Cant Hit ######

Spades68Spades68 Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168093Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Sigh</div>Anyone else have this issue as a Marine? I mean I seriously am like Ray Charles against a skulk who has some basic understanding of how to play. The moment they close the gap its over 9/10 unless they just got done fighting 2 others are were wounded...

I always end up "following" the target, spraying behind him, I have no clue where he is going to be, if I should just not turn around or try and follow. Should I just try and run after him to make it extremely confusing since we endlessly clip through each-other?

End statement, I have no clue what I am doing wrong, my accuracy is spot on in CS, but this is completely different, this is like tracking X1000 harder... There is no "I know where he is going to be".

I even have kids rub it in my face jumping around like wacko's 20 yards away showing me I can't track there movements.

TIPS/ADVICE? No trolls please.

Comments

• JKooLJKooL Join Date: 2002-12-24 Member: 11492Members, Constellation
    edited November 2012
    Try increasing mouse sensitivity! Natural Selection has always been the only game where I cranked sensitivity up so high it would make me nauseous in a normal FPS.

Use the shotgun more often. It is extremely rewarding to plunk down that well aimed shot, and unforgiving if you miss. If you get good with the shotgun, which requires you to time and place your shots well instead of spraying and praying, you will be better at tracking with the LMG.
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    You just need practice mang.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    A useful thing to know is that skulks defy newtons third law and can change direction in mid air.
  • KaptajnKLOKaptajnKLO Join Date: 2012-06-25 Member: 153658Members
    Like antacid said you just need to keep at it. Having played other FPS games count for nothing since most are range vs ranged. You have to become accustomed to the tracking in a ranged vs melee game. I would suggest watching some videos of good players playing as marines and see how they track aliens and how they move around. I know that helped me a lot.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited November 2012
    1. make sure you have a good fps... anything below 40 is very 'laggy' and therefore extremely difficult to aim.

2. make sure your mouse sensitivity isn't too low or too high. a good sensitivity is one where you can turn 180 degrees relatively easily, but still track small adjustments comfortably. my preference is about 8-9 inches to turn 360.

3. never hold down the fire button unless you're sure your crosshair is on the target. what you want to avoid is wasting 75% of your clip by randomly spraying when your crosshair was clearly not on the target. there is no randomness or recoil, so only press fire when you have a good shot.

4. learn to anticipate jumping patterns and predict their movement. he hid behind a box? be wary and prepared that he could climb over the box and jump at your face etc.

i'm by no means a great player, but in 14-16man servers i've occasionally got >40 kills as a marine. mostly because i hear skulks coming, prepare, kill the first one at safe range to reload and then usually have a good chance of winning a 2v1 with combined 2nd AR mag and pistol. obviously they're playing wrong to just charge at a marine thinking they're invincible because of superior numbers - nope.

my aiming is not bad, because i've been playing at least a bit of FPS for most days over 10 years... but it's mainly the ability to predict what they're going to do, before you even see them (or before they see you).
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    In time you will be able to anticipate more or less what most skulks will do. Don't freak out and just start shooting at the first sign of a skulk, make your shots count.
  • ClydeClyde Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171438Members
    I would have said your mouse sensitivity is too high. If you're a good CS player though you probably already play with a really low sensitivity. I don't recommend using different sensitivities in different games. You want to have consistent muscle memory across every game you play.

It might just take time to acquire the feel for how the aliens move. This is really a subconscious thing you have to develop and will just take practice. The way you as a marine move can also help you in hitting the aliens. You can juke and dodge in a certain way to direct where the alien is moving and give yourself a better shot.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    Also, don't just play marines. Make sure you are playing as an alien a fair amount as well this will give you a better idea of what other marines do to kill you and what a skulk is able to do to counter it.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2012
    I think you will find the shotgun a bit more familiar. NS(2) is all about tracking very fast moving targets up close and personal. With the rifle its all about your tracking of target skills, which can be trained. With the shotgun it is a point and click adventure (you point and click for profit :P)
  • elpollo12elpollo12 Join Date: 2011-07-12 Member: 109909Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I played 200+ hours in the beta. Hitting ######. Then i decreased mouse sensitivity by nearly 50%. This helped me alot.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    edited November 2012
    I haven't seen this mentioned yet but I think it's probably the most important thing when it comes to aiming... be very aware of your positioning.

In a pub, most of my skulk kills are very easy. I'm able to calmly place my crosshair on them and they die in a couple of seconds. That's because I choose the position that has the longest distant from me to them and I try to make sure, if they want to attack me, that they don't have too much to hide behind. It's simple, but if you don't think about it positioning you may be making your game 100x more difficult.

In addition to your personal positioning, be very aware of what teammates are close to you. One of my favorite moves is to have a teammate walk about 10 to 15 feet infront of me. When a skulk closes in on him, he does the jumping dance of trying to live and I just calmly shoot the skulk. You shouldn't really ever be standing close to a marine teammate unless you're welding him.

When a skulk is in close it almost always comes down to your skill level. Can you 'sense' where they're going to go? Do you have the ability to twitch shot? If you're dying 9 out of 10 times, probably not. Obviously, you can't always avoid this situation but do everything you can to prevent a skulk getting that close.

/edit;

This suggestion also applies to a lot of other games. I always knew how important your position was, but when I really sunk a lot of hours into sniping in Tribes:Ascend I realized it's completely game changing. If you have the right position you don't have to be an aiming twitch master to rank up the kills.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2027067:date=Nov 17 2012, 01:42 PM:name=JKooL)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JKooL @ Nov 17 2012, 01:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027067"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Try increasing mouse sensitivity! Natural Selection has always been the only game where I cranked sensitivity up so high it would make me nauseous in a normal FPS.

Use the shotgun more often. It is extremely rewarding to plunk down that well aimed shot, and unforgiving if you miss. If you get good with the shotgun, which requires you to time and place your shots well instead of spraying and praying, you will be better at tracking with the LMG.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'd recommend against putting your sensitifity so high you can no longer make precise shots. But what he's saying is reasonably accurate. The skill you need to master here is accurately keeping your crosshair on a moving target. We call it "tracking". A very low sensitivity is more condusive to CS because it makes snipe shots or "snap shots" more accurate; you can identify a target and accurately snap your crosshair to the target. You don't as much need to worry about the target moving after it's been shot, or significantly changing directions. NS players use this skill as well, especially with the shot gun, however, it's usually much more important that your tracking skill is in a good place, because you use it SO much in NS. Your sensitivity needs to be such that you don't have to pick up your mouse to track a skulk the majority of the time.
  • JuomariJuomari Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167141Members
    i can't hit a ###### as marine either... i think it just needs a lot of practise, i think this is mostly because i play as commander 100% of the time when i get the chance as marine.

weird thing is that i'm freaking nasty skulk ( or then i have just encountered noob marines ? ), i think it goes something like this :

marine is easy to start with -> but is hard to master

skulks is hard to start with -> but is easy to master once you get it

that's how it was for me atleast.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Make sure you get yourself a custom crosshair, there are quite a few in the workshop. The default game crosshairs are less than optimal for aiming.
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2027213:date=Nov 18 2012, 05:22 AM:name=Juomari)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juomari @ Nov 18 2012, 05:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027213"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i can't hit a ###### as marine either... i think it just needs a lot of practise, i think this is mostly because i play as commander 100% of the time when i get the chance as marine.

weird thing is that i'm freaking nasty skulk ( or then i have just encountered noob marines ? ), i think it goes something like this :

marine is easy to start with -> but is hard to master

skulks is hard to start with -> but is easy to master once you get it

that's how it was for me atleast.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They both have their difficulties, you'll see how good you really are once you start playing competitive games. You see a lot of pub-stompers with massive K:D ratios get pretty close to 1:1 in competitive games as even the best marine has trouble tracking leaping/wall jumping/erratic skulks, especially in packs like most comp play.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you haven't played many FPS's before it does take a while. Or you just really new... :P
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    It can be very difficult tracking a skulk moving in the vertical rather than the horizontal. Try not to waste to many bullets trying to hit a skulk that's being erratic all over the walls, he's probably just trying to get you to empty your clip. Surprisingly, I find that marines become just as deadly as skulks in close range, because at that range all it takes is half a second of your cross hair being on the target and its down.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Something else that will probably help
    - Find a combat server and play alot of marine there. It's basically deathmatch so very little walking and alot of shooting practice per minute.
  • SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
    Use your mini-map. You can usually find where skulks are and where they will most likely attack. Also, you'll learn the hiding spots so you'll look their more often (see comp. games). And, obvious but I'll say it anyway, don't let them get close to you lol... and try to time your jumps when the alien is walking to you (isn't immediately jump spamming). I've jumped over skulks and strafed around long enough to reload and continue firing (if I were really good I'd never have to reload 1v1 lol). hope this thread helps.
  • NSDigiNSDigi Join Date: 2010-04-23 Member: 71503Members
    <!--coloro:#2E8B57--><span style="color:#2E8B57"><!--/coloro-->Spades, Make sure your graphic settings are turned all the way down and your resolution is at a reasonable level. The higher the frame rate, the easier it is to aim and track your target. Mouse excel should be turned off and your sensitivity should be at a lower level, generally between 1 and 5. Sensitivity varies from system to system depending on your OS and hardware setup.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • CanucckCanucck Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72987Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2027067:date=Nov 17 2012, 02:42 PM:name=JKooL)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JKooL @ Nov 17 2012, 02:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027067"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Try increasing mouse sensitivity! Natural Selection has always been the only game where I cranked sensitivity up so high it would make me nauseous in a normal FPS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NO!

This is the exact opposite of what you want to do. Decrease your sensitivity as low as you feel comfortable, then keep decreasing as you get more comfortable with the lower setting. Learn to move your mouse with your arm instead of your wrist, it's easier physically on your arm, it's easier to predict exactly how your mouse will move on the screen, and with those two things combined you'll have a much easier time tracking a target no matter how fast they're moving. Also if you want to do a 180 degree turn for example it's A LOT easier to feel out a 7" movement of your mouse than it is a 7mm movement, and this also drastically decreases the margin for error (moving 8mm instead of 7mm will be a significant overshoot compared to moving 8" vs 7"). In short your elbow/shoulder are designed for this type of movement while your wrist is not.

Personally I use 2.0 ingame sensitivity with 600dpi, which works out to a 14"/360 (easier to keep the exact same sens between games measuring this way). This was still considered a pretty medium-high sensitivity in games like Tribes and Quake where tracking was everything.

Also make sure your windows mouse sensitivity is at 6/11 (any higher and you'll skip pixels) and all acceleration is off.
  • RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
    Positioning, positioning, positioning.

Give yourself every little advantage you can:
    <ul><li>Check vents: A skulk or lerk sitting at a vent opening doesn't have much room to move and is usually an easy kill.</li><li>Go around corners as widely as possible: A good alien will hear your footsteps, and will wait for you just around the corner.</li><li>Keep your distance from your team-mates: It's much easier to shoot a skulk who is circle-strafing a marine that is a couple of meters away from you, and it makes it much harder for that skulk to get a quick kill-streak.</li></ul>
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I know something that helped me a ton was to "aim lower." By that, I mean skulks fell much faster when they were hopping around than I anticipated, and almost always wound up shooting just above them.