Needs more official content.

kalvkalv Join Date: 2004-09-04 Member: 31339Members
I'm not talking about mods I'm talking about actual content created by the developers. There is simply not enough additions from NS1 to NS2. I love the balancing they did with Aliens, but there should be more guns and more life forms. It basically feels exactly like NS1 but laggier.

Comments

• BlindgaBlindga Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162931Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2014877:date=Nov 7 2012, 07:45 PM:name=kalv)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kalv @ Nov 7 2012, 07:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014877"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not talking about mods I'm talking about actual content created by the developers. There is simply not enough additions from NS1 to NS2. I love the balancing they did with Aliens, but there should be more guns and more life forms. It basically feels exactly like NS1 but laggier.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1

There are some decent ideas going on around here. I hope the devs actually try looking at the forums occasionally.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2014877:date=Nov 8 2012, 04:45 AM:name=kalv)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kalv @ Nov 8 2012, 04:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014877"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not talking about mods I'm talking about actual content created by the developers. There is simply not enough additions from NS1 to NS2. I love the balancing they did with Aliens, but there should be more guns and more life forms. It basically feels exactly like NS1 but laggier.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why are they obligated to do this? Not that it should be the way things are, but what has COD added to its game in the numerous rereleased? Has the battlefield progressed in any meaningfully different way? No. Why should an underfunded indie group now have to release layers upon layers of new content, when multi million dollar corporations don't?
  • DisruptionDisruption Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167679Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2015011:date=Nov 7 2012, 11:57 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Nov 7 2012, 11:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015011"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why are they obligated to do this? Not that it should be the way things are, but what has COD added to its game in the numerous rereleased? Has the battlefield progressed in any meaningfully different way? No. Why should an underfunded indie group now have to release layers upon layers of new content, when multi million dollar corporations don't?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1
    <!--quoteo(post=2015011:date=Nov 7 2012, 09:57 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Nov 7 2012, 09:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015011"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why are they obligated to do this? Not that it should be the way things are, but what has COD added to its game in the numerous rereleased? Has the battlefield progressed in any meaningfully different way? No. Why should an underfunded indie group now have to release layers upon layers of new content, when multi million dollar corporations don't?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think the OP was implying that... but sure. You definitely don't want to make a mess of the game. Just add something fun every now and then.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I disagree entirely with the premise of the OP.

Let's look at how this goes wrong: l4d2 vs l4d1. L4d2 had far more lifeforms, guns, and other random crap. It will never be as good as l4d1. Adding more stuff for the sake of having more stuff is not a good plan.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    The game was just released a little over a week ago. Chill.
  • MkilbrideMkilbride Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69952Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2015099:date=Nov 8 2012, 07:45 AM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Nov 8 2012, 07:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015099"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I disagree entirely with the premise of the OP.

Let's look at how this goes wrong: l4d2 vs l4d1. L4d2 had far more lifeforms, guns, and other random crap. It will never be as good as l4d1. Adding more stuff for the sake of having more stuff is not a good plan.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's only because L4D2 had Rochelle. If it had the original cast, it would've been amazing. It does now, but the damage is done.
    Let me try and put this in a different view, because I do see a flaw in the original post in that there is a comparison to NS2 to NS1.

I never played NS1. All I know is that it was a mod. NS2 is a full video game project though, not a mod. It needs to be held to a higher standard that what NS1 had. It needs to do everything it did better, not just the same. If a fully funded project can't outclass their own original mod, then why play this at all?

I can understand the argument that too much add-ons can ruin the game, and I agree with that (the l4d2 example isn't a good model for this though, because there was a lot that went wrong with that game.). But at the same time, I don't think the game is fine on it's own as of right now. There are plenty of people willing to argue that this game is lacking the same fun factor NS1 had, and something needs to be done to fix that. I think new content and community ideas are a good way to start with that.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2015694:date=Nov 8 2012, 01:40 PM:name=Blindga)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blindga @ Nov 8 2012, 01:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015694"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Let me try and put this in a different view, because I do see a flaw in the original post in that there is a comparison to NS2 to NS1.

I never played NS1. All I know is that it was a mod. NS2 is a full video game project though, not a mod. It needs to be held to a higher standard that what NS1 had. It needs to do everything it did better, not just the same. If a fully funded project can't outclass their own original mod, then why play this at all?

I can understand the argument that too much add-ons can ruin the game, and I agree with that (the l4d2 example isn't a good model for this though, because there was a lot that went wrong with that game.). But at the same time, I don't think the game is fine on it's own as of right now. There are plenty of people willing to argue that this game is lacking the same fun factor NS1 had, and something needs to be done to fix that. I think new content and community ideas are a good way to start with that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NS2 is supposed to be NS1 with better graphics, and worked from ground up for alien commanders to facilitate balance. Minor revisions aswell for things they couldn't realise in the old engine.

Bare in mind that NS1 was in post-release development for donkeys years, and had a modding scene for just as long that went to town on it. It will take a time to reach the amount of content the original had.
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    The game just got released, give them some time to balance stuff up and generally "be ahead", then stuff might pop up.
    Right now there is still the map editor that needs to come out of alpha, and alot of other tidying up to take care of.

But if you're impatient then i suggest starting a thread for some weapon/lifeform mods, this game is customizable to hell and back, you know :)
    Be sure to include alot of brainstorming and theorycrafting to get a solid base.
  • AvsAvs Join Date: 2004-05-20 Member: 28798Members
    edited November 2012
    Well, the problem is balance. They had all these new ideas, but those new things were all unbalanced or ignored by players because it sucked. Just look at the pistol alternate fire for example. When I read this topic though, I was thinking they need to add more maps. The four map rotation is not bad...but let's say a player wants to spend 4 hours playing NS, he should see at least 8 different maps if it rotates every game.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    i want my pistol alt fire back :<
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2016074:date=Nov 9 2012, 12:51 AM:name=Avs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Avs @ Nov 9 2012, 12:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2016074"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, the problem is balance. They had all these new ideas, but those new things were all unbalanced or ignored by players because it sucked. Just look at the pistol alternate fire for example. When I read this topic though, I was thinking they need to add more maps. The four map rotation is not bad...but let's say a player wants to spend 4 hours playing NS, he should see at least 8 different maps if it rotates every game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, the problem with mapping is the buggy map-editor, it needs to be fixed before people really want to invest time into it.
    Heck, im surprised we even have as many maps as we do.. God i still remember the enormous relief when Summit 1.0 got released so we didnt have to spam Rockdown anymore.