Infantry Portal Spawn Direction

Wax°Wax° Join Date: 2012-11-10 Member: 169178Members
Not sure if it has been brought up already, didn't find anything after a quick search.

It is really annoying and can be quite disorientating when you are waiting to spawn in and you are looking around then you spawn facing a completely different direction.
I think it would be much better to have the spawn direction unlocked as it is with aliens going through evolution.

Comments

• Taxen0Taxen0 Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73357Members
    You will spawn in the direction the camera face when spectating.
    At least I always do.
  • BlacRyuBlacRyu Join Date: 2005-06-03 Member: 53091Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2019567:date=Nov 11 2012, 08:23 AM:name=Taxen0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Taxen0 @ Nov 11 2012, 08:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019567"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You will spawn in the direction the camera face when spectating.
    At least I always do.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sometimes I do, and sometimes I spawn facing the completely opposite direction. It can be really annoying especially if there is a skulk sitting there attacking the spawn portal and I'm looking straight at it but then I spawn flipped around and the skulk gets 1-2 hits on me before I can even find it again.
  • Dr. RocksoDr. Rockso Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75114Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2018766:date=Nov 10 2012, 09:52 PM:name=Wax°)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wax° @ Nov 10 2012, 09:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2018766"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not sure if it has been brought up already, didn't find anything after a quick search.

It is really annoying and can be quite disorientating when you are waiting to spawn in and you are looking around then you spawn facing a completely different direction.
    I think it would be much better to have the spawn direction unlocked as it is with aliens going through evolution.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<u>YES. Please fix this. Have players spawn pointing IN THE DIRECTION OF THE ACTION</u>. It's annoying to spawn in an egg or IP and start running off towards the dead end bottom of your base, when you assume that it will place you facing in the direction of at least one of the open pathways in whatever room you're in. <b>Even pointing in the direction of the most active commander/team activity would be simple to program, I can imagine</b>.

This should have been implemented without having to ask for it. It's part of design (at least good design) - its intuitive and it works, and it should be there without having to think about it. Having to complain about it exposes the lack of thought put into this particular detail.
  • Wax°Wax° Join Date: 2012-11-10 Member: 169178Members
    edited November 2012
    Since i first posted about this the problem had seemed to go away, but it has come back this time it is completely random :/

A fix for this issue would be really helpful for those of us effected by this.
  • philoglphilogl Join Date: 2012-10-24 Member: 163529Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver
    Can't count the number of times I've lined my crosshair up on a skulk hitting something in base only to start shooting at a wall in the opposite direction when I spawn.
  • SaniKSaniK Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166850Members
    I completely agree with the OP I was going to make my own topic on this but I found his instead. +1 op
  • clankill3rclankill3r Join Date: 2007-09-03 Member: 62145Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    on some servers it seems to work correct.
    I believe the commander is also able to lock the direction, and maybe that option is the problem.
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Calling in CDT members! This really was broken for too long.

@IronHorse‌ @McGlaspie‌ @Decoy‌ @SamusDroid‌
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    I was under the impression that this was fixed for marines @rkfg. I haven't noticed it in ages. And this thread is nearly 2 years old.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2014
    Infantry portals face you in the direction that you look as a spectator, and have for a long time.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2014
    rkfg wrote: »
    Calling in CDT members! This really was broken for too long.

@IronHorse‌ @McGlaspie‌ @Decoy‌ @SamusDroid‌
    To keep the forum smelling nice, basically avoiding unneeded necro-threads, could you please check if the bug is still an issue (which appears to be fixed), before performing the summoning of the dead ritual ;)

sunk thread is now sunk,,,
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Yea this should be fixed.
    ALTHOUGH I do occasionally end up spawning looking directly up... tough bug but it's known.
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    This happens from time to time and it's really hard to catch. For example, it may start happening after setting up a second IP. I can't remember the exact date when it happened the last time but I believe it was on 266. The most annoying case is when a skulk destroying your IP and you target him while spawning and then you get rotated somewhere and completely disorientated.
    I have a confirmation that it's an NS2+ mod issue and not the game itself. Sorry for disturblng you all.

Another issue (which fits the thread name though) is the initial game-start spawn when you look directly down. It wasn't fixed at least on Linux and it's a well known bug.
    Hmm, the author of NS2+ says it can't be the mod issue. I had this bug exactly today, I was rotated about 90° CCW compared to where I looked while spectating my spawn. Should I start another thread to get other players' feedback or can we discuss it here?