Gorges -> Mini-Upgrades

includeinclude aka RpTheHotrodDallas, TX Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12027Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
edited November 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
The gorge could really use something to do other than running around trying to heal faster aliens. Gorges used to have their unique ability to create small "outposts" outside of the hive to support their fellow kharaa. It was a really fun class. In NS2, that is completely missing.

I'd really like to see Gorges have the ability to drop smaller versions of the "upgrade" buildings. However, these buildings do not count towards upgrades, and there must be at least one alien commander dropped upgrade of the same type in order for a Gorge to drop them. Each Gorge dropped mini-upgrade building has half the effect than a commander dropped building.

This would give back the team role Gorges used to have in setting up forwarded bases for kharaa brethren to fallback to and would also creative incentive to utilize more of the frontiersmen content, such as ARC turrets.

Comments

• fornaxxxfornaxxx Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167357Members
    I agree with boosting george
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited November 2012
    This is an excellent idea.

Mini crags, shades, and shifts that gorges could build would be awesome and would make gorging a lot more useful and versatile.

For shades, the area effect of cloak would be smaller, or maybe not a complete cloak (it's already like this isn't it?), and no ink, or hallucination. Or maybe have only active cloak (like in the beta a while back) and no passive cloak - i.e. it has to be activated by the gorge or other player or commander to take effect, and it is temporary, and has a cooldown before it can be activated again.

For crags, maybe a slower heal rate, and no active heal. Somebody on the forums had the idea of a structure gorges could build where you could healspray this structure, and fill it up with healspray, and it uses it as a health tank to heal the structure while you're not around. But once it runs out of healspray (i.e. the tank runs empty) it can't heal anymore until it is filled up again. That's also a good idea for a mini crag.

For shifts. No eggs. And maybe a smaller energy effect.

Perhaps don't allow the effects of mini shifts and/or crags to stack, and have a limit on how many you can build (mini shades included).

It would also be good if they can be built off infestation. I often like to gorge in odd places unreachable by infestation (and often, marines) so I can bile bomb, heal hydra's out of rifle fire, or dropping hydra+clog 'bombs' on people. For example: the tall platform behind cargo hive in veil, the pipe above locker rooms hive in docking. I often wish I could build a crag or shift or shade, or at least have the commander do it for me, but such places are unreachable by infestation and the commander.

Smart structure placement is still important in ns2, but it's lacking in comparison to ns1 due to restrictions on where buildings can be built. Everything has to be placed from the top down commander interface, and only on infestation (and you're limited to how you can spread that infestation due to the inability to place cysts on walls cause of the birds-eye view). As a result, you can't place crags in vents. Or a shade up on one of the pipes in pipeline. Or a shift up in the roof outside operations in mineshift. Because of infestation and moving pretty much all building to the commander role, interesting structure placement has suffered.
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    edited November 2012
    Could maybe give the gorge a structure that generates infestation separately from a hive.
    Then with the gorge and the commanders CO-OPERATION the gorge could build forward bases.

I honestly do not see why the gorge cannot build the structures the comm has already researched...
    If comm can drop pre-evolved eggs why cant the gorge build crags? I am tired of seeing gorges with
    100 res they arn't spending... Let them drop whips for 15 res for all I care... xD
  • frmehefrmehe Join Date: 2012-07-08 Member: 153980Members
    this will never happend, this game is made for e-sports.
  • ApocalipsusApocalipsus Join Date: 2003-10-21 Member: 21838Members
    I have to agree with the fact that Gorge should be a bit more then "healing spray" on the early game.
    I think gorges should be able to build cysts to help the alien commander.

Also the hydras are quite crappy. I can't kill 2 marine with 2 hydras, even if im healing them (the hydras). They just machine gun them down.