de-steam your game please

mes0mes0 Join Date: 2012-11-24 Member: 173100Members
Hi, I was interested in buying this game..until I found out it was only available through steam.
I really hate steam and won't support them, so you guys get boycotted too unfortunately.

It would be great if you released a version that didn't require steam since I have had horrible
experiences and will not subject myself to their awful customer service (if you even wanna call it service...)

Anyways just wanted to let you guys know the game looks sweet but I won't be supporting
it until it's available somewhere besides steam.

Comments

• whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Shhh. One of us. One of us. One of us.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    There is nothing bad about Steam, really. They give indies a fair share (25-30% goes to Steam for the service they provide) compared to other publishers and they are just the way to go if you want to sell a PC game these days. There are people who don't even buy games anywhere else anymore.

I also only made good experience with their customer service thus far. If you formulate your request like an entitled child, you can be sure to be put at the very end of their priority list. In my case did I ask them to remove a game from my account and get the price refunded in my Steam Wallet (I didn't notice in the shop that the game was censored in my country, so I regretted my purchase). Their terms, like those of most digital distributors, usually say that there is no refunding, but they showed goodwill and did it anyway.
    And any purchasement problems during a server overload in the first Summer Sales were handled very gracefully by the support.
  • purephoenixpurephoenix Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172074Members
    I've been beta testing for steam since it was created, i've got to say the OP's concerns are warranted.
    However valve have been pretty good to me... for picking up some bugs/hacks in Dota2 they gave me 4 free copies and UWE wanted to do the same for me so valve co-operated and passed on a free copy of NS2 as well.

Treat valve with respect and you get quite alot back.
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2033788:date=Nov 24 2012, 11:08 PM:name=purephoenix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (purephoenix @ Nov 24 2012, 11:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2033788"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've been beta testing for steam since it was created, i've got to say the OP's concerns are warranted.
    However valve have been pretty good to me... for picking up some bugs/hacks in Dota2 they gave me 4 free copies and UWE wanted to do the same for me so valve co-operated and passed on a free copy of NS2 as well.

Treat valve with respect and you get quite alot back.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You know a lot of people did get free copies, for both DotA2 (Steam) and UWE (pre-order) right ? How do you know it was from reporting bugs/hack ?
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I completely agree with OP, I've been hoping for this game to come out on Origin.

[/sarcasm]
  • SjNSjN Join Date: 2003-01-07 Member: 11983Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Steam has a customer service? hmmm cool.. I will keep it in mind :P
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2033851:date=Nov 24 2012, 06:18 PM:name=SjN)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SjN @ Nov 24 2012, 06:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2033851"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Steam has a customer service? hmmm cool.. I will keep it in mind :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This. Steam support is laughable.

All that said, steam is good for an indie dev for deployment, patching, steamworks mods, advertising and DRM protection.
  • RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
    Steam's subscriber agreement is pretty brutal. I can completely understand why some are not comfortable with it.

Long story short: You don't have any rights to anything on your steam account. You didn't purchase the game on Steam, you paid a one-off life-time subscription fee that happened to coincide with the brick-and-mortar cost of the game. As part of the Steam subscriber agreement, you waive your rights to legal recourse should anything go wrong. Should Valve decide to suspend or revoke your subscription for any reason, the agreement you accepted dictates that your only recourse is to go through Valve's customer service team.

Purchasing game subscriptions from Steam <i>is</i> financially risky because you haven't actually bought anything. Your steam account isn't worth anything, because it doesn't technically contain anything.
  • Katana314Katana314 Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166379Members
    What is the alternative? Keep in mind, this game needs:

-Exposure to massive audiences
    -Networking assistance
    -A social system to let people join each other's games
    -A distribution method

If not Steam, it would have to be some other, far-less-developed download system. And don't give the ludicrous idea that a store like Wal-Mart will grant shelf space to such a low-profile game, so this can be turned into a retail game.

People always give "don'ts". But is there really any better option for these guys? Even if they let people download the game through their own website (not easy to maintain on its own!), understand the other major issues.
  • KopikatKopikat Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158170Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2033869:date=Nov 24 2012, 04:48 PM:name=Rokiyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rokiyo @ Nov 24 2012, 04:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2033869"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Steam's subscriber agreement is pretty brutal. I can completely understand why some are not comfortable with it.

Long story short: You don't have any rights to anything on your steam account. You didn't purchase the game on Steam, you paid a one-off life-time subscription fee that happened to coincide with the brick-and-mortar cost of the game. As part of the Steam subscriber agreement, you waive your rights to legal recourse should anything go wrong. Should Valve decide to suspend or revoke your subscription for any reason, the agreement you accepted dictates that your only recourse is to go through Valve's customer service team.

Purchasing game subscriptions from Steam <i>is</i> financially risky because you haven't actually bought anything. Your steam account isn't worth anything, because it doesn't technically contain anything.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Realize you don't legally own any of the retail copy of games either. You're not paying for the game, you've buying a license to use the data on the disk. Which can be revoked at any time for any or no reason. Same deal for consoles, which is why they can take you to court for modding it, because technically you're ######ing around with <i>their</i> property.

So to boycott Steam because of that is silly.

Also, you don't wave legal recourse. You just can't bring a class action lawsuit against them, but arbitration is still an option. Valve will also pay for your legal fees, regardless of the outcome of the case.
    <!--quoteo(post=2033811:date=Nov 25 2012, 09:18 AM:name=RedSword)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RedSword @ Nov 25 2012, 09:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2033811"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You know a lot of people did get free copies, for both DotA2 (Steam) and UWE (pre-order) right ? How do you know it was from reporting bugs/hack ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I didn't pre-order NS2, it was gifted to me by a RL mate. It mysteriously upgraded to Special Edition for free.
    I wasn't entitled to a free copy at all.

Also 1 copy of Dota2 after the beta expired would be typical, but 4? How many people do you know got gifted 5 total copies?
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2033908:date=Nov 25 2012, 02:48 AM:name=purephoenix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (purephoenix @ Nov 25 2012, 02:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2033908"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I didn't pre-order NS2, it was gifted to me by a RL mate. It mysteriously upgraded to Special Edition for free.
    I wasn't entitled to a free copy at all.

Also 1 copy of Dota2 after the beta expired would be typical, but 4? How many people do you know got gifted 5 total copies?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Tons of people. As me (5 6 or 7, can't remember exactly). Anyone that got DotA2 long time ago too... that's why its TF2 price is low. And well, cool for you for "SE".

• mes0mes0 Join Date: 2012-11-24 Member: 173100Members
    Last time I checked devs aren't required to exclusively sell on steam. Options are nice and honestly I'd way rather give the dev the entire price of the game for 1 download of it instead of giving 30% to a company that I don't want to have anything to do with. Maybe they are helping out these particular devs and its worthwhile for them.

either way, this game looks cool but I'll be passing until they offer another purchase option
    VALVe does have a tendency of lending it's coders to some companies, to get the product finished.
    EA games, Activision, all the big companies... they all do it
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    1. Lose revenue from 2 or 3 butthurt whiners who don't want to use steam.
    2. Lose revenue from thousands of players who choose to pirate a game that is not unified by a single central system of authentication.
    3. Lose tens of thousands of dollars constructing your own central authentication system.

HMMMMMMM, TOUGH CHOICE.
    tens of thousands? No such thing. Gearbox made their own for Borderlands 2, it works. Pirated version cant' use shift codes or play online.

4. Create account based authentication so you can't do jack if you use a pirated copy.
    e.g battlefield.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2034128:date=Nov 25 2012, 04:23 AM:name=purephoenix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (purephoenix @ Nov 25 2012, 04:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2034128"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->4. Create account based authentication so you can't do jack if you use a pirated copy.
    e.g battlefield.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

4. Piss off thousand of steam users by having dual-authentication in order to play.
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2034128:date=Nov 25 2012, 01:23 AM:name=purephoenix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (purephoenix @ Nov 25 2012, 01:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2034128"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gearbox made their own for Borderlands 2, it works. Pirated version cant' use shift codes or play online.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Direct message from a friend, 30 minutes ago:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->hey grab borderlands2 from here *link(removed)* so we can play together. has installer and a lot of pirated servers r up<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can play any game online, sans authentication, if you have corresponding servers to connect to.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Not really sure how they could sell the game otherwise, you gonna foot the distribution costs?
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2034128:date=Nov 25 2012, 11:23 AM:name=purephoenix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (purephoenix @ Nov 25 2012, 11:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2034128"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->tens of thousands? No such thing. Gearbox made their own for Borderlands 2, it works. Pirated version cant' use shift codes or play online.

4. Create account based authentication so you can't do jack if you use a pirated copy.
    e.g battlefield.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What? Out of then air? How the ###### do you think they simply "made their own"? You think ###### like that is free? You realise you are talking about <b>Borderlands 2</b> right? Most marketed game of 2012 this side of Halo 4? You understand how much money they have right? You don't think that maybe just A SMALL AMOUNT of that went to their authentication system?

Jesus some people are ignorant.
  • Vladimir Van VodkaVladimir Van Vodka Sexy Beast Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73364Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Somebody that dislikes steam?
    <!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->So.... the legends <i>where</i> true.<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
  • Katana314Katana314 Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166379Members
    As a programmer, I have to say, I feel like smacking someone with a large and heavy object when they suggest such systems (centralized authentication) aren't worth factoring into the budget.

You want to say that about indies like World of Goo too (who thankfully did not feel like using any DRM), when they started developing their game in internet cafes? The finished quality of Natural Selection 2 may fool you, but keep in mind they're working with a pretty small team at UKE.
    <!--quoteo(post=2034166:date=Nov 25 2012, 09:30 PM:name=Omar - The Wire)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Omar - The Wire @ Nov 25 2012, 09:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2034166"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Direct message from a friend, 30 minutes ago:

You can play any game online, sans authentication, if you have corresponding servers to connect to.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

*IF*. Exactly. B1 online had a terribly low amount of online players to begin with, most play it on LAN.
    Chances of there being any dedicated, hacked servers in aus is pretty close to zero.
    That also doesn't fix the issues of no DLC and no shift codes :P

<!--quoteo(post=2034221:date=Nov 25 2012, 11:09 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Nov 25 2012, 11:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2034221"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Jesus some people are ignorant.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, yes you really are. How long do you actually think it takes to make a basic auth system? Hint; learning programmers do it in abuot <u><b>an hour.</b></u> Add encryption and some anti-hack defences and you've got a couple of days work, tops.
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    Hey remember when a storm hit Washington (was it 2007?) and steam's authentication servers went down for a week or two? Nobody could play their games!

Besides that I don't really have as much of a gripe as I used to, things have come a long way.
  • reasareasa Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 8010Members, Constellation
    It is a bit worrisome that if Steam went down, or they had some screw up, i basically lose all my games, even most games I can play offline won't work since Steams "offline" mode is a joke.

I like Steam and what they have done, but don’t become a fanboy. They are a company like any other and they will squeeze you with an iron fist for basically no reason if they think it will make them a buck or saving them losing a cent.

Always remain wary, even of things you like, and those things are more likely to stay likeable.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I really have no complaints against Steam (except for their way-too-tempting steam sales), but I wouldn't mind seeing more studios releasing their games on something like <a href="http://www.desura.com/games" target="_blank">Desura</a> or <a href="http://www.stardock.com/" target="_blank">Stardock</a>. If nothing else, it would help keep Valve honest with steam if there were viable distribution platforms for Indies.