Ah FRAK! Combat mode has appeared already

guitarxeguitarxe Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166148Members
You guys remember Combat from NS1? That which killed NS? Well guess what, I already see servers today running it in NS2. Way to go and start the doom count on a game that's just barely released!

Comments

• BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2014786:date=Nov 8 2012, 02:31 AM:name=guitarxe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (guitarxe @ Nov 8 2012, 02:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014786"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You guys remember Combat from NS1? That which killed NS? Well guess what, I already see servers today running it in NS2. Way to go and start the doom count on a game that's just barely released!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Combat mode has been around for a long time now and no it doesn't harm ns2. Game play modes can coexist.

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=119151" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=119151</a>
    combat mode
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Great to see the modding taking off already. I even jumped in for a round already on combat. It wasn't perfect, but had some good mindless fun for a round.
  • Katana314Katana314 Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166379Members
    My main issue is that my strategy as aliens has nothing to do with killing marines, as they tend to be good at sitting in one place waiting for cannon fodder, and respawn quickly. I'll be avoiding these, just like I did in the HL1 mod days.
  • GuspazGuspaz Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2862Members, Constellation
    edited November 2012
    Don't like it? Don't play it. Nobody is forcing you to play Combat. It existing or not has no impact on you in any way whatsoever.

I don't understand why people complain endlessly about it. If you don't want to play it, why do you care that it exists?
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    More games modes > More variety > more people playing more often. Not sure how that is bad thing, but alrighty.
    If people are exclusively playing Combat, then they wouldn't be playing vanilla anyhow. Net loss of players, zero.

I've been playing a lot of Combat, a lot of fun. Everyone should check it out between their instant hive drops, armory humping and power node related shenanigans.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    I always quite enjoyed combat. Sometimes you want to login for 5-10 minutes and have a quick death match before you log off.
  • MkilbrideMkilbride Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69952Members
    Well...

NS2 is dead.
  • Katana314Katana314 Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166379Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2014799:date=Nov 7 2012, 08:41 PM:name=Guspaz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Guspaz @ Nov 7 2012, 08:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014799"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Don't like it? Don't play it. Nobody is forcing you to play Combat. It existing or not has no impact on you in any way whatsoever.

I don't understand why people complain endlessly about it. If you don't want to play it, why do you care that it exists?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Oh, of course. No one's denying that.

But if you look at a game of Counter-Strike: Source nowadays, it's getting rarer and rarer to find a vanilla server. That may be just people's attempts to keep the game somewhat fresh, but to the occasional player like myself more interested in its own classic gameplay, it gets annoying not to find what you want.

In NS1, I remember at some point combat servers were much more common than "campaign" servers.
  • DaemonlaudDaemonlaud Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11637Members
    I am not saying that today is the same as 2004. I am sure people will play NS for the right reasons today.

But Combat killed NS1, and you weren't there if you think otherwise. It may have been dying already, but Combat was quick-knife to the heart, and is the reason, and the only reason I stopped playing - I couldn't get an actual game anymore.
  • Restless FragerRestless Frager Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 167960Members
    Meh. I don't see why I would want to play a remake of AvP with dumbed down fighting mechanics. This game is great because of it's RTS mechanics, you guys can play that, I have AvP for when I feel like going deathmatch.
  • MetroMetro Join Date: 2007-09-15 Member: 62316Members
    edited November 2012
    I don't know what you guys are talking about, because I've been able to find and play classic games in NS even well into 2012 - And if I ever feel like combat, I can join those servers, too.
    Combat did not "kill" anything.

Of course, I play NS2 now in classic and I plan on doing that for years to come. And I really hope Combat takes off as much as it did in the first game - and that it can hold the same quality, because it made sure even more people played that wonderful game. Also it's quite the fun changeup from the classic format.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    edited November 2012
    I remember the mode I used to practice my skills with other competitive players as we worked to improve for actual match play, and how thousands of new players came to NS for a more casual experience that couldn't be provided before. And when I got really pissed off at retards dropping SC chamber first, because losing is fun! yay!... I could ragequit the game and rather than having to go play Counter Strike or Day of Defeat I could just boot up a combat server and smash face with hilariously strong full upgrade fades for an hour.

Yeah, I remember combat mode! I don't remember NS being killed by anything like that though.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2014840:date=Nov 7 2012, 09:13 PM:name=Daemonlaud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daemonlaud @ Nov 7 2012, 09:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014840"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am not saying that today is the same as 2004. I am sure people will play NS for the right reasons today.

But Combat killed NS1, and you weren't there if you think otherwise. It may have been dying already, but Combat was quick-knife to the heart, and is the reason, and the only reason I stopped playing - I couldn't get an actual game anymore.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I hate to say it, but if NS1 was good enough on its own to warrant dozens of live servers today, it would have them. If NS1 was good enough to keep people playing classic instead of Combat, then people would have played that much more classic!

Don't cry when your game mode of choice is not the most popular all the time.

edit:
    @IeptBarakat
    I prefer Skeetshoot all the way!
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
  • MinstrelJCFMinstrelJCF Join Date: 2009-05-10 Member: 67379Members
    I'm working on an xmenu plugin so I can 2000hp walker fade.
  • PueidistPueidist Join Date: 2007-04-18 Member: 60665Members
    people who claim combat killed NS obviously never played 2 hour long rounds on co_angst
  • DaemonlaudDaemonlaud Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11637Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2014978:date=Nov 8 2012, 12:20 AM:name=Pueidist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pueidist @ Nov 8 2012, 12:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014978"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->people who claim combat killed NS obviously never played 2 hour long rounds on co_angst<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    True, I didn't, because I had already quit since the game I liked (NS) had stopped being played on every server in my list in favour of gun-game with aliens.

More power to the modders of the world in every game, and especially this one. But the name Combat holds too much ill-will in my heart to ever be something I'll be objective about. Combat <i>killed one of my favourite games of all time</i>. I don't care if his grandson ends world hunger and builds homeless puppy shelters all day, I still wouldn't spit on his name if it was on fire.
  • Bloodshot12Bloodshot12 Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152578Members
    It had nothing to do with Combat being a "better" gamemode then classic. "Combat" being an official gamemode basically attracted a ton of people who couldn't give 2 sh!ts about what the mod was intended for in the first place. Even now, you go back and play NS, and the ratio of combat to NS servers is like 6/1, and half the time the NS servers just have bots in them.

I have no problem with the Combat mod for NS2, but the problem with CO in NS1 was that it was basically something that was made to compliment the original game and add something more traditional, but instead it ended up becoming the reason people downloaded it - and that's bad when some of the people playing don't even know how to play NS, the game mode that made Natural Selection unique and what NS was designed for.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    Combat mode is fine.

It would probably be a mistake making it an official part of the game, like it was in ns1
  • kalvkalv Join Date: 2004-09-04 Member: 31339Members
    How did Combat mode kill NS1? I remembered tons of players playing CO in NS1.
  • AnsomAnsom Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166364Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2015067:date=Nov 7 2012, 10:14 PM:name=kalv)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kalv @ Nov 7 2012, 10:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015067"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How did Combat mode kill NS1? I remembered tons of players playing CO in NS1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

CO was a fast-paced deathmatchy version of the game, if I remember correctly. A lot of beginners came in and exclusively played it either intentionally or without knowing it was a secondary mode. Because it's not as deep as the original mode, it got old fast and everyone left. By that time, the veterans were probably so pissed off that they had left too. At-least, that's what I hear happened.
    On the contrary. Those that exclusively played it were never going to play classic anyhow, and a decent percent of those players DID discover classic.

As I remember it, the introduction of combat instigated a resurgence in NS1 classic that gave the game an extended lifespan. But a lot of people were elitist snobs about it....
  • minos_minos_ Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165722Members
    Just going to throw this out there- I got into NS1 rather a while after it was released. I joined a few games and left or was kicked with ears bleeding from my teammates hurling abuse at me about being bad and getting upset that I didn't know where I was going. Before uninstalling, I decided to try combat, and it turned out to be a lot of fun, easy to learn, and best of all I didn't have people yelling at me.

I guess what I am saying is that if you want NS2 classic to thrive, you should take the time to nurture new players.
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    edited November 2012
    in my own experince and my friends Combat didnt kill NS1, world class A holes did
    Do you even realize how silly it is to complain about a game having multiple modes and people being drawn to one rather than the other? I personally in NS1 and in NS2 played/playing vanilla, siege and combat and still realized that I have to play them differently in order to win as in not playing combat style in vanilla.

anyway I will leave it at that as this have been talked about to death and I wont go into detail writing a wall of text again, if you don't like it don't play it and stop complaining because that wont make players join the game type that YOU like.
  • SoulfighterSoulfighter Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167432Members
    anyone's been working on siege maps ? i'd love to play them in ns2 and i'd love to see all these whiners complain again
  • JKooLJKooL Join Date: 2002-12-24 Member: 11492Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2015067:date=Nov 8 2012, 12:14 AM:name=kalv)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kalv @ Nov 8 2012, 12:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015067"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How did Combat mode kill NS1? I remembered tons of players playing CO in NS1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It fractured the community, and brought in a deluge of players that learned bad habits in CO that didn't translate well to NS Classic.

I think there's a valid argument to make saying that combat brought new players into the classic mode, but I still subscribe to the belief that combat killed NS. I wonder if most people who think otherwise were even there for it?
    I was there for it. Before it, and after it. NS was dying before Combat came along. Combat saved it, extended the life past the point it would have died. Yeah, it eventually died anyhow, but it would have died sooner without Combat.
  • mokkatmokkat Join Date: 2009-08-30 Member: 68652Members
    oh well, at least its a mod, not an official game mode.

Next, I hope to see a "The Hidden" type mod, with a bunch of marines against a perma-phased high hp+energy Fade that has to blink into existence to attack. Easy to kill powernodes, no red emergency lighting, just darkness
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2015067:date=Nov 8 2012, 12:14 AM:name=kalv)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kalv @ Nov 8 2012, 12:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015067"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How did Combat mode kill NS1? I remembered tons of players playing CO in NS1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah I'm pretty sure I would have never played NS1 without Combat. I got into the game there, and then played standard NS.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2014786:date=Nov 7 2012, 08:31 PM:name=guitarxe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (guitarxe @ Nov 7 2012, 08:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014786"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You guys remember Combat from NS1? That which killed NS?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lol

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wonder if most people who think otherwise were even there for it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Check my Member Number on the left. I was here for it. If CO became the more popular gamemode it was because it most players found it more fun than Classic. Combat extended NS1's life far past where Classic would have been able to take it on it's own.

Thankfully, UWE learned somethings from Combat and have incorporated some Combat elements in NS2 (shorter maps, shorter rounds, personal weapon selection, etc). NS1 survived longer and was better off because of Combat and now NS2 is a better game because of the lessons learned in Combat.