Lag Hack?

DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Maybe I'm crazy....</div>So I'm noticing quite a bit of this lately. It seems like I run into a lot of people who have pings under 100 usually around 40-60 but they constantly teleport backwards or forwards. I'll have to take a video the next time I run into somebody doing it. I'm familiar with speed hacks that simulate lag or packet loss to make the player get somewhere a lot faster, so this seems pretty similar.

So is anyone else seeing this too?

Comments

• TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    Pretty sure its a glitch, apparently guy who warped like it had the same problem expect it was for everyone. FPS 120 and steady ping so it may not have been related to either.
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    it could just be packet loss.
    packet loss is not related to ping, his internet conection just might suck, wireless routers can cause this. your ping is very low, and yet you lose alot of packets sent , because your router just drops them. there was also this thing where you could alter sent network packets, making the server believe your position in the game is a different one every time, or messing up the prediction by sending fake client responses. it was the basis for hl1 speedhacks. but spark works the other way around i think. movement is all server based, so if someone would alter packets, you would just rubberband yourself on your side, and move completely fine for everyone else.
  • Visor1Visor1 Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140300Members
    No this is consistant and as far as I've seen the same person is doing it through out the game. If it was just packet loss it would only happen abit and they wouldn't move around the same distance each time.
  • SataniacSataniac Join Date: 2012-09-10 Member: 158862Members
    Maybe it has something to do with the server tickrate? If it's on 10 or below, everyone keeps jumping back and forth.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    Or the guy have juste 4-5 FPS \o/

But yeah, a video would be great.
  • Visor1Visor1 Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2013827:date=Nov 7 2012, 03:47 AM:name=Sataniac)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sataniac @ Nov 7 2012, 03:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013827"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe it has something to do with the server tickrate? If it's on 10 or below, everyone keeps jumping back and forth.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    it's only 1 person that's skipping around
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Yeah, I noticed somebody teleporting around like mad as well. He had a ping of about 120ms. I asked him why he was lagging so much. He blamed it on low fps.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    there are some people who regularly warp around with sub 100 pings while everyone else on the server is fine, and thanks to the netcode they are difficult to hit but they seem to have no problem connecting hits.
  • maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members
    I'm inclined to say its not intentional based on an encounter yesterday, where a guy as obnoxiously teleporting and making it difficult to bite, however he rarely connected a shot as well, he was 0-7 before in the first few minutes and had half our team thinking he was doing it intentionally.

If he was abusing some packet loss he was not very good at it.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    I'd like to see how it looks from the warping players' perspective. I played against a marine that did heavy damage to me as onos, landing every bullet while warping around in a completely unpredictable way. Getting the kill was pure luck even with long the range of the onos, in departure (a small room), assisting an exo. It was bad enough to that I would consider it no different than cheating apart from the intent, if it wasn't something the player could control.

Unfortunately even if players on his side warped equally bad as he did he would still have the advantage as a marine since he doesn't have to get in range, just point at huge, or small, aliens that keep freezing in place.
  • guitarxeguitarxe Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166148Members
    You are simply crazy. What you are seeing is generally referred to as "rubber-banding". It's quite common in any kind of network game. Usually caused either by packet loss, or worse, by de-syncing with the server.
  • maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2014041:date=Nov 7 2012, 02:20 PM:name=guitarxe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (guitarxe @ Nov 7 2012, 02:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014041"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You are simply crazy. What you are seeing is generally referred to as "rubber-banding". It's quite common in any kind of network game. Usually caused either by packet loss, or worse, by de-syncing with the server.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wish I could rubber band like this, when I rubber band I snap back to where I was.... This guy was moving away from me in spurts.... Must be an upgrade snap forward not back....
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    Rubberbanding and warping/teleporting are different issues.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2014041:date=Nov 7 2012, 06:20 AM:name=guitarxe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (guitarxe @ Nov 7 2012, 06:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014041"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You are simply crazy. What you are seeing is generally referred to as "rubber-banding". It's quite common in any kind of network game. Usually caused either by packet loss, or worse, by de-syncing with the server.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're simply ignorant or illiterate. Rubberbanding is going back to where you were not remaining where you went.
  • SaladSalad Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167746Members, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I was playing on a computer with a poor wifi connection and saw everybody else warping around like OP describes so I imagine they all saw me the same way.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've seen this as well, and the guy's kill/death ratio was atrocious.
  • ☼Lap☼☼Lap☼ Join Date: 2009-02-16 Member: 66432Members
    I've had this happen before to me. I would rubber-band with good FPS, 50 ping, plenty of bandwidth.

Found out the problem was that one of my two fans on my gfx card was out. Why that was making me rubber-band and not also have artifacts and low FPS I don't know, but it was most certainly the cause. Jiggling the loose connection so my fan started again fixed the problem. Same server, no other changes, and did not even have to restart NS.

So basically, client side performance issues can cause this, which seems very odd to me.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2013766:date=Nov 7 2012, 07:46 AM:name=Davil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Davil @ Nov 7 2012, 07:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013766"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So I'm noticing quite a bit of this lately. It seems like I run into a lot of people who have pings under 100 usually around 40-60 but they constantly teleport backwards or forwards. I'll have to take a video the next time I run into somebody doing it. I'm familiar with speed hacks that simulate lag or packet loss to make the player get somewhere a lot faster, so this seems pretty similar.

So is anyone else seeing this too?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I had this happening myself and it occurs when you get lag spikes.