Infestation

KiaiKiai Join Date: 2012-01-16 Member: 140856Members
<div class="IPBDescription">now and future</div>I hope defensive cysts are placed more in strategic locations. This means laying down more cysts than needed to ensure you can always rupture on a nearby marine. For example having extra cysts in any hive room or double res on Veil waiting to pop as soon as your alien forces engange battle.

In terms of future improvements, the infestation mechanic would benefit by making it more "aggresive". Infestation should disable (not destroy) power nodes. Once the power node is fully infested after 30-60 seconds, power goes down, but the node is not destroyed (perhaps a different lighting mechanic such as ultra-dim flourescents instead of red light). During this time, if aliens choose to attack the power node it takes extra damage. This reduces how long you need to chomp on power nodes (a plus), and allows the Khamm to influence a rooms power/lighting with infestation. This is in-line with the Khamm's cosmic gardener style: if an alien lifeform walks into a room where the power node is infested, and the lights are out, that alien is more inclined to destroy the power since it requires less time and will set the marines back even further.

Infestation should also be able to disable marine structures in similar way to power nodes. Infestation crawls over a marine structure disabling it in 30-60 seconds.

Comments

• RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    I hate rupture, but i'd like to see cysts upgraded to automatically explode on people or something similar.

Its a trap!
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    Rupture no longer kills cysts BTW, it just resets their maturity.
    I'd also like infestation to affect lights slightly.

Also rooms without power nodes should have more dim, grey-yellow lights instead of the perfect neon white ones they currently have.

It would make territorial control much clearer:

Marine controlled area = white neon clear lights
    Alien controlled area = dim lights with infestation everywhere, red lights if it was recently re-captured
    Uncontested/light skirmish area = dim lights that flicker every 10 seconds.
    Contested/heavy skirmish area = pitch black then red emergency lights
  • Bloodshot12Bloodshot12 Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152578Members
    I think the infestation should actually grow over some cysts when they are mature, to hide them sort of. It would make the flamethrower more useful as a tool for clearing infestation, and it would probably reduce some of the frustration of expansion.
  • KiaiKiai Join Date: 2012-01-16 Member: 140856Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2010110:date=Nov 4 2012, 02:26 PM:name=Onii-chan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Onii-chan @ Nov 4 2012, 02:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010110"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Rupture no longer kills cysts BTW, it just resets their maturity.
    I'd also like infestation to affect lights slightly.

Also rooms without power nodes should have more dim, grey-yellow lights instead of the perfect neon white ones they currently have.

It would make territorial control much clearer:

Marine controlled area = white neon clear lights
    Alien controlled area = dim lights with infestation everywhere, red lights if it was recently re-captured
    Uncontested/light skirmish area = dim lights that flicker every 10 seconds.
    Contested/heavy skirmish area = pitch black then red emergency lights<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes rupture only resets their maturity, but instead of waiting for a cyst to mature after rupturing, you could have a spare mature cyst nearby. Or if marines are attacking cysts at double res for example, keeping redundant cysts increases the probability of a successful rupture.