Trolling problems

lifesfunlifesfun Join Date: 2011-02-24 Member: 83302Members, Reinforced - Shadow
I was in a game today and was commanding. A player started spamming the ammo and med commands. He did it for 5 min. Soo annoying. I had to rage. The player later proceeded to troll the command station by dropping all medpacks. So I had to switch servers.

We really need better admin services for servers. You need to be able to kick players from the server. I mean I dont mind switching servers but it is fun to compete with the same people rather then having to switch.

Comments

• Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2026732:date=Nov 17 2012, 02:41 AM:name=lifesfun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lifesfun @ Nov 17 2012, 02:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026732"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was in a game today and was commanding. A player started spamming the ammo and med commands.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Happend also to me. He did it the whole game long and I was unable to support any marine who needs realy meds/Ammo.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    Yeah, some humans are idiots. Switch the server. Ignore him and he will lose interest. If you begin to argue with such people they got what they want. Just leave and let him alone. he will lose interest fast.

Oh, but a vote-kick-option IS needed.
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    Just need to have more server admins on the server. For the non UWE servers there tend to be admins around about half the time but for the UWE servers I can't say since I've never been able to connect.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    can we include a feature where 'muting' a player also mutes their request commands?
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    <u><b>lifesfun:</b></u>

I'm fortunate enough to play on a set of servers where the owner made a bunch of the regulars and some of the more respected commanders admins so stuff like this never happens

Despite this I've seen far worse, but I'm going to keep it to myself for obvious reasons
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited November 2012
    earlier i managed to get onto the marine team for a change and a guy stole the commander chair then went afk... anything you can do or is it gg?
  • ToastieToastie Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167351Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2027337:date=Nov 17 2012, 07:21 PM:name=ogz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ogz @ Nov 17 2012, 07:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027337"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->can we include a feature where 'muting' a player also mutes their request commands?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This.
  • MuchHigherMuchHigher Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171066Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2027349:date=Nov 17 2012, 07:29 PM:name=tarquinbb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tarquinbb @ Nov 17 2012, 07:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027349"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->earlier i managed to get onto the marine team for a change and a guy stole the commander chair then went afk... anything you can do or is it gg?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There is an eject commander button. Hold down X and click it, it is at the top.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2027373:date=Nov 18 2012, 12:53 AM:name=MuchHigher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MuchHigher @ Nov 18 2012, 12:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027373"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is an eject commander button. Hold down X and click it, it is at the top.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lmao... i hope it has an animation where a spring-loaded platform faceplants him into the ceiling.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2027349:date=Nov 17 2012, 04:29 PM:name=tarquinbb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tarquinbb @ Nov 17 2012, 04:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027349"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->earlier i managed to get onto the marine team for a change and a guy stole the commander chair then went afk... anything you can do or is it gg?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You can vote to eject him.

There are a handful of admins around for UWE servers, and while i wont list all of them, if you guys have any issues with griefers on any of them please feel free to contact me on steam (same name, same avatar) and be sure to grab screenshots of the the console for text history and sv_Status for ids. etc.

A kick vote system does need to be put in place, i'll mention this again as many have now that we are past the feature lockdown line. :)
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    More vote commands would be useful (votekick, votemute, votesilence, votemap, etc), but all the necessary admin commands are in. Even the best automated solutions aren't a substitute for playing on a well-managed and adminned server.
  • Bad MojoBad Mojo Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67317Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2026732:date=Nov 17 2012, 05:41 AM:name=lifesfun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lifesfun @ Nov 17 2012, 05:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026732"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was in a game today and was commanding. A player started spamming the ammo and med commands. He did it for 5 min. Soo annoying. I had to rage. The player later proceeded to troll the command station by dropping all medpacks. So I had to switch servers.

We really need better admin services for servers. You need to be able to kick players from the server. I mean I dont mind switching servers but it is fun to compete with the same people rather then having to switch.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was in that game and witnessed this unfold. The story is accurate.

Simply put, the game just needs some core functionality (muting) to quickly and easily solve problems like this without necessarily needing an admin around.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well for starters, an easy quick fix would be to disable request health when they're full. Or disable health/ammo requests when you're in a certain radius or room of an Armory.

So if a Marine were to try to request spam in a base they would just be spammed with waypoints to the armory.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2027432:date=Nov 18 2012, 02:53 AM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Nov 18 2012, 02:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027432"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well for starters, an easy quick fix would be to disable request health when they're full. Or disable health/ammo requests when you're in a certain radius or room of an Armory.

So if a Marine were to try to request spam in a base they would just be spammed with waypoints to the armory.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

For starters yeah, but he could still spam "awaiting orders".
  • RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
    Then add a 15 sec cooldown between making requests. :P

And/or a scoreboard option to mute requests from a player.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2027443:date=Nov 17 2012, 09:01 PM:name=CrushaK)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CrushaK @ Nov 17 2012, 09:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027443"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For starters yeah, but he could still spam "awaiting orders".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

*sighs* I knew I should have added that one in.

A 30 second cooldown timer or being unable to request an order when a commander has already given one to you. It would be persistent until the order is completed or the commander has ordered you do do something else. In the case that you already have an order and you request an order, it'll just replay your current order and you can spam yourself.
  • RMJRMJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155190Members
    Just put it so you can only request ammo / health every say 30sec or 1 min whatever.
    <!--quoteo(post=2027474:date=Nov 17 2012, 09:25 PM:name=RMJ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RMJ @ Nov 17 2012, 09:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027474"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just put it so you can only request ammo / health every say 30sec or 1 min whatever.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd be reluctant on that, as it's possible a commander could miss a request and then wouldn't be able to find the marine needing health/ammo/order.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    I've had that happen to me before. Don't kick up a fuss, just calmly explain to the person that what they're doing is really annoying and if they don't stop you're going to leave. And if they keep on doing it after that, than just go to a different server. If there's no admin, I find that's the best way to deal with it.

Remember, they're trying to get a reaction from you. Don't give them the satisfaction. The other people on the server can rage at the person once you're gone, for ruining an otherwise perfect game and forcing the comm to leave.

If they continue being disruptive, chances are they'll be caught by an admin eventually and banned.

It actually shouldn't be that hard to make a server-side mod that detects this. Whenever a player asks for a medpack, it could check if the player has asked for one multiple times in the last 30 seconds, and whether the person was on full health during all those medpack requests. Likewise for ammo. And also, detect if a person stands around repeatedly asking for a medpack/ammo when they're in the same room as an armory.

After about 10 requests a warning would pop up. Next time, you die. Next time, you're kicked. Next time, you're banned.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2027475:date=Nov 17 2012, 09:27 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Nov 17 2012, 09:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027475"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd be reluctant on that, as it's possible a commander could miss a request and then wouldn't be able to find the marine needing health/ammo/order.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

make 'mute' also mute request orders
  • Bad MojoBad Mojo Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67317Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2027486:date=Nov 17 2012, 09:39 PM:name=d0ped0g)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (d0ped0g @ Nov 17 2012, 09:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027486"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've had that happen to me before. Don't kick up a fuss, just calmly explain to the person that what they're doing is really annoying and if they don't stop you're going to leave. And if they keep on doing it after that, than just go to a different server. If there's no admin, I find that's the best way to deal with it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Like I said, I was in the game when this happened. The guy was jumping up and down swinging his axe at the Command Station, spamming 'Request Medpack.' The OP did literally exactly what you just suggested, in the order you suggested it, including leaving the server (I left as well).

Maybe instead of playing the "Soldier Needs Health!" sound to the commander every time a request is made, it can play the first time the requst is made, but then subsequent requests just put a flashing health notification on the minimap for the commander, same going for health/orders. If somebody requests orders it could show up as a flashing question mark or something on the minimap. Other useful tools would be having a button pop up on the side of the screen with a health logo, that when clicked on, would take you to the last health requesting marine (or the lowest health marine that has made a request) that you can simply click on and are taken to him. I know the spacebar already serves this function but it's only one button and can't distinguish between health/ammo requests and requests for orders.
  • dethovudethovu Join Date: 2009-06-23 Member: 67906Members
    Trolls and ###### in general have flooded the servers since launch and there probably won't be an end in sight considering a lot of people are just ######s online anymore.

Definitely need to think about adding some types of player management built into the game without the need of an admin mod. NS1 didn't suffer an awful lot of this -- times have certainly changed. Now get off my lawn.
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    could've been worse <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADKaFeVADu0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADKaFeVADu0</a>
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    I've removed 9 posts concerning people having issues with certain servers.
    Please keep those off these forums, thank you.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2012
    Those examples like minor griefing, which are more sinister and serious. Ths term "trolling" is misused way too much these days, even in the media. Trolling is usually harmless fun.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    I'd actually like to see a MOTD on servers, I don't see why this is so hard to get. Since most servers don't have admins it would be nice to have a MOTD where ideally the owners would leave their contact info. Speaking of which who is in charge of moderation for the UWE servers? On some of the private servers I don't have too much trouble finding who runs them, but not so much the UWE ones. It would be nice to get a little list going of people who repeatedly cause problems. I've already collected a few steamids and forwarded them to some server operators. I don't mind trash talking at all, but when you are just being personally offensive it's just uncalled for.