) and making infestation dim lights and mess up emergency lighting in areas it's spread to. I'm tired of the hive rooms being all cheery and well-lit because nobody has built a node in there for the aliens to destroy.