Server option to disable K/D

kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Discuss!</div>What the title says really. I dont see a real need for K/D in a team oriented game. Is the person with the higher kills better? Perhaps they are a crack shot or perhaps they sit back and mooch kills. Is the person with low K but high D a rambo with poor aim or are they the team welder or ninja builder?

Personally I think K/D should be masked - perhaps the scoring system improved to reflect "achieving goals" ie. building, welding, healing, chuckling etc.

Then again NS2 might not be full of people obsessed with the highest kill score. I must admit that I havent heard many people bragging about their ratios etc.

Comments

• MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=2025745:date=Nov 16 2012, 06:08 PM:name=kk20)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kk20 @ Nov 16 2012, 06:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025745"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I must admit that I havent heard many people bragging about their ratios etc.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This. It's not a problem, so I wouldn't sacrifice time for such a feature. Besides, it's sometimes a useful stat. Trying to decide who should get the 6min Onos, I probably won't drop it for someone with 1/12 kd.
  • maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members
    This thread has come up so many times.... K/d is part of any FPS, If your ashamed of your score stop hitting tab. There is no score system that would truly quantify an individual's contribution sure it could be better(kill assist and such).... But as it is k/d is data and if you want to ignore the fact that your 1/25 that is on you but dont expect everyone to be blind to the fact that you die a lot.

My default defense is that a com needs to know which players value their lives. I'm not going to give an onos egg to a player that dosnt know when to run and the best way to tell is k/d....
  • FlyD4wnFlyD4wn Join Date: 2010-04-22 Member: 71484Members
    I'd rather have reserved slots before anything else :P
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Then for the defense of removing the death part, is there is benefit at certain times to killing yourself, or doing a suicide tech killing run.

I'd prefer to see a "Res lost" system. Where all the equipment you die with or weapons that fade away is tallied up.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It should not be "masked". As com, I don't want to be supplying the guy with 3:20 over the guy with 20:3 with medpacks trying to kill a skulk.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    This thread is not about masking kd, but giving the option to do so.

So lets not start that old discussion.
  • greenpeegreenpee Join Date: 2012-04-10 Member: 150218Members
    I like being able to see K:D as comm because it allows me to weight requests from people. If the 2-15 player is demanding an Onos egg, he'll be very quickly ignored. On the other hand, if a 12-10 player who has been constantly rushing into alien bases to destroy upgrades is asking for a ninja phase, I'll be more than happy to provide it because I think he'll pull it off. I don't actually use it to judge knowledge of the game or anything though. Plenty of times I've seen good players have negative k:ds because they're plowing into enemy territory to complete objectives while the rest of the team is playing Call of Duty in east wing.
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    It is a useful metric in the game, commanders are the obvious one but I still use it frequently to judge what the players around me are capable of and then play accordingly.
    <!--quoteo(post=2025828:date=Nov 16 2012, 05:35 PM:name=Argathor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Argathor @ Nov 16 2012, 05:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025828"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is a useful metric in the game, commanders are the obvious one but I still use it frequently to judge what the players around me are capable of and then play accordingly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

True that....
    If I'm running around with a guy who is 12-10 ill work with him and trust him to cover my back.
    If I'm running around with a guy who is 1-18... He'll yeah um going to use him as bait.
  • Draco HoustonDraco Houston Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167145Members
    Couldn't a server mod remove the k:d column from the scoreboard?
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2012
    I am always high on score, but my death count is always the highest. I destroy buildings and do other useful stuff, but than I look to my K/D (which is never over 1, even when I am marine) and I'm insta sad. I'm not a fan of deathmatching and this game is not focused around killing, but having poor stats even if you are actually contributing isn't motivating much. At least death count should be removed. It is especially bad when you get xenocide. I'd like kills removed as well, we have Score which is the sum of all your actions. Well, not all. Rewards for assists and other kind of help should be rewarded as well.
    edited November 2012
    Here is the thing, no one cares about you. As soon as the game ends your score goes poof your k/d goes poof and so does everyone's memory of you. In the end all that matters is your opinion of yourself, if your happy with 3-20 but knowing you killed RTs that's fine for you.

I for one may have higher standards if my ratio drops near 1:1 I know it's time to evolve. I have spent entire games as a sulk with 100 res and a k/d of 4:1.... Sure I could go onos and get 10:1 but with a 4:1 I'm doing fine as a skulk and will save my onos for when I need it.

For those of you who complain about k/d ######s realize that the reason they have the opportunity to kill so many is because they are harassing the enemy and drawing attention. People don't go 30-1 if they sit in base on the armory they might go 5-1. But the player who is knifing down a harvester and kills the 3 skulks trying to save is still kills the harvester

I'm ok with killing an rt and dieing, but I'm only happy with killing an rt AND the player who runs to save it. If I die before I kill the rt I'm pissed at myself for not playing better.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    No. Make a mod. Everyone wins.
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2025875:date=Nov 16 2012, 09:17 AM:name=maD maX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maD maX @ Nov 16 2012, 09:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025875"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Here is the thing, no one cares about you. As soon as the game ends your score goes poof your k/d goes poof and so does everyone's memory of you. In the end all that matters is your opinion of yourself, if your happy with 3-20 but knowing you killed RTs that's fine for you.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--coloro:#aadd00--><span style="color:#aadd00"><!--/coloro-->NS2 stats.. but hey you'd have to look all that up still and play on the right server I suppose.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    <!--quoteo(post=2025915:date=Nov 16 2012, 06:42 PM:name=Kurrine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kurrine @ Nov 16 2012, 06:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025915"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#aadd00--><span style="color:#aadd00"><!--/coloro-->NS2 stats.. but hey you'd have to look all that up still and play on the right server I suppose.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

When your looking at NS2 stats who's stats do you see?

Answer: you see the top 10-20 players and your own (because you looked it up)

Who's score do you remember?

Answer: your own and maybe the #1or 2 players.

Do you think you should be in the top 20?

Answer: if you have a -K/d you don't.

My point is simple no one cares about you. I play with a lot of my steam friends but I couldn't tell you any of their k/d ratios. So don't worry about it because you get a clean start the next round.

If you never get a positive k/d score do you really think your the best person to get an onos egg?
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I used to worry about K:D, and in some games I find myself getting annoyed... But not in NS2. Yes, it helps that I'm generally doing pretty well, but even when I'm having a bad warm up game and have dropped below 1:1, hey ho, I will still sure as hell be following orders, alerting team-mates to threats, trying to organise rushes/defence and so on, and I'll still be having a blast.

I honestly thought it would be a problem for me as it can be in other games where I get annoyed with myself if I end up with a K:D ratio of less than 2, but at least in NS2, I don't mind it at all and would miss it if it's not there. The strategic points that people make are extremely valid, although I'd like to point out that I play very differently as an onos than I do as a skulk... Perhaps I shouldn't, but I usually find that a suicide skulk run that helps the team to gain resources at the expense of me not getting pres while dead is far more helpful in the long-run than me protecting my skulk K:D (which will sort itself out when I evolve anyway if it's not already >2).

The other thing that seems to have helped me accept (and even appreciate) the presence of the K:D logs in the scoreboard is that I have made the conscious effort to be positive about NS2 games: encouraging teammates and focussing on enjoying the game, win or lose (despite playing HARD to win!). That means not sulking if we lose, and being keen to learn, and keen to help out others, and keen to communicate positively. And it means not abusing other players, which I must admit I have done in other games, when I felt hard-done-by. It sounds all horrible and managerial, but that positive mental attitude really, truly is working for me: I'm absolutely loving the game, and I've met loads of great people as a result. I can always find someone decent to play with from my steam list, all built up in the last 2 weeks by being deliberately as positive and communicative as is possible. I'd recommend it to anyone. I've been playing online games for... decades now (!). I'm done being a moaning griping bumface. Nobody likes a whinger!
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    edited November 2012
    for those who think that it is not viable, let me remind you that it had been like that in ns 2.0 if i didnt remember it wrong. being a regular who have pretty good K:D displayed actually contributes to stacking issues.
  • ClydeClyde Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171438Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2025745:date=Nov 16 2012, 10:08 AM:name=kk20)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kk20 @ Nov 16 2012, 10:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025745"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is the person with the higher kills better?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, usually they are. Being able to out kill your opponents is what ultimately gives you map control and leads to you winning the game. Any good marine commander can see this. It doesn't matter how good a job you do commanding, when it comes down to it if your marines can't hit anything then you have no chance.