My Feedback

RedDragonGeckoRedDragonGecko Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10564Members
edited November 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">after 30 hours</div>Coming from someone with many thousands of hours into NS1

In no particular order

-<!--coloro:#4169E1--><span style="color:#4169E1"><!--/coloro-->Hit Registration<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> is terrible

-<!--coloro:#4169E1--><span style="color:#4169E1"><!--/coloro-->Balance <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->does not scale with team size

-<!--coloro:#4169E1--><span style="color:#4169E1"><!--/coloro-->Commander mode<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> alerts you to your buildings under attack about 50% of the time

-<!--coloro:#4169E1--><span style="color:#4169E1"><!--/coloro-->Alien Sight<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> is oppressive and garish
makes cloaked units and buildings near invisible
makes Gorge projectiles near invisible
makes identifying your surroundings/learning the map very difficult

-<!--coloro:#4169E1--><span style="color:#4169E1"><!--/coloro-->Lmg Spread<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> seems a bit too tight/very easy to snipe with

-<!--coloro:#4169E1--><span style="color:#4169E1"><!--/coloro-->Alien Team<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> is a bit dull without res for kills (yeah thats right)

-<!--coloro:#4169E1--><span style="color:#4169E1"><!--/coloro-->Flamethrower <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->an 'end game' weapon thats nearly useless against higher life forms (though it does have its uses)

-<!--coloro:#4169E1--><span style="color:#4169E1"><!--/coloro-->Marine Flashlight<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> is it on fire? Why does it look so smoky to others? The Exo lights seem fine.

Other Thoughts

-<!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro-->Exo <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->should limit its aim swing to about 90 degrees vertically (so it can't aim at its own feet or its head)
single gun exo should have a welder

-<!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro-->Armory Welding<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> should be reduced to about half speed of a normal welder
and/or welding and healing should have to be done in the buy menu (still free though)

Comments

• DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    hit reg is terrible? surely you jest. not saying it's perfect but it's literally night and day compared to what it was in alpha and beta.

the lack of reliable commander alerts is the bane of my existence atm. unless bugged, i thought there was a priority sound queue for things like command station being attacked. i'd love to see a future feature of letting us decide which alerts drown out the rest. chairs, power nodes, observatories would be up there for me.
  • FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    -I love the hazy lighting effects, don't you dare even mess with those. The assault rifle/LMG is perfect, this is no traditional shooter that requires that (and it's the future for Pete's sake).

-In regards to the balance vs size issue, name me one game comparable to this that shifts values according to player count.

-Flamethrower needs a buff, agreed.

-Hit reg seems fine; I've never felt cheated.

-I'm indifferent to alien sight.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited November 2012
    agreed on pretty much every single point except rifle spread, I'm okay with its balance right now. it's pretty fair considering weapons 1 / 2 / 3, the spread is not the issue with it.

DJPenguin: interp is still pretty questionably high, and yeah there are still hit registry issues
  • RedDragonGeckoRedDragonGecko Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10564Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2013201:date=Nov 6 2012, 04:48 PM:name=Fappuchino)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fappuchino @ Nov 6 2012, 04:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013201"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-In regards to the balance vs size issue, name me one game comparable to this that shifts values according to player count.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

TF2 maintains team balance with a variable team size.

Sure there are differences between the games but thats not really the point.

People tend to play on servers with a larger player base because bigger = better is a common opinion

These players get decimated as Alien on these large server over and over again.

When their friend asks if he should buy NS2 the person says hell no, the balance is terrible.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=2013201:date=Nov 6 2012, 01:48 PM:name=Fappuchino)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fappuchino @ Nov 6 2012, 01:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013201"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-In regards to the balance vs size issue, name me one game comparable to this that shifts values according to player count.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    uhh... what? name one game that has changing mechanics based on player count like a resource distribution system?
  • FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2013221:date=Nov 6 2012, 03:05 PM:name=RedDragonGecko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RedDragonGecko @ Nov 6 2012, 03:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013221"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->TF2 maintains team balance with a variable team size.

People tend to play on servers with a larger player base because bigger = better is a common opinion

When their friend asks if he should buy NS2 the person says hell no, the balance is terrible.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    But this is a map issue I'd say...
  • RedDragonGeckoRedDragonGecko Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10564Members
    The problem is expansion.

Marines ability to expand scales with team size.
    Aliens do not.

There are other issues as well but that is the bulk of it.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2013221:date=Nov 6 2012, 05:05 PM:name=RedDragonGecko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RedDragonGecko @ Nov 6 2012, 05:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013221"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->TF2 maintains team balance with a variable team size.

When their friend asks if he should buy NS2 the person says hell no, the balance is terrible.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Team Fortress 2 isn't asymmetrical. It's easier to balance if both sides are exactly the same...

Any examples of multiplayer shooters with vastly different teams that balance doesn't change slightly at different team sizes? Besides, I think balance maintains pretty well with increased player count. Marines may have a slight edge in 12v12, but nothing to be too concerned about.
  • yehawmcgrawyehawmcgraw Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159694Members
    OP: Very good assessments, Like the exo angle restriction and everything else you say. I don't think armory should even weld though.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2013359:date=Nov 7 2012, 10:41 AM:name=yehawmcgraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yehawmcgraw @ Nov 7 2012, 10:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013359"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->OP: Very good assessments, Like the exo angle restriction and everything else you say. I don't think armory should even weld though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The armoury shouldn't weld humans or exos
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    I agree with the Commander alerts.

On the same token, I also don't understand why a structure/Marine player NEVER BLINKS <!--coloro:#8B0000--><span style="color:#8B0000"><!--/coloro-->RED<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->, but blinks (and a very SLOW blink rate) the SAME color of the icon on the map.

I have to spend a second to see if a structure is actually under attack via mini-map.

Again, yet another example on why going back to NS1 basics would solve SO many problems (Faster blinking-red icon, and on a different note, Fade Metabolize/Acid Rocket, Focus.)
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2013221:date=Nov 6 2012, 10:05 PM:name=RedDragonGecko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RedDragonGecko @ Nov 6 2012, 10:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013221"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->TF2 maintains team balance with a variable team size.

if you have >2 demo players per team, some of the maps become ridiculously favourable for the defending team due to the insane choke points.

competitive tf2 is 6v6 with class limits for a reason you know.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2013184:date=Nov 6 2012, 09:37 PM:name=RedDragonGecko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RedDragonGecko @ Nov 6 2012, 09:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013184"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Coming from someone with many thousands of hours into NS1

In no particular order

-<!--coloro:#4169E1--><span style="color:#4169E1"><!--/coloro-->Hit Registration<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> is terrible

-<!--coloro:#4169E1--><span style="color:#4169E1"><!--/coloro-->Balance <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->does not scale with team size

-<!--coloro:#4169E1--><span style="color:#4169E1"><!--/coloro-->Commander mode<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> alerts you to your buildings under attack about 50% of the time

-<!--coloro:#4169E1--><span style="color:#4169E1"><!--/coloro-->Alien Sight<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> is oppressive and garish

-<!--coloro:#4169E1--><span style="color:#4169E1"><!--/coloro-->Lmg Spread<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> seems a bit too tight/very easy to snipe with

-<!--coloro:#4169E1--><span style="color:#4169E1"><!--/coloro-->Alien Team<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> is a bit dull without res for kills (yeah thats right)

-<!--coloro:#4169E1--><span style="color:#4169E1"><!--/coloro-->Flamethrower <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->an 'end game' weapon thats nearly useless against higher life forms (though it does have its uses)

-<!--coloro:#4169E1--><span style="color:#4169E1"><!--/coloro-->Marine Flashlight<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> is it on fire? Why does it look so smoky to others? The Exo lights seem fine.

Other Thoughts

-<!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro-->Exo <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->should limit its aim swing to about 90 degrees vertically (so it can't aim at its own feet or its head)

-<!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro-->Armory Welding<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> should be reduced to about half speed of a normal welder
    and/or welding and healing should have to be done in the buy menu (still free though)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hit reg - It is okay

Balance - To me it seems okay to me but is debatable to other people.

Commader mode - It is doing what it sopose to. If its alerting you 50% of the time, thats because it is 50% of the time. Order someone to protect that building or try and defend it another way. Or ignor it and let you RT/Obs/PG, or whatever, get destroyed.

Alien sighrt - In two words, 'Works Fine' thats because it does its job at an acceptible level and there may be room for improvment but its okay.

LMG spread - Thats how it is supose to be.

Flamethrower - I agree

Flashlight - Works fine and how it should for me
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    LMG Spread:

Hmm, perhaps if the LMG spread is as wide as the <!--coloro:#48D1CC--><span style="color:#48D1CC"><!--/coloro-->NS1 LMG<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> counter-part, maybe a wider spread would aid the Kharaa, in terms of<b> Harvester/upgrade snipage</b> <i>having less of an impact<b> from a distance</b></i> due to having less concentration of bullets the farther you are.

It may also <u>buff</u> the Marines when it comes to shooting Kharaa, considering an <u>increase in bullet spread</u> would <b>not</b> require as much aim.

However, it may also <i><u>buff</u></i> the Kharaa, as the Kharaa will be able to<b> close the distance</b> between them and the Marines with <u>potentially less damage taken</u> due to the <u><i>wider</i></u> bullet spread of the LMG.

Not sure if the trade-offs are worth the change, however.

Or maybe it is worth the change =.=.
  • TripleZeroTripleZero Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167764Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    -<!--coloro:#4169E1--><span style="color:#4169E1"><!--/coloro-->Hit Registration<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> aiming is hard but its ok, got no issues with it really, skulks are simply ridicoulesly quick. (thats from some1 with many thousands of hours of playing shooters, i have never seen a game where it is harder to hit something than those bloody skulks (when the player is good))

-<!--coloro:#4169E1--><span style="color:#4169E1"><!--/coloro-->Balance <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> well its ok i think, it limits the amount of players on the superior team

-<!--coloro:#4169E1--><span style="color:#4169E1"><!--/coloro-->Commander mode<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> I Agree, thats really annoying sometimes, i got alot of alerts from powernodes or phasegates which were almost destroyed.

-<!--coloro:#4169E1--><span style="color:#4169E1"><!--/coloro-->Alien Sight<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> got no problems with the alien sight, also i suppose it could be better

-<!--coloro:#4169E1--><span style="color:#4169E1"><!--/coloro-->Lmg Spread<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> a little higher spread would actually be helpful for marines because it would make hitting easier in the close range skulk dance party.

-<!--coloro:#4169E1--><span style="color:#4169E1"><!--/coloro-->Alien Team<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> no opinion there.

-<!--coloro:#4169E1--><span style="color:#4169E1"><!--/coloro-->Flamethrower <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> I agree, Flamethrower should do more damage, its awesome to clear out infestation though.

-<!--coloro:#4169E1--><span style="color:#4169E1"><!--/coloro-->Marine Flashlight<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> hmm, dunno what youre referring to, flashlights seem fine to me

-<!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro-->Exo <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> limit the aim? its already hard enough to kill skulks running around you (i killed my share of exos a skulk, too)
    The idea with the welder is cool tho, also the welder should be weaker than a normal welder, or maybe even add a third exo thats a pure support vehicle, but it has to be a lot quicker than normal exos then.

-<!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro-->Armory Welding<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> again, no opinion on that one.
    <!--quoteo(post=2013390:date=Nov 7 2012, 12:36 AM:name=Zomb3h)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zomb3h @ Nov 7 2012, 12:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013390"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->LMG Spread:

Hmm, perhaps if the LMG spread is as wide as the <!--coloro:#48D1CC--><span style="color:#48D1CC"><!--/coloro-->NS1 LMG<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> counter-part, maybe a wider spread would aid the Kharaa, in terms of<b> Harvester/upgrade snipage</b> <i>having less of an impact<b> from a distance</b></i> due to having less concentration of bullets the farther you are.

It may also <u>buff</u> the Marines when it comes to shooting Kharaa, considering an <u>increase in bullet spread</u> would <b>not</b> require as much aim.

However, it may also <i><u>buff</u></i> the Kharaa, as the Kharaa will be able to<b> close the distance</b> between them and the Marines with <u>potentially less damage taken</u> due to the <u><i>wider</i></u> bullet spread of the LMG.

Not sure if the trade-offs are worth the change, however.

Or maybe it is worth the change =.=.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes I have to agree with what you're saying. I guess it would take a thread of it's own and a lot of debating to figure out whether it is or whether it isn't worth the change. Personaly, it's not.
  • PureHostilityPureHostility Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167579Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->I didn't have a single problem with it. Though some servers seem to be terribly lagged and you can notice people shoting where they don't aim at all. Beside that, when playing on normal server (98% of the time I join any game), it's almost flawless, I've seen waaaay worse in many big AAA titles.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Neither does any other game. If for an example was created for 14-16 people max, it won't be good to be played on a server with 24+. Remember that little shipment map from CoD4 (Modern Warfare 1), where map was a small container zone, like 25 meters on 25 meters.... there were 64 player servers if I remember correctly. Talk about balance there. There is a sweet spot for most of the things, I do not enjoy also TF2 with 32 players at all... it's a chaos, not fun at all.

tl;dr Disagree with you, no problem for me here. <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Didn't notice much of a delay, though most of the time I just notice if something is being attacked by blinking building (khammander point of view only, I do not enjoy marine comm).<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->I kinda agree here. I would really like to see map in it's beauty rather than some matrix/digital thingy. Minimal Alien vision is like that, but.. it needs to be whitelisted to be used and I have yet to join any server that has it whitelisted >.> <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->
    Because it doesn't have spread. I'm ok with that.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->
    Disagree. I'm now fanatic alien player, when I join I go straight for aliens. I do not enjoy playing marines. Also I don't think there is a need for pres gain on kills. It would make good alien players really stomp marines VERY FAST.
    <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Well, it's a support weapon, same as GL which is kinda OP about it's AoE damage and those poor skulk deaths. It's meant to clear infestation and sap aliens energy, it does pretty well job at this. It's real nightmare of lerks and fades. Also it destroys lerk's spores, dunno about umbra.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->The atmospherics could be kinda toned down, but I don't really mind, I always liked light shafts and dusty lights.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Other Thoughts

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->I do agree here, Exos shouldn't be alone, this would actually make exo rushers (7 exos walking towards your base on 16 player server) a bit easier to deal with, when playing with a rookie team. Exos should be punished for not being protected... Same as Onos going solo in against jetpackers.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

and/or welding and healing should have to be done in the buy menu (still free though)

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->I actually want to see armory repair armor on rate of 10 armor per 3-5 seconds.
    This would encourage welding and using MACs for repair. Also resupplying wouldn't ... annoying for aliens, when dealing with marines at their armories.
    Though I would like to see maybe only advanced armory being able to repair armors and also on way slower rate.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    The GL is'nt really OP at all. If you went 1 on 1 with a skulk you would either die or kill your self killing it. The reason behind it's desing is that the GL is very effective, only when suported by LMG's and shotguns, but hardly as effective on their own. Also, and it seems many new players dont seem to realise this, but the Flamethrower also attacks an aliens energy. So for example, if a fade was blinking (or shadow steping) in and out and you set him on fire, his energy would start to drain. In that case, if he has enough res to blink out, he won't have much for a while so he should stay out of the fight for a time untill the fire is out and his energy is back up. If he doesn't have enough res to blink out (also Shadow Step), it will make him a much easier target and much easier to kill. also the Flamethrower is desinged to be suported by LMG's and SG's. So if anyone things the Flamethrower needs to be a better damage dealer, you're using it rong.
    <!--quoteo(post=2013585:date=Nov 6 2012, 07:36 PM:name=ellnic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ellnic @ Nov 6 2012, 07:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013585"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The GL is'nt really OP at all. If you went 1 on 1 with a skulk you would either die or kill your self killing it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    flawless argument
    edited November 2012
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2013589:date=Nov 7 2012, 03:40 AM:name=Princess_of_Power)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Princess_of_Power @ Nov 7 2012, 03:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013589"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->flawless argument<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If I attempt to 1v1 a marine trying to jump to his death in crevice on Summit as an onos, I either kill him or kill myself killing him...
    Onos is perfectly balanced also.
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    edited November 2012
    I have no problem with hitreg.

The other nitpicks will probably fixed in future patches, especially comm allerts.
    <!--quoteo(post=2013601:date=Nov 7 2012, 03:56 AM:name=PsympleJester)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsympleJester @ Nov 7 2012, 03:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013601"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If I attempt to 1v1 a marine trying to jump to his death in crevice on Summit as an onos, I either kill him or kill myself killing him...
    Onos is perfectly balanced also.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That is compleatly difrent...