Does anyone else find it slightly comical that you're using ancient weapons?

sharnrocksharnrock Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166084Members
I mean; they have teleportation, intergalactic travel capabilities, and the ability to heal a critically wounded human to perfect health in seconds... Yet, they are using weapons first developed in the 1930's for WW2. The flamethrower, shotgun, assualt rifle..

I really love the game, but the thought of a space traveler having to chop down a hive with a hatchet just makes me giggle.

Comments

• CyanisticCyanistic Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166793Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2009863:date=Nov 4 2012, 01:07 PM:name=sharnrock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sharnrock @ Nov 4 2012, 01:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009863"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I mean; they have teleportation, intergalactic travel capabilities, and the ability to heal a critically wounded human to perfect health in seconds... Yet, they are using weapons first developed in the 1930's for WW2. The flamethrower, shotgun, assualt rifle..

I really love the game, but the thought of a space traveler having to chop down a hive with a hatchet just makes me giggle.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sometimes the classic is just better.
    Besides, maybe this is the only way to effectively combat the aliens, maybe their armor and skin has a very high resistance against the new technology?
  • spaceturtlespaceturtle Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154714Members
    The marine weapons use magical nano bullets.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    In the general sci-fi explanation.

The Kharaa bacterium conflicts with the Frontiersmen nanites and most of the hi-tech weaponry is disabled. So they have to resort to low-tech solutions to to go and kill the hive.
  • RadiocageRadiocage Join Date: 2002-09-30 Member: 1381Members
    Yeah, the mobile siege cannons that fire death lasers through walls were a turning point for the allies in WWII.
  • sharnrocksharnrock Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166084Members
    Maybe the humans treat it as a right of passage like in aliens vs. predator: the movie?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2009872:date=Nov 4 2012, 06:12 PM:name=spaceturtle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spaceturtle @ Nov 4 2012, 06:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009872"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The marine weapons use magical nano bullets.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    5.56x33mm Subsonic NyTrilium 88 Ammunition to be exact :P

@sharnrock, the TSF aren't that rich, so they have to use the most efficient and cost effective weaponry available. which is of course still the awesome firepower that is bullit!
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNhYJgDdCu4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNhYJgDdCu4</a>

or maybe this? I guess I answered my own question.
  • duvelduvel Join Date: 2004-02-09 Member: 26318Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
  • AzathothAzathoth Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166149Members
    Dakk-Dakka-Dakka is cooler than pew-pew-pew.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    Railgun would be nice at some point
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well, you know, humanity.. it has the strange talent to keep some strange habits through out history.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    I don't think the concept of using mass x acceleration to kill people is going anywhere for awhile. A bullet is just an object of low relative mass accelerated to extreme speed to cause large damage. I assume they just have heavier bullets and more efficient guns in the future.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2009863:date=Nov 4 2012, 02:07 PM:name=sharnrock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sharnrock @ Nov 4 2012, 02:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009863"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I mean; they have teleportation, intergalactic travel capabilities, and the ability to heal a critically wounded human to perfect health in seconds... Yet, they are using weapons first developed in the 1930's for WW2. The flamethrower, shotgun, assualt rifle..

I really love the game, but the thought of a space traveler having to chop down a hive with a hatchet just makes me giggle.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Dont you find it amusing how modern armies use antique weaponry? Like shotguns, assault rifles, smgs, tanks lololololol///
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2009863:date=Nov 4 2012, 01:07 PM:name=sharnrock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sharnrock @ Nov 4 2012, 01:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009863"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I mean; they have teleportation, intergalactic travel capabilities, and the ability to heal a critically wounded human to perfect health in seconds... Yet, they are using weapons first developed in the 1930's for WW2. The flamethrower, shotgun, assualt rifle..

No one is actually going to be shooting lasers when we get into space. Kinetic weapons are the present and future of combat.
  • RaphRaph Join Date: 2011-02-21 Member: 82791Members
    Isn't it facinating that now, when computers are so much a part of our life, that we still use ineficient keyboard technology of the late 19s? I'm looking at you, QWERTY!

We are creatures of habit.
    That's why aliens are gonna eat us!
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited November 2012

You must be new to action sci-fi. :p
  • SherwoodSherwood Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157696Members
    Weapons really don't change all that much, Bullets are just spears in a smaller form. Instead of being thrown by hand we made a machine to throw them.

Stick > Spear > Arrow > crossbow > Musket > Gun > Machine Gun

Sure we refine the design but it is still just a spear chucker.

As for axes Even marines today still carry bayonets/knives as part of there regular compliment. The reasons to carry one always outweigh the reasons not to in a combat situation. Axe is even better then a knive and if you noticed its kind of furturistic foldaway axe made out of probably super metals.

Flamethrower, Fire is a very good weapon lol why change a classic? We just make it hotter (napalm, Super napalm, ect) Pretty sure the ns2 flammers are packing some crazy stuff.

In retrospect weapons have just always been the same we make em better and better but they are generally the same forever.
  • ZenoZeno Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62183Members
    It would actually be more comical to pew-pew aliens with lightnings, laz0rs, independently targeting particle beam phalanxes, tactical smart missiles, phase-plasma pulse rifles, sonic electronic ball breakers....
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    edited November 2012
    At the Trans-System Authority Council Meeting of 2291, held at an undisclosed asteroid base in the Struve 2398 star system, hand-held laser weaponry of any kind was deemed "######" (edit: "cheerful") and a total ban was implemented. Critics and those fond of pointy ears and much to tight unisex outfits argue that the official stance is no more than a smokescreen and blame budget cuts as the real reason for the ban.
    <!--quoteo(post=2010068:date=Nov 4 2012, 04:49 PM:name=Sherwood)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sherwood @ Nov 4 2012, 04:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010068"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Weapons really don't change all that much, Bullets are just spears in a smaller form. Instead of being thrown by hand we made a machine to throw them.

Stick > Spear > Arrow > crossbow > Musket > Gun > Machine Gun

Sure we refine the design but it is still just a spear chucker.

As for axes Even marines today still carry bayonets/knives as part of there regular compliment. The reasons to carry one always outweigh the reasons not to in a combat situation. Axe is even better then a knive and if you noticed its kind of furturistic foldaway axe made out of probably super metals.

Flamethrower, Fire is a very good weapon lol why change a classic? We just make it hotter (napalm, Super napalm, ect) Pretty sure the ns2 flammers are packing some crazy stuff.

In retrospect weapons have just always been the same we make em better and better but they are generally the same forever.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would say an atomic bomb would be pretty different than a spear. But a gun is still much more similar to a gun than a spear. 1000 years ago we didn't have ANY guns.

Ya, modern armies use machine guns, just like 70-80 years ago (except the scopes that allow you to see in the dark or infra red, or a bunch of other stuff that the marines in this game don't seem to have). Wait another 1000 years and I doubt guns with lead bullets fired from a cartridge will be used for war. War evolves along with technology. That's the point.

Half-life 1 had the eon
    Doom had the BFG
    Were these pew pew guns? I thought they were fun to use.

Anyway, I thought it was kinda funny, but apparently everyone else thinks it's spot on with the rate of technology... Just forget I brought it up.
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    the traditional gun and bullet lobby holds sway with the TSF.
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    Who said they're lead bullets, maybe they're wolfram tipped bullets.
    Pew-pew plasma rifles that never need to be reloaded but have an overheating mechanic might be interesting, but they'll probably overlap roles or just be too OP.
    <!--quoteo(post=2010100:date=Nov 4 2012, 04:16 PM:name=sharnrock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sharnrock @ Nov 4 2012, 04:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010100"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would say an atomic bomb would be pretty different than a spear. But a gun is still much more similar to a gun than a spear. 1000 years ago we didn't have ANY guns.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Gunpowder> Nitrous > TNT > C1 > C2 > C3 > C4 > Atomic > Nuclear > Tactical Nuclear(smaller nukes because big ones are too big)

For all you know the nades/mines in ns2 could be using some futuristic fission bomb type explosive.

And Guns are actually identical to spears, arrows, bolts and the like. Just the means of propulsion has changed and because of that the speed/distance of the projectile changes. The concept is still the same take a metal point and force it into your target.

The wooden shaft is just the means of propolsion the deadly bit is the metal tip I.E. The bullet or spear head. Take a look at some modern day bullets they are almost the same size as a spear head.

<a href="https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0Tk6LBOJ8-wuZziJQYTC7LD_to_sUhztwr1mqq0-4oVy_3TkU" target="_blank">https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q...1mqq0-4oVy_3TkU</a>

I understand what your talking about, Technology<--- but often times technology just follows the proven correct paths. Besides the ARC's do use a new form of weaponry but it only damages buildings. Proving often times new tech is not better then improving old tech, Like nanite bullets and Non Newtonian liquid reinforced armors.
  • godriflegodrifle Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58815Members
    edited November 2012
    Hi, science fiction enthusiast here.

From a design standpoint, ballistics will always be more satisfying than lasers. Bullets have a very real and swift sense of death that's been thoroughly expanded by the media. We know they're deadly, and they have a complex mechanism (reload, chamber) that a lot of people enjoy and understand. Guns are cool, especially when you're designing a budget game and need to look for real world inspirations. Need I go any further than point to the pistol in NS2? The artbook specifically shows that the WW2 Luger was used as a base!

Guns are cool. Next step: Define why guns are OK to use in NS2. This one's tough. We can look at other media for examples.

Mass Effect 3: The game's NAME, Mass Effect, is what drives bullets. A tiny pellet is shaved off a block and uses a mass acceleration technology to drive it into supersonic speeds. That's exactly what the lore says. That's CREATIVE, but they're still stupid bullets in the end.

Alien: They use M4A1 Pulse Rifles. There's no actual pulse to these bullets however. They're just caseless bullets, and we already have caseless bullets. They basically did what NS2 did: No explanation on why ballistics still exist.

Dead Space: Of course you have kickass laser weapons! Oh wait, your character is just an engineer. All he gets is a plasma cutter which is used for mining and technical work. The 211-V Plasma Cutter is a hand-portable mineral cutter manufactured by Schofield Tools. Dead Space has the best lore explanation on their weapons, but then again they don't use ballistics either.

My own stuff: In the near future, humanity has just been accepted to the galactic society of aliens. The friendly aliens think human beings are stupid. As a result, the galactic council does not allow humans to even use the alien laser tech. Humans are stuck with their own ballistics in 2100, but they're allowed to use borrowed alien space travel tech for commerce.

NS2: We have phase gates, arc guns that can fire through walls, and armories that can "print" guns. Tell me why I can't have a gun printed that allows me to shoot through walls? We have observatories. Why can't my gun be an observatory, and an arc cannon at the same time? My consciousness is reuploaded after death in seconds to an infantry portal. Marines are copy pasted like the guns they hold. Why can't there be 10 of me fighting by my side?
    Because that would be overpowered and game design would not allow that. But their technology DOES allow that. The lesson is that NS2 could use a better lore explanation for these things for those like me that ask these questions. But most people do not ask these questions. They just play the game.
  • RowenRowen Join Date: 2012-05-04 Member: 151545Members
    The really puzzling thing is that they have to research the weaponry every time they're deployed.

"This weapon we've invented on the spot? let's never ever talk about it again"
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    Arcs, like siege cannons can fire through walls because they use resonating ultrasonic waves.
    You probably can't have a handheld siege cannon because it takes ages for it to fire while it calculates the optima; resonance angle of the target.
    Marines just move too much and it'll never lock on properly without a proper solid base and chassis.

That's my take on it.
    <!--quoteo(post=2010127:date=Nov 4 2012, 04:38 PM:name=Rowen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rowen @ Nov 4 2012, 04:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010127"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The really puzzling thing is that they have to research the weaponry every time they're deployed.

"This weapon we've invented on the spot? let's never ever talk about it again"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Eh the games are done within the aspect of this is the first time marines have fought kharra and vica versa, so you always have to research your tech trees to gain the advantage.

Civilization comes to mind with a progressive story line of stone age > steel age fighting where each and every era was different. But we don't have different eras we are stuck in the one era with no advancement. Makes perfect sense to me, besides just the ability to improve tech onsite in a warzone is pretty "high tech" to me. Pretty sure we can't do that with more then duct tape and wire =p/
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2010133:date=Nov 4 2012, 09:42 PM:name=Onii-chan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Onii-chan @ Nov 4 2012, 09:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010133"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Arcs, like siege cannons can fire through walls because they use resonating ultrasonic waves.
    You probably can't have a handheld siege cannon because it takes ages for it to fire while it calculates the optima; resonance angle of the target.
    Marines just move too much and it'll never lock on properly without a proper solid base and chassis.

That's my take on it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sure, you can debunk the possibility of portable arcs. You can even shoot down the fact that an EXO can be holding an arc (and EXOs can hold still just as well as arcs themselves can). It still doesn't change the fact that Marines do not have a creative high tech ballistics/laser solution for the Khaara threat, other than an arms lab.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2010139:date=Nov 4 2012, 01:45 PM:name=Sherwood)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sherwood @ Nov 4 2012, 01:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010139"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Eh the games are done within the aspect of this is the first time marines have fought kharra and vica versa, so you always have to research your tech trees to gain the advantage.

Civilization comes to mind with a progressive story line of stone age > steel age fighting where each and every era was different. But we don't have different eras we are stuck in the one era with no advancement. Makes perfect sense to me, besides just the ability to improve tech onsite in a warzone is pretty "high tech" to me. Pretty sure we can't do that with more then duct tape and wire =p/<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think it's more or less because each place has been abandoned and the marines are coming back in. So of course they have to upgrade their old technology to new stuff in order to get the newer weapons.
    I like how a common explanation in this thread is that the Marines are just "using a better, more powerful version of what we already have".

Right. Shotguns that need to be pumped. We have armories that print guns. Why can't our guns print ammo to make them infinite? (maybe Exos do?). Hey Comm, drop me some ammo. No, not next to me. Inside my gun please.