Remove nfestation?

zzzornbringerzzzornbringer Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168559Members
hey,

i really enjoy your game but for me it has one big issue i can't fix on my own. it's the game's performance in infested areas.

it looks cool and all but it really kills the framerate. does the visual have a huge gameplay impact or can it be resolved differently. like, only display a radius for the cysts instead of actual infestiation. it would give the commander the important information and keeps framerate up.

is there a way to disable the display of the infestation all together or would you consider this a cheat? i would really love to deactivate it completely. it basicly cuts my frames in half or even worse.

Comments

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    You can turn the Infestation from "Rich" to "Minimal" in the graphics options menu; does that help?
  • zzzornbringerzzzornbringer Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168559Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2026994:date=Nov 17 2012, 09:23 AM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TychoCelchuuu @ Nov 17 2012, 09:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026994"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can turn the Infestation from "Rich" to "Minimal" in the graphics options menu; does that help?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    i'm running at minimal but it doesn't help.

here's my sys specs btw.

<a href="http://www.sysprofile.de/id155741" target="_blank">http://www.sysprofile.de/id155741</a>
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think the cysts themselves need the most optimization, something about their code or implementation steals performance away making the minimal/rich setting meaningless.
  • RMJRMJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155190Members
    The infestation doesnt impact the FPS at all.

The game had ###### FPs before the infestation was even implemented, and was just flat glitchy textures.

Infact the FPS might have improved a bit since they added infestation.

So again to recap, Infestation doesnt eat FPS on any setting.

What does eat FPS is the other worthless settings. and turn those off instead :) and gain like 20-30fps.
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2027062:date=Nov 17 2012, 10:31 AM:name=RMJ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RMJ @ Nov 17 2012, 10:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027062"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The infestation doesnt impact the FPS at all.

The game had ###### FPs before the infestation was even implemented, and was just flat glitchy textures.

What does eat FPS is the other worthless settings. and turn those off instead :) and gain like 20-30fps.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--coloro:#aadd00--><span style="color:#aadd00"><!--/coloro-->You seem to be quite misinformed. For starters when infestation was implemented the game was still in alpha with terrible optimization still. So it's quite terrible to even use that as any sort of example. It also has nothing to do with graphics, as the graphical portion of infestation is cheap to display and isn't the part taxing CPUs and servers. The part doing so is the 6 or so entities needing to be regularly called, per cyst. This is what makes the rich/minimal setting worthless.

Go try NS2c sometime, without infestation the game runs far better where it's missing.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2027062:date=Nov 17 2012, 02:31 PM:name=RMJ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RMJ @ Nov 17 2012, 02:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027062"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The infestation doesnt impact the FPS at all.

What does eat FPS is the other worthless settings. and turn those off instead :) and gain like 20-30fps.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You talk with a lot of authority for someone who has no clue wtf they are talking about.
  • private_jokerprivate_joker Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169534Members
    I have this problem too. Removing all infestation would be great.

-Joker
  • maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2027062:date=Nov 17 2012, 07:31 PM:name=RMJ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RMJ @ Nov 17 2012, 07:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027062"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The infestation doesnt impact the FPS at all.

While the game has been significantly optimized over the past 2 year the idea that infestation does not affect FPS is amusing. The increase in FPS has to do with optimization of the game, overall your statement implies that infestation helped FPS. Your making a statement of causality where where a system changed from A-B and c occurred during that change, therefore c caused that change. This is known as a causal fallacy The truth is FPS dropped when they first introduced infestation (a lot) and over the last year they have optimized the codeine so that its better then before. Removing infestation would reduce the number of renders/entities/textures/processes undoubtably increasing performance therein FPS. The real question is how much would it help? Considering the optimizations that have occurred that increase may be small but it would be there.
  • CobraCommanderCobraCommander Join Date: 2012-07-30 Member: 154472Members
    I want a more polished infestation. Current looks fake in some areas.
  • zzzornbringerzzzornbringer Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168559Members
    something definetely should be done about it. there is nothing worse than inconsistent framerates.

and i'm not planning on upgrading to a gtx670 or something like that any time soon.
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    I can feel a significant drop in framerate whenever I enter a heavily infested area, even on minimum infestation settings. Its not as bad as it was on my old machine where I had the framerate dropped to 9fps in a hive at one point, but its still pretty noticeable. I don't think removing it is the answer, being a core mechanic and all, some optimisation would be welcome though.