nitpicking and suggestions (Map editor)

CrashzxsCrashzxs Join Date: 2012-11-23 Member: 172983Members, Reinforced - Shadow
I have played with the map editor for a bit, and would like to add some suggestions to the workflow of creating a map using that editor, and ways to make it easier to do so.

With a half decent amount of experience using programs like Auto-CAD, I think the editor could go a long way with including co-ordinate (X, Y, Z) based shape making/placing, for example placing a square, using a 3 point mode, with the start point at 0, 0, 0, 2nd point at 20, 0, 10, and third at 20, 30, 10, would make a 30 x 30 square that is angled 60*. this way would make for far more accurate, and in my honest opinion faster, map creation, instead of doing it all by eye and snap to grid.

Speaking of snaps, some additional ones besides snap to grid could be useful too, such as snap to vertices or snap to edge, with the option to disable each individually.

And last, an option to place a multi-sided polygon (anything from 3 to 30), with sides of a specified length, or radius of certain size, that has the option to place it from the center, vertices, or edge, would make making a hex or octagon with equal sides a breeze.

Comments

• Bad MojoBad Mojo Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67317Members
    There is a <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showforum=105" target="_blank">mapping section</a> of the forums, which is where this should be.

To respond though...The Spark Editor needs some major work to make life easier for the user. I have only barely messed around with mapping in the past, but I think I remember that the Hammer editor has many shapes you can create with a simple tool. Cylinder, Sphere, Cube, Cone, etc...all of which you can simply put in the dimensions and there it is. This making everything from basically complete scratch and flat faces is too difficult for a beginner like myself. =(