Is NS2 graphically optimized well?

jsw1188jsw1188 Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167701Members
I'm wondering because my laptop:

Intel Core i3 CPU: M350 @ 2.27 ghz (4 CPUs)
4 gigs of RAM
Nvidia Geforce 310M

I have to run TF2 and Dota 2 on fairly low settings to get playable FPS. Would I be able to run NS2 at a comfortable FPS as well? I've heard NS2 is more CPU based, but I have no idea frankly.

Comments

• SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    You would not be able to play comfortably.
  • ApheiroxApheirox Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167297Members
    I run on a 'gaming laptop' (please - I don't need you telling me how horrible laptops are - THANK YOU) so I expect poor results, but NS2 is absolute murder, even on minimal (and I do mean minimal) settings. I'm able to run every other FPS I'm interested in - modern ones, like the excellent freebies Blacklight and Tribes: Ascend - perfectly well. I do think the performance I'm seeing is lower than should be expected compared to similar games.

I think it's only fair to assume NS2 might not be... optimally optimized, given how many things in the game clearly show off that the game really is still a work-in-progress. I'm not trying to bash NS2 for the sake of it but it <i>is </i>a paid beta (which is both good and bad, it does mean it's getting loads of dev attention as well and the devs clearly are ambitious about their game). Wouldn't be surprised to see changelogs state that 'we've made adjustments, framerates should now be slightly better' in the future.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's definitely far more intensive than TF2. If you can't run that at high settings I don't see NS2 being playable.
  • GuspazGuspaz Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2862Members, Constellation
    The GeForce 310 is on par with current generation Intel graphics. I would argue the game is unplayable with that, but Hugh was claiming his laptop with Intel graphics ran the game playably :P

But no, basically, you don't really want to play the game on that hardware :(
  • GigausGigaus Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166447Members
    Simply, no. In earnest, it doesn't really matter what you have, the games engine and graphics aren't optomized right, so even with a powerful PC, you'll be looking at less than 30 FPS, no matter what you do. It's currently an issue with the game that'll probably kill it.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2013190:date=Nov 6 2012, 10:39 PM:name=Gigaus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gigaus @ Nov 6 2012, 10:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013190"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Simply, no. In earnest, it doesn't really matter what you have, the games engine and graphics aren't optomized right, so even with a powerful PC, you'll be looking at less than 30 FPS, no matter what you do. It's currently an issue with the game that'll probably kill it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That isn't true.
  • Taz-Taz- Australia Join Date: 2003-11-26 Member: 23597Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2013190:date=Nov 7 2012, 08:39 AM:name=Gigaus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gigaus @ Nov 7 2012, 08:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013190"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Simply, no. In earnest, it doesn't really matter what you have, the games engine and graphics aren't optomized right, so even with a powerful PC, you'll be looking at less than 30 FPS, no matter what you do. It's currently an issue with the game that'll probably kill it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Very untrue, the last few patches have seen most people with modern hardware up to constant 60+ smooth.
  • giogio Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155618Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2013190:date=Nov 6 2012, 01:39 PM:name=Gigaus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gigaus @ Nov 6 2012, 01:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013190"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Simply, no. In earnest, it doesn't really matter what you have, the games engine and graphics aren't optomized right, so even with a powerful PC, you'll be looking at less than 30 FPS, no matter what you do. It's currently an issue with the game that'll probably kill it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I must disagree with that last statement. You know I built a gaming computer (this one I'm typing from) with NS2 in mind. Peopla are diehard crazies.
  • SvKSvK Join Date: 2010-06-30 Member: 72214Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2013190:date=Nov 6 2012, 04:39 PM:name=Gigaus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gigaus @ Nov 6 2012, 04:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013190"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Simply, no. In earnest, it doesn't really matter what you have, the games engine and graphics aren't optomized right, so even with a powerful PC, you'll be looking at less than 30 FPS, no matter what you do. It's currently an issue with the game that'll probably kill it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I will add my /wrong to this as well.
  • ScubboScubbo Join Date: 2012-10-03 Member: 161364Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2013190:date=Nov 7 2012, 10:39 AM:name=Gigaus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gigaus @ Nov 7 2012, 10:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013190"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Simply, no. In earnest, it doesn't really matter what you have, the games engine and graphics aren't optomized right, so even with a powerful PC, you'll be looking at less than 30 FPS, no matter what you do. It's currently an issue with the game that'll probably kill it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

heh, I sit at 60fps constant in the thick of it all at max details / 1080p / ambient oc / AA / ANSIO / texture filtering set to Highest Quality in nvidia CP...

specs of my machine in sig :)
  • GuspazGuspaz Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2862Members, Constellation
    There's a big difference, however, between high-end hardware, and the GeForce 310, which is slower than integrated graphics...
  • DogfaceDogface Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167225Members
    FWIW, I can play perfectly fine on my old dual-core 2.8GHz, Nvidia 8800GT and 4GB RAM. On the lowest settings, admittedly, but it still looks great. They must have optimised it a hell of a lot because my PC could never handle the older builds. I don't know what FPS I'm getting exactly, but I'm guessing 20-30 depending on conditions. Of course, if you're one of these people that freaks out if it's below 60FPS, that may be a problem for you. Personally I don't care as long as it's not a slideshow!
  • |R18|Zerg|R18|Zerg Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167745Members
    I get a solid 150 fps, (120 of which i can see and use :P ).

High end machine runs sweet this game, low end not so bad, but their is a minimum bar, your onboard gfx prolly wont cut it, just like it would barely run the (now ancient ) CS:Source.
  • d.n.M.d.n.M. Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166826Members
    90% of the game runs really nice and smooth. Just in very big fights when most of the players clash in a single room with many structures fps will drop. While this is very noticable it's still playable (C2Q @ 3,5Ghz).