Jet Packs Too Good?

Bullet_ForceBullet_Force Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165952Members
I've seen plenty of games lately where a team of jet packing Marines is able to squish Aliens with ease. The basic skulk fares extremely poorly 1v1 with a jetpacker esp one with a shotgun. They only have a chance if they have leap and even then not so much. There is also the issue of jet packers flying to the top of hives of knifing them to death constantly. Unlike sentries whips won't do a damn thing to stop them.

Comments

• SmellyPantsSmellyPants Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166704Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2023010:date=Nov 14 2012, 04:21 AM:name=Bullet_Force)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullet_Force @ Nov 14 2012, 04:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023010"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've seen plenty of games lately where a team of jet packing Marines is able to squish Aliens with ease. The basic skulk fares extremely poorly 1v1 with a jetpacker esp one with a shotgun. They only have a chance if they have leap and even then not so much. There is also the issue of jet packers flying to the top of hives of knifing them to death constantly. Unlike sentries whips won't do a damn thing to stop them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why is it that people feel that the cause which leads to their loss needs to be nerfed?

A jetpack in the hands of a skilled player can be quite devastating. The same thing can be said about a skilled fade / onos. With a limited fuel time, they have to land eventually, and this is where you will want to attack. Also, I've had no problem blink killing marines with jetpacks. Just keep at it, you'll get better.
  • FexzzFexzz Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165916Members
    The Jet Pack is way too cheap in my opinion. You get such an incredible mobility-boost for just 10 Res. Its a joke.
  • Bullet_ForceBullet_Force Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165952Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2023022:date=Nov 14 2012, 10:00 PM:name=SmellyPants)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SmellyPants @ Nov 14 2012, 10:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023022"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why is it that people feel that the cause which leads to their loss needs to be nerfed?

A jetpack in the hands of a skilled player can be quite devastating. The same thing can be said about a skilled fade / onos. With a limited fuel time, they have to land eventually, and this is where you will want to attack. Also, I've had no problem blink killing marines with jetpacks. Just keep at it, you'll get better.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The problem is they refuel amazingly fast. It's almost so fast they might as well remove it all together.
    <!--quoteo(post=2023027:date=Nov 14 2012, 04:32 AM:name=Bullet_Force)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullet_Force @ Nov 14 2012, 04:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023027"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The problem is they refuel amazingly fast. It's almost so fast they might as well remove it all together.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I disagree. If it didn't refuel quickly it would be worthless. What good is 10 seconds of flying around if you have to wait for it to recharge? Sure, 10 is relatively cheap, i'll give you that. While even though I feel 10 res to be inexpensive, they will also have to spend resources on a weapon.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited November 2012
    hitting a jetpacker with your leap is easy.

the hard part is that you need 4+ direct bites to kill a fully upgraded marine, and you don't even have enough energy for that many leaps. but remember that he's spent 30 pres on that gear so you should not expect to solo him that easily with your 'eco' lifeform.

if leap was cheaper then it would be spammable like crazy, so that's not really the answer. i think that jetpack balance is best left in the hands of UWE and will likely change indirectly through functionality tweaks to alien abilities (like some stuff in 229) and the addition of stuff like web.

edit: about the suggestions to increase the jetpack cost to 20 pres... i don't think it would break the game, but it would be a substantial marine nerf. jetpacker still gets owned by lerk (as long as you use ranged spikes vs a shotgun jetpacker), fade and onos... so it's only mostly helpful in combat against skulk. the other thing is that it allows you to climb onto platforms etc that are 'out of reach' of onos - which is probably the main point of jetpack because onos vs grounded marines is a cruelly unfair joke.
  • RegnRegn Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165335Members
    While I have to bite them over 5 times over a 2.5+ seconds duration, they get to shoot me dead in 0.25-1 second, and they get jetpacks for 10 resources? Good lord. I didn't think it was 10 resources, but <i>10 resources</i>??
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2012
    They are too good and/or too cheap indeed. However, the research to get to them is reasonably expensive, so the hope is to get some lerks and fades out before jetpackers come out. Fades used to be pretty nice against jetpackers when you could swipe without delay after blink, and when shadowstep was vertical. Not so much anymore.

In bigger rooms, jetpackers are just RIDICULOUS though. Some of those: mineshaft cave, veil cargo, docking generator (even after the pipes they put in, you can just land on top of them and cool down lol). The more open the room is the more LOL is had by jetpackers.

But yeah, generally if you're a skulk, you're probably not going to have a good time ® against a jetpacker. If you don't have leap, just forget about it and f4.
  • SpiixSpiix Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71110Members
    From my experience, jetpacks seem to be "quasi-invulnerability for a cheap 10 resource cost".

I'd make them cost more tbh
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    Jetpacks are too powerful in some situations, while being too weak in others.
    A jetpacker in server room? Can we get a gorge down there to kill him please?
    A jetpacker in cargo? Quick guys kill sub, cargo is lost.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    not enough lerks to counter these jetpackers
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    JP's are over powered no doubt...heck they turn an average marine into a decent marine for 10 res (cost of a gorge...1/3 the cost of a lerk).

Once jp's are out if the marine team are decent they can simply end the game at will, leap has issues especially when coupled with the whole multiple bites being required and medpacks/nano's.
    Even if you have lerks decent marines make mince meat out of a lerk even with a LMG.

As a marine once JP's hit the floor I know I can start going 2 for 1 (well atleast 1.5 to 1) without really trying, which when coupled with spawn issues between for aliens (played a lot of crag first games....egg lock hell games) means I can force the aliens to spread thinner or risk losing upgrades, harvesters, cysts etc and hurting their economy and slowing down their tech.

Simple solution...if it costs aliens 30 res to fly...should cost same for marines. 10 res is too little for the increased survivability this gives the marine (reducing need to further dip into res pool as he is not needing to re-buy).
    <!--quoteo(post=2023040:date=Nov 14 2012, 04:45 AM:name=Regn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Regn @ Nov 14 2012, 04:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023040"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While I have to bite them over 5 times over a 2.5+ seconds duration, they get to shoot me dead in 0.25-1 second, and they get jetpacks for 10 resources? Good lord. I didn't think it was 10 resources, but <i>10 resources</i>??<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Have you played this game? Sure, it's 10 resources, but the cost of getting jetpacks is relatively high. Fades: Don't forget you have double jump. Only in certain areas will the jetpackers be out of reach.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    I think they're just too cheap.
  • KeldornKeldorn Join Date: 2012-05-05 Member: 151587Members
    They should at LEAST be 15 res.
  • Bullet_ForceBullet_Force Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165952Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2023070:date=Nov 14 2012, 11:00 PM:name=SmellyPants)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SmellyPants @ Nov 14 2012, 11:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023070"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Have you played this game? Sure, it's 10 resources, but the cost of getting jetpacks is relatively high. Fades: Don't forget you have double jump. Only in certain areas will the jetpackers be out of reach.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    How is 10 resources 'high' when a shotgun costs 20? They are so cheap that they are spammable and thats what is happening. Whole teams of Marines with jetpacks. That's like having a whole team of Fades.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Are you forgetting the requirements to unlock Jetpacks?

They are not cheap, they are a boost at the right phase of the game to enable a push back.

Perfect counter for Fades, but get a lerk with spores and a Jetpacker will die nice and slow... muhahaha!

Bombard whips perhaps?
  • RowenRowen Join Date: 2012-05-04 Member: 151545Members
    Jetpack gameplay wise are in a very good spot compared to how amazingly frustrating they were in beta to alien players (they were faster and started recovering fuel the moment you stopped hitiing spacebar. You could cross the entire map and not drop below 50% fuel, and combined with the poorer performance, they were virtually invulnerable). Now you can deal with them and the fuel recovery rate is IMO very close to perfect. This doesn't mean they are not undercosted though; it should be at least 15 and 20 sounds much better.
  • The Vault KeyThe Vault Key Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169550Members
    As a jetpacker you have to land to regain the fuel and that's the time when you should try to strike as an aliens.
    Fades are perfect for taking jetpackers down imho, you can chase them easily + Lerk with spores is just amazing :)
    edited November 2012
    Jetpacks without shotguns maybe, but not with shotguns. You DO NOT want to get close to an experienced shotgun jetpacker as a lerk or a fade.

I'd prefer the unlock technology way over the current "buy when you have the pres" way with aliens to get lifeforms. The khammander unlocks higher lifeforms and aliens can re-get lifeforms far more often. Its much more forgiving and will in fact save alot of res over the course of the game.

Like 15 - 20 pres to get a lerk, 30 - 35 pres to get a fade and around 50 pres to get an onos.

Sounds great right? After all, you unlock it through hives and upgrades, just like marines.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    The game is the most balanced its ever been, a good team communicating will win everytime of one thats full of people doing their own thing.

Yes as an alien some hives are a ###### to defend against jetpacks... Cargo / Generator but seriously, team work and coordiantion (mics help too) will always win over one bit of tech or one type of alien.
    <!--quoteo(post=2023113:date=Nov 14 2012, 02:05 PM:name=MuckyMcFly)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MuckyMcFly @ Nov 14 2012, 02:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023113"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The game is the most balanced its ever been, a good team communicating will win everytime of one thats full of people doing their own thing.

Yes as an alien some hives are a ###### to defend against jetpacks... Cargo / Generator but seriously, team work and coordiantion (mics help too) will always win over one bit of tech or one type of alien.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

True, but what happens when both are communicating on the same level?
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2023115:date=Nov 14 2012, 01:09 PM:name=Keldorn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Keldorn @ Nov 14 2012, 01:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023115"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->True, but what happens when both are communicating on the same level?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

then you make sure you don't get to the stage where all of your lerk/fades are dead and you allow them to tech jetpacks.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2023118:date=Nov 14 2012, 02:14 PM:name=tarquinbb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tarquinbb @ Nov 14 2012, 02:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023118"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->then you make sure you don't get to the stage where all of your lerk/fades are dead and you allow them to tech jetpacks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We're assuming an equal skill level here so if its a "prevent race X to get technology Y" strategy, then its a coverup for imbalance.
    edited November 2012
    I find the exo the most balanced thing that marines currently have since it has in fact disadvantages compared to normal marines/jetpacks and you can't recuperate the lost pres when it goes down, unlike dropped weapons. In case of jetpacks, they are so dirt cheap it doesn't matter if you lose them.
    Ive seen games won by a gorge rush bile bomb fest coordinated perfectly.

Agressive start play is more annoying than any tech or alien type. Skulk rush for the win. :P
  • FexzzFexzz Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165916Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2023125:date=Nov 14 2012, 06:24 AM:name=MuckyMcFly)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MuckyMcFly @ Nov 14 2012, 06:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023125"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Agressive start play is more annoying than any tech or alien type. Skulk rush for the win. :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah because winning the game in < 3 minutes is so fun :/
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    edited November 2012
    JP Fuel is ###### compared to NS1, JPs need to expend a ridiculous amount of fuel to get vertical height, and they don't regain fuel very quickly at all if you let your tank run to 0. The trick is to use mostly horizontal movement like among the boxes in cargo of course. But in most rooms its actually pretty tricky to keep up in the air for long periods of time.

The problem IMO is not jetpacks that are imba its actually shotguns. A good marine with JP shotgun doesn't fear anything except an onos in a tight corridor. Its too much power for 30res and beyond that by the time jetpacks are out its almost impossible for your team to not get back to a dropped weapon essentially allowing some people to just buy a jetpack, wait for one of your teammates to drop their gun and then you become a death machine for just 10Pres.

I have been calling for a shotgun nerf for some time now and I think its still due. A JP LMG is not that scary.

A possible fix would be that JPers can't pick up dropped guns maybe? Would still have a problem with people picking up dropped guns and then getting a JP.
    <!--quoteo(post=2023130:date=Nov 14 2012, 01:29 PM:name=Fexzz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fexzz @ Nov 14 2012, 01:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023130"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah because winning the game in < 3 minutes is so fun :/<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not in a million years is it fun, I actually like the 20 min final base battles best, but Im a bit of a sicko ;-)
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2023133:date=Nov 14 2012, 02:31 PM:name=statikg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (statikg @ Nov 14 2012, 02:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023133"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->JP Fuel is ###### compared to NS1, JPs need to expend a ridiculous amount of fuel to get vertical height, and they don't regain fuel very quickly at all if you let your tank run to 0. The trick is to use mostly horizontal movement like among the boxes in cargo of course. But in most rooms its actually pretty tricky to keep up in the air for long periods of time.

The problem IMO is not jetpacks that are imba its actually shotguns. A good marine with JP shotgun doesn't fear anything except an onos in a tight corridor. Its too much power for 30res and beyond that by the time jetpacks are out its almost impossible for your team to not get back to a dropped weapon essentially allowing some people to just buy a jetpack, wait for one of your teammates to drop their gun and then you become a death machine for just 10Pres.

I have been calling for a shotgun nerf for some time now and I think its still due. A JP LMG is not that scary.

A possible fix would be that JPers can't pick up dropped guns maybe? Would still have a problem with people picking up dropped guns and then getting a JP.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed, but not being able to pick up a weapon is counter-intuitive.

The problem with jetpacks is that they ADD to something without any drawbacks for a cheap price. Then you have those situations where a shotgun marine and a jetpack combo becomes very very powerful. The weapon itself in combination with the jetpack and flying should behave differently compared to standing on solid ground, like a slight knockback with every shot from a shotgun killing accuracy of successive shots fired or a more limited ammo supply for certain weapons. LMGs would stay pretty much the same.