Cocurrent player amount is being decreased

MisterYoonMisterYoon Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155747Members
edited November 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">a little bit</div>Firstly, congratulations that you've made until now kind of big success! Still on the front page of most sold titles, and having still wealth amount of cocurrent players.

However, the cocurrent player count is actually already decreased a lot. From 6~7k, now 2~4k. We can say that it's expected, that 7k cocurrent players were just short tremendous boom right after release. However, in my opinion, cocurrent player amount should have been increased, not decreased, as it's still being sold a lot(seems like to). And i personally do think that NS2 doesn't deserve to lose any of players. It provides great multiplay experiences and unique. Lots of people who could experience optimal gameplay of ns2 are fallen in love(?) with this game and became fanboy. It's obvious.

Nevertheless, players are continuously leaving, or playing shorter. Maybe it would be too early to worry about losing player already, but the first-blick cannot be denied.

Yeah, reasons are simple. At least, the biggest 'kausal' ist of course optimization and balance(gameplay wise).

So firstly, i wanna ask how's optimization going. I wonder if i could know if the new optimization system(?) still brings 3~50% of performance increases. I read some comments that balance tweaks are still not solved for build 229, but i do think optimization is still the most important. Cos of performance, people are mostly leaving.

And furthurmore, it's definately too early to think about this, but can we expect anytime soon some big patch like Gorilla patch or Phase Gate patch, which will bring lots of players back? I really hope so. It seems like feature completed, but still lacks something and still possibilities to have something new.

Comments

• CanucckCanucck Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72987Members
    edited November 2012
    2nd weekend counts were higher than the 1st. It goes down during the week because that's what happens during the week.

It'll probably be like $10-15 in the xmas sale anyway and sell a few copies
  • MisterYoonMisterYoon Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155747Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2023485:date=Nov 14 2012, 11:33 AM:name=Canucck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Canucck @ Nov 14 2012, 11:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023485"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->2nd weekend counts were higher than the 1st. It goes down during the week because that's what happens during the week.

It'll probably be like $10-15 in the xmas sale anyway and sell a few copies<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But as comparison, rate of cocurrent player playing ns2 was as high as Total War Shogun2. Just below Garry's Mod. But now it's just a bit higher than Killings Floor. Maybe there could be possibilities of players at specific region, but anyway, it's true that it's kinda decreased. And if it was increased in 2nd weekend, it's a bit more bitter as that means more people left or play fewer.
  • includeinclude aka RpTheHotrod Dallas, TX Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12027Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    That just happens during the week. However, I do believe they would hold much more playerbase if they stuck with the NS1 style (gorges having commander role but with a team vote of what upgrades first, more marine freedom with no need to be taking hive locations unless desired, etc...). At the moment, the game has been restricted so much that we're generally seeing the "same" gameplay every single game. In NS1, there were all sorts of possibilities and twists where games could be different. NS2 is just a race of who gets to onus/exos/jp first and that's about it. Whoever gets there first, wins. I was watching the tournaments and literally every game was the same it seemed. There's an onos. Armory wall hold until something gives. GG. Next team's turn. SAME thing. Just no creativity, at all.

In NS1, gorges could actually "claim" territory with what they could build and it would change the shift of the map entirely. The marines could do the same and if they so desired, relocate to a hive to try and hold it. So far what I've seen in NS is that the only "bases" there are are pre-determined locations. Everything else is just sort of resource towers. So bland. Sometimes you'll see an alien commander drop buildings somewhere nowhere near a hive location and then the game gets exciting as the rules of the map has shifted as what was not important suddenly is. The problem is that the current game design strongly discourages that with the requirement of BOTH teams having to secure specific locations instead of determining what locations are important FOR THAT MATCH.
  • FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    I find it a bit distressing how I haven't witnessed a single game of aliens taking the cake with every life form barring the Onos. It takes so much away from the "big daddy" life form when it appears EVERY single time (not to mention the lack of viable strategies like everyone's mentioned).

Imagine Left 4 Dead, where every game you play, you know the Tank appears either 6 minutes in or eventually. <b>Always</b>.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2023513:date=Nov 14 2012, 11:54 AM:name=include)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (include @ Nov 14 2012, 11:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023513"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That just happens during the week. However, I do believe they would hold much more playerbase if they stuck with the NS1 style (gorges having commander role but with a team vote of what upgrades first, more marine freedom with no need to be taking hive locations unless desired, etc...). At the moment, the game has been restricted so much that we're generally seeing the "same" gameplay every single game. In NS1, there were all sorts of possibilities and twists where games could be different. NS2 is just a race of who gets to onus/exos/jp first and that's about it. Whoever gets there first, wins. I was watching the tournaments and literally every game was the same it seemed. There's an onos. Armory wall hold until something gives. GG. Next team's turn. SAME thing. Just no creativity, at all.

In NS1, gorges could actually "claim" territory with what they could build and it would change the shift of the map entirely. The marines could do the same and if they so desired, relocate to a hive to try and hold it. So far what I've seen in NS is that the only "bases" there are are pre-determined locations. Everything else is just sort of resource towers. So bland. Sometimes you'll see an alien commander drop buildings somewhere nowhere near a hive location and then the game gets exciting as the rules of the map has shifted as what was not important suddenly is. The problem is that the current game design strongly discourages that with the requirement of BOTH teams having to secure specific locations instead of determining what locations are important FOR THAT MATCH.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I also do not think that current kharra strategic system works well, but i don't think either that ns1 gorge system was good. For us, so for fans and old players, it was fantastic. It provided natural teamplay of aliens, however, i am pretty sure that it wouldn't fit to ns2. Unless aliens can get randomly maybe 1 or 2 free gorge egg at the very beginning of the game, no new players will gonna use their precious 25 resources to evolve as gorge and drop a resource tower. Don't you think that lots of new players left ns1 because of gorge system? I actually think so. New players won't think about how much being gorge will be fun and help the team, but think that it must be better not to be a gorge and wait till 30 or 50 pres and be a lerk or a fade. I am certain on that fact.

It's also true that lots of ns1 pub matches was ruined because no one volunteered to be a gorge and drop either chambers or RT. Just rush as a skulk and eventually lost the game. Of course, that hasn't happened even on normal pub matches in these few years, on BAD Clan server or WONGA server, as all of the players are old fan of ns, but thinking about having Gorge System again for ns2 against 10k players... oh that will be terrible.
  • KopikatKopikat Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158170Members
    Halo 4 and Black Ops 2 just came out. What did you expect to happen?
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2023517:date=Nov 14 2012, 01:58 PM:name=Fappuchino)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fappuchino @ Nov 14 2012, 01:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023517"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Imagine Left 4 Dead, where every game you play, you know the Tank appears either 6 minutes in or eventually. <b>Always</b>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Umm...it usually did actually...especially on versus mode..
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2023478:date=Nov 14 2012, 02:32 PM:name=MisterYoon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MisterYoon @ Nov 14 2012, 02:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023478"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Firstly, congratulations that you've made until now kind of big success! Still on the front page of most sold titles, and having still wealth amount of cocurrent players.

However, the cocurrent player count is actually already decreased a lot. From 6~7k, now 2~4k. We can say that it's expected, that 7k cocurrent players were just short tremendous boom right after release. However, in my opinion, cocurrent player amount should have been increased, not decreased, as it's still being sold a lot(seems like to). And i personally do think that NS2 doesn't deserve to lose any of players. It provides great multiplay experiences and unique. Lots of people who could experience optimal gameplay of ns2 are fallen in love(?) with this game and became fanboy. It's obvious.

Nevertheless, players are continuously leaving, or playing shorter. Maybe it would be too early to worry about losing player already, but the first-blick cannot be denied.

Yeah, reasons are simple. At least, the biggest 'kausal' ist of course optimization and balance(gameplay wise).

So firstly, i wanna ask how's optimization going. I wonder if i could know if the new optimization system(?) still brings 3~50% of performance increases. I read some comments that balance tweaks are still not solved for build 229, but i do think optimization is still the most important. Cos of performance, people are mostly leaving.

And furthurmore, it's definately too early to think about this, but can we expect anytime soon some big patch like Gorilla patch or Phase Gate patch, which will bring lots of players back? I really hope so. It seems like feature completed, but still lacks something and still possibilities to have something new.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The launch day concurrency pattern matched the pattern for the CS:GO launch almost exactly.

Launch days tend to be heavy in traffic. If the game remains popular concurrency will drift up over time and we'll eventually overcome the launch numbers.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    <u><b>MisterYoon:</b></u>

I was doing a beta for another game, but it was only for a few days

New patch isn't even out yet so there's nothing new to even test or make comments on
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2023549:date=Nov 14 2012, 08:15 PM:name=Kopikat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kopikat @ Nov 14 2012, 08:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023549"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Halo 4 and Black Ops 2 just came out. What did you expect to happen?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What this guy said, BLOPS2 especially is going to be a killer for other FPS games for the next few weeks until people get bored of it. I'm sure a lot of people thought about NS2 "this game is fun but could use some patches, let's play a mindless shooter for 2-3 weeks and see how much better it is when I come back'.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    I know we all love NS, and want it to do amazingly well and have a massive community, but lets be realistic.

Count the number of true indie games in the top 50 list on steam, let alone the top 10 or 20. Its just the way the games industry is. People like to distract themselves with something new and innovative every now and then, but it rarely brings in the massive numbers that triple A games do.
  • JuomariJuomari Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167141Members
    edited November 2012
    if they don't fix early 4-6min onos and FAST with hotfix, they are gonna lose a lot more players.

when ever i whine about onos tactic being used in a game, everyone agrees with me, even aliens, i can't belive they haven't made hotfix for this PROBLEM, i think EVERYONE who thinks this doesn't require HOTFIX is underestimating the problem.... there is NO WAY public marine team can counter this if teams are equal, it simply ruins the game, the game might go on for 20-40minutes if marines are turtling and are skilled players, but it's still lost game within that 4minutes if not countered.

many of my friends have already quit solely because of this, it simply kills fun for everyone, exept for mayby some aliens who "thinks" it's funny, well it's not, and it's stops being funny for aliens too when you see you win 100% of the games with this tactic unless you have totally handless team of aliens.

just the other day i cried about it in a game where aliens used it, everyone agreed with me, even aliens who were using it, they just said "oh well, what you gonna do about it ? mayby you should whine to the devs".
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    When AC3 comes out on Monday I think I'll be taking a break while I kill some red coats.
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    IMO there is massive pent-up player numbers waiting for acceptable framerates, myself included.
    <!--quoteo(post=2023628:date=Nov 14 2012, 01:23 PM:name=puzl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (puzl @ Nov 14 2012, 01:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023628"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->IMO there is massive pent-up player numbers waiting for acceptable framerates, myself included.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

True. It must never take so long. If old 8800GT can eventually run ns2 with low-mid setting with 40~60 fps, then i would say, it's optimal.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2023549:date=Nov 14 2012, 01:15 PM:name=Kopikat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kopikat @ Nov 14 2012, 01:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023549"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Halo 4 and Black Ops 2 just came out. What did you expect to happen?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Good riddance. BTW both those franchises need to die.

Personally, I'd rather play with 100 people who are really into the game and understand it in some depth, than 10000 people who don't know what they're doing.

I'm also not really worried about NS2. It's a pretty niche game, which requires teamwork/maturity most of the time, so it's never going to be that big probably. I'm sure it will have a core following to keep it alive for years.
  • JKooLJKooL Join Date: 2002-12-24 Member: 11492Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2023633:date=Nov 14 2012, 03:30 PM:name=MisterYoon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MisterYoon @ Nov 14 2012, 03:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023633"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->True. It must never take so long. If old 8800GT can eventually run ns2 with low-mid setting with 40~60 fps, then i would say, it's optimal.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You want to run NS2 on a 5 year old graphics card?

The game runs pretty good now, I'm sure they will continue to work on optimization but there is a lot going on in this engine for your 8800GT to handle. Time to upgrade.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2023651:date=Nov 14 2012, 11:50 PM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Nov 14 2012, 11:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023651"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Good riddance. BTW both those franchises need to die.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Halo is the game that brought gaming to main stream media. You have it to thank for advanced gaming technology.
  • MuchHigherMuchHigher Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171066Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2023616:date=Nov 14 2012, 04:11 PM:name=Juomari)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juomari @ Nov 14 2012, 04:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023616"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->if they don't fix early 4-6min onos and FAST with hotfix, they are gonna lose a lot more players.

when ever i whine about onos tactic being used in a game, everyone agrees with me, even aliens, i can't belive they haven't made hotfix for this PROBLEM, i think EVERYONE who thinks this doesn't require HOTFIX is underestimating the problem.... there is NO WAY public marine team can counter this if teams are equal, it simply ruins the game, the game might go on for 20-40minutes if marines are turtling and are skilled players, but it's still lost game within that 4minutes if not countered.

many of my friends have already quit solely because of this, it simply kills fun for everyone, exept for mayby some aliens who "thinks" it's funny, well it's not, and it's stops being funny for aliens too when you see you win 100% of the games with this tactic unless you have totally handless team of aliens.

just the other day i cried about it in a game where aliens used it, everyone agreed with me, even aliens who were using it, they just said "oh well, what you gonna do about it ? mayby you should whine to the devs".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree that 6min Onos does ruin the gameplay value. I help run a group of rookie friendly servers, so I tend to have to command on these servers. So to make gameplay more fun for other players, I won't rush 6min Onos and sometimes will just sit on resources and not take over to game just to make the game last longer for other players to enjoy. As veterans in the community we need to make the gameplay more fun for other players as well as new players. There is no reason for Aliens to 6min Onos everytime.

We have to do our part to let other players know about this game as well, they do not have the advertisement marketing these huge production companies have. As per how to accomplish this? I'm not too sure.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    it's a good game - it's not just gonna die in the water.

the biggest frustration for me is the calibre of pub players... there's only so much failure you can take before you have to abort to rescue your sanity.

for example you're a commander asking nicely for 10 mins for one of your teammates to build a nearby extractor, but every single one of them insists on facerolling directly towards the enemy hive and it takes 5 of them to kill a single skulk.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2023661:date=Nov 14 2012, 10:01 PM:name=JKooL)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JKooL @ Nov 14 2012, 10:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023661"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You want to run NS2 on a 5 year old graphics card?

The game runs pretty good now, I'm sure they will continue to work on optimization but there is a lot going on in this engine for your 8800GT to handle. Time to upgrade.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

For every person who can't run the game because of old hardware, there's another with a <1 year old machine who refuses anything less than 60fps constant on maximum settings.
    <!--quoteo(post=2023661:date=Nov 14 2012, 02:01 PM:name=JKooL)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JKooL @ Nov 14 2012, 02:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023661"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You want to run NS2 on a 5 year old graphics card?

The game runs pretty good now, I'm sure they will continue to work on optimization but there is a lot going on in this engine for your 8800GT to handle. Time to upgrade.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't have 8800GT -_- At home i have far better one. And i could always play with decent performance during the vacation. I just mentioned because 8800GT is 'almost' minimum recommended spec of ns2. Actually it's 8600. And there are still lots of people who are having 8000 or 9000 series. I am pretty sure still more than people having more gtx600 or 580 series. I just meant that it would be really bitter if they are denied. They have minimum spec, and still having trouble to play. And i said, 'optimal optimization'
  • DogfaceDogface Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167225Members
    edited November 2012
    FWIW, I actually do play on an 8800GT (and dual 2.8Ghz and 4GB on a cheap old mobo) -- so pretty crappy by most standards -- and I get 'playable' performance (which for me means about 25-30 FPS) on mostly lowest-settings at 768p. It still looks fantastic!

If I had any money, I'd upgrade, but it's nice that I still get to play in the meantime. :P
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2023662:date=Nov 14 2012, 05:01 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Nov 14 2012, 05:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023662"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Halo is the game that brought gaming to main stream media.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

OK, but I care about consoles.

<!--quoteo(post=2023662:date=Nov 14 2012, 05:01 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Nov 14 2012, 05:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023662"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You have it to thank for advanced gaming technology.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

PC gaming was better before Halo. I have Halo to thank for contributing to the onslaught of watered down, consolized ######e on the PC.