Mid to End Game, Little Variety

PerfectbluePerfectblue Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168864Members
The game overall is very fun; however, from mid game to end game there is very little variety. It simply devolves into exos and onos spam. What would you do to introduce more variety such that every game is not a carbon copy of your last?

Comments

• DestroidDestroid Join Date: 2011-10-25 Member: 129240Members
    Improve the late game viability of Fade and Lerk. Can't say I've noticed the exo spam, jetpackers are quite common, although it would be nicer if the exos had more weapon variety instead of 1 minigun or 2 minigun.
  • greenpeegreenpee Join Date: 2012-04-10 Member: 150218Members
    As marine commander I try to avoid getting exos until I literally can't get anything else (including 3rd and 4th fully operational bases). To try to force new people to get used to how awesome jetpacks are
  • Metal HandkerchiefMetal Handkerchief Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168697Members
    edited November 2012
    Exos are actually pretty easy to deal with, a team full of jetpackers though not so much. I consider the jetpacks bugged though, what with their ridiculous backwards thrust. If a push fails, currently marines can escape with their shotgun pointed at pursuing aliens, and the degree of mobility in CQC is lolbad high. And the jetpack as a concept currently capitalises on the state of the lerk and fade.

But yes, more variety is desperately needed *yesterday*, Destroid nailed it in his post.
  • PHJFPHJF Join Date: 2005-07-13 Member: 55898Members
    I just don't see the utility of a team of jetpackers. Shotguns are only useful point blank, and with no HMG the only other option is the GL (unless the flamethrower buff/fix did anything?)... which isn't much good against an onos. Not to mention shotguns/GLs will never bring a hive down in half a the time a dual exo can. Most hives are in close quarters as well where any old skulk is a single leap from biting your ass.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited November 2012
    I have to agree, I generally enjoy the early to mid game the most. At the late game, dealing with unending hordes of onoses or exo trains can get a bit boring sadly. Then again, I don't think late game was meant to last very long anyway. It's just that most pub games tend to linger on for quite some time because they haven't yet learned how to properly strike the finishing blow.
  • includeinclude aka RpTheHotrod Dallas, TX Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12027Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    There is little variety because of how locked down the gameplay is from a development decision. There's not a lot of "stuff" you can get that's unique (as in the "endgame" is typically always onos and jp/exo. NS1 had a huge variety to gameplay though because marines weren't restricted to needing "tech nodes". They could be creative and do things that would change the flow of the map, such as relocations to different areas. As for the Kharra, the Gorge's ability to "build a base" allowed them to quite literally claim territory outside of hive rooms and have forward bases. With this, everything could change in how the map goes down. It was less about the "rush to highest tier" and more about territory control....and the territory that matters was different from match to match unlike NS2 where "important" territory is pre-determined as tech nodes.
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    If it gets to that point, one team should have ended the game already. As players/comms get better this will happen less. It never happened in beta.
  • PerfectbluePerfectblue Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168864Members
    edited November 2012
    @moultano, I have been in numerous games with competent individuals, yet this still occurs. Even when going up the research tree progressively its not uncommon to start seeing exos and onos in numbers a little bit past the 12 minutes in.
  • JuomariJuomari Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167141Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2024715:date=Nov 15 2012, 09:09 AM:name=Perfectblue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Perfectblue @ Nov 15 2012, 09:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024715"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->@moultano, I have been in numerous games with competent individuals, yet this still occurs. Even when going up the research tree progressively its not uncommon to start seeing exos and onos in numbers a little bit past the 12 minutes in.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

just thought that i let you all know you can have onos within 6min even if aliens have only 3 harvesters, so it's not endgame unit in anyway ( using common sense ), it's also possible to have one in 4mins or even 3mins if aliens dominate earlygame ( have 50% of harvesters in the map ).

sorry, i just couldn't resist posting here this same issue.... seemed just so fitting because this guy said he wonders how he sees onos in 12mins when that's actually late - mid game.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    I don't really see a lot of games that are the same, skilled commanders with teams that know what they're doing and actually follow direction are few and far between. But when they happen, oh man it's one of the best feelings ever. It's the kind of game where even if you lose it's still awesome. Had several games that lasted over an hour, and we traded bases and stuff several times. Eventually it just comes down to one team making a small mistake like not noticing the one silent skulk slowly whittling down the power node in the main base.

When players start getting better and comms learn not to put down a bunch of whips and turrets before they even has res towers, the games will get better. For the time being though, if you have a comm that drops a robotics lab and you don't have at least 5 towers and armor and weapons 2, eject him for a better game.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Vortex and Umbra are significant, they are 'late game' and very powerful support abilities. Mid game is 2 hives isn't it?
  • HazeHaze O RLY? Join Date: 2003-07-07 Member: 18018Members, Constellation
    Game only "looks the same" because it's 30 minutes in and most if not all of the tech has been researched if both teams are at a true stalemate. As far as I can tell late game is all about serious amounts of coordination from both sides, as a single successful push by an Onos or Exo has the ability to wipe out either side's hive or CC in mere moments and win the game. Team's that don't work well typically get crushed outright (they are probably still finishing out their tree while the enemy is beating on them with deployed tech), but I've had just one hour and twenty minute long game of NS2 and <b>it was easily my best gaming experience of 2012</b>. All of the tech was done and researched and both teams were furiously slugging it out, sometimes even trading bases but never abandoning their posts long enough to lose all of their infrastructure in the heat of a push. Though I was using the same stuff for nearly an hour and a half, in my opinion it didn't have a "stale" feeling because every last attack was such an adrenaline pumper. Everything mattered so much, anything could end the game at that point.

If your commander doesn't do a boring lazy strategy and actually barks orders over the comm things can change a hell of a lot from game to game between minute mark 1 to 20. Between 20-30 you can tell if it's going to be a slugfest or if someone is going to win.
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    end game just lasts way too long
    don't look at it from the perspective of time, but from the perspective of technologies

like aliens with 5-6 upgrades and onos is already at endgame, even if it's only 10 minutes in
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2024697:date=Nov 15 2012, 09:59 AM:name=moultano)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (moultano @ Nov 15 2012, 09:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024697"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If it gets to that point, one team should have ended the game already. As players/comms get better this will happen less. It never happened in beta.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^ this. A game over 30-40 minutes was an incredibly long, exhausting game during the beta. It still is. Most games during the late beta were 15-20 minutes at most, even on 20-24 people servers. I played a game over an hour just once during the beta (I think it was an hour and a half actually), and we took screenshots, thinking that it was insanely long.

Then the game got released and the "hour and a half game" was the norm the first week... :-)
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Most super long games are the result of no coordination from either team. It's easier to defend than it is to attack.
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    Good match ups are either incredibly short or incredibly long.

The same can be said of poor match ups.

The trick is being able to recognize the difference.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    fyi there is no mid game.

there is only

1. early game (no onos, no exos)
    2. end game (onos spam, exos spam).

of if you call that 4 minutes onos the starting of mid game, fine.
  • PerfectbluePerfectblue Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168864Members
    @Lofung,

That sounds about right unfortunately.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    There is a midgame. Shotguns, mines, gorges, lerks, and fades are the midgame. Sure, there might be an early onos or two, and hopefully that will be fixed - but there is a pretty decent progression in the game, except for the onos egg drops.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2025369:date=Nov 16 2012, 12:44 PM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Nov 16 2012, 12:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025369"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is a midgame. Shotguns, mines, gorges, lerks, and fades are the midgame. Sure, there might be an early onos or two, and hopefully that will be fixed - but there is a pretty decent progression in the game, except for the onos egg drops.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    the only problem is that unless you have brazillion of rts, where fades would come up 7 minutes into the game, fades usually come up 10~11 minutes where you could just save up another 25 res for an onos which does not get 3 shots and do a lot more with the stomp instead of vortex. nor the fade is going to stop the exo train. a 3-minute fade is not quite useful at all.
  • Bullet_ForceBullet_Force Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165952Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2025369:date=Nov 16 2012, 03:14 PM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Nov 16 2012, 03:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025369"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is a midgame. Shotguns, mines, gorges, lerks, and fades are the midgame. Sure, there might be an early onos or two, and hopefully that will be fixed - but there is a pretty decent progression in the game, except for the onos egg drops.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Shotguns are Early game - Late game for Marines. Their all in 1 weapon. Does everything you need.
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2025376:date=Nov 15 2012, 10:48 PM:name=Bullet_Force)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullet_Force @ Nov 15 2012, 10:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025376"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Shotguns are Early game - Late game for Marines. Their all in 1 weapon. Does everything you need.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Pretty much this. Not that Flamethrowers and GL's don't have their place, but in general a shotgun is all you really <i>need</i> to get the job done.

Onos/Exo spam is generally the fault of a commander that doesn't believe in getting anything other than Onos eggs, then they might think about Carapace as the only upgrade they're likely to buy that round. Everyone else is expected to either Gorge, or go play hide-and-go-#&%$-yourself. That, or new players that save P.Res because they're scared of dying and think the Onos is invulnerable. Most of these Onos are the only reason anyone could legitimately call it 'spam', because they die. Constantly. Which ultimately undermines the whole 'fast Onos' strategy by rather a lot when talking about unorganized pub play where everyone doesn't know each other already. (Hyperbole in places, but it can legitimately feel that way with some commanders.)

Thankfully, I usually command and I don't use fast Onos strategy at all. Yet I continue to win. Not every time, but almost every time. And those matches are <i>fun</i> for everyone on my team because I don't ignore their favorite life form to play, that they are probably legitimately good with.

Also, the relative skill of commanders will make a very big difference on how challenging a given match is. If you're against a Marines commander that knows their stuff, and a team that can consistently hit skulks? If your team can actually use life forms effectively as well; that's when things get interesting.

I also blame the impulse to team-stack, but that would be like complaining that the sky is blue.

Either way, the majority of the matches I play are interesting and quite varied even with the limited structures I can play. Certainly a lot of matches involve me placing things where I know they'll be effective from doing it that way numerous times before, but when the Marines counter one of those things you then need to come up with something new.

In all honesty, if everyone on your team goes Onos it's actually not as effective as an organized team of various life forms. Those life forms cost a lot less, just require more T.Res spent to reach their optimal strength. Delaying research like Bile Bomb for an early Onos just doesn't seem worth it to me when you could just Gorge rush after Bile Bomb. Try and tell me that wouldn't work just as well as an early Onos, yet be different and <i>fun</i>.
  • SiminiSimini Join Date: 2012-09-28 Member: 160916Members
    I would love to play Fade late game, however the unit is just too weak at the moment.
  • JuomariJuomari Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167141Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2025406:date=Nov 15 2012, 09:30 PM:name=Simini)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Simini @ Nov 15 2012, 09:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025406"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would love to play Fade late game, however the unit is just too weak at the moment.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

fade's have their uses in midgame, in endgame however they are nothing but expensive skulks, lol ;F

i think fade cost should be reduced to 30, but that's just me.

oh, and onos egg spam should definetly stop, it's just ruining the game.
  • DestroidDestroid Join Date: 2011-10-25 Member: 129240Members
    Maybe if fades had a researchable focus upgrade at 3 hive? Bleh, I dont like 3hive abilities though, you really need your muscle at 2hive.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2025372:date=Nov 15 2012, 09:47 PM:name=Lofung)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lofung @ Nov 15 2012, 09:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025372"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the only problem is that unless you have brazillion of rts, where fades would come up 7 minutes into the game, fades usually come up 10~11 minutes where you could just save up another 25 res for an onos which does not get 3 shots and do a lot more with the stomp instead of vortex. nor the fade is going to stop the exo train. a 3-minute fade is not quite useful at all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In close games, fades could make a difference. In the beta, lots of people went fade and it made a difference. Unfortunately, fade is EXTREMELY hard to play effectively (lerk kind of is too), especially when you're facing shotguns, whereas you can play onos just as well using your left foot. So people would rather save for oni than go fade.

The real problem is alien teams who don't go lerk or fade should never even get to a position to have an onos. It was that way in most games in the beta. If you didn't get higher life forms, eventually you either lost your second hive or didn't even get a second hive or enough RTs before the game ended to even have a single onos on the team.

Low understanding of the game on both sides means protracted games with lots of camping, blurring of lines, and eventually exo/onos spam. 5 min onos just exacerbates that problem.

I see a HUGE problem with marine teams at the moment. There's no sense of urgency. People are used to FPS games where time is meaningless. In RTS games, time is everything. The moment the game starts, you're on a timer. If you don't outsmart (rush) or outproduce (better economy) your opponent, you lose. This isn't like COD where you camp in a corner and rack up kills...

As people start to play this game like an RTS, you'll probably see a lot more dynamics and variety. Right now a lot of teams camp and wait for exos and oni, which creates absolute crap quality games.