Votekick needed to fight Troll Commanders

nauwranauwra Join Date: 2008-05-04 Member: 64210Members
It's starting to get out of hand. We have instances of people stealing names of an active player, and convincing everyone that the innocent player is actually responsible for recycling/wasting resources.

There are mods designed to allow players to use the kick command. Most servers are running without admins at the moment, and a console command introduced with the next patch would go a long way in preventing servers from being ruined by one person.

Comments

• GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    You can vote eject troll commanders by holding X and clicking the top option on the pinwheel that pops up.

As for vote kick from servers? That sounds prime for abuse.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    You can't just take an active players name. If I changed my name to nauwra it would show as nauwra(2)
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    name "nauwra "

will probably work
  • nauwranauwra Join Date: 2008-05-04 Member: 64210Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2035399:date=Nov 27 2012, 12:53 AM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Nov 27 2012, 12:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035399"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can vote eject troll commanders by holding X and clicking the top option on the pinwheel that pops up.

As for vote kick from servers? That sounds prime for abuse.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Let's say player T (the troll) is a marine player while player S is commanding (innocent, well-meaning pubbie).

T gets in the comm chair and recycles/wastes res and subsequently ruins the game. Everyone is raging in chat and voice.

<next round>

S gets into the comm chair and goes about his business, while T changes his name to something very similary to S, and proceeds to spam voice/chat that "S is doing xxx, kick him!". T then hops in the chair, ruining the game for all involved; next map the same is repeated.

I've seen the above happen twice. Kicking from server with a majority (visible f1/f2 popup-style vote) would be ideal from my perspective.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    There's a community made mod called <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=99938680&searchtext=dak" target="_blank">DAK Admin Kit</a>

Suggest your server admins install it. Can be done to bypass the whitelist and still work.
  • Mister BlackMister Black Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173201Members
    I must be lucky because even at near 100 hours of NS2 I've never seen a troll comm
  • SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    cant say ive seen a troll comm either. Plus its not like there arent enough servers to join instead.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    The internet is full of people with very small private parts who arnt loved by their parents who feel the need to pass their misery onto others.

Take name, block them on steam, wish them a painful death and move on safe in the knowledge that your a better human being. x
  • Jarl Ballin'Jarl Ballin' Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173203Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2035399:date=Nov 26 2012, 03:53 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Nov 26 2012, 03:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035399"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can vote eject troll commanders by holding X and clicking the top option on the pinwheel that pops up.

As for vote kick from servers? That sounds prime for abuse.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You don't get it. What's happening is the person has the exact identical name as the other. Says he's a noob or whatever reason to get him ejected. Because it hardly takes any votes to eject the legitimate person gets ejected. The imposter hops in the chair and sells everything. Therefore ruining the game in it's entirety. It's a real problem.

<!--quoteo(post=2035404:date=Nov 26 2012, 03:59 PM:name=james888)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (james888 @ Nov 26 2012, 03:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035404"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can't just take an active players name. If I changed my name to nauwra it would show as nauwra(2)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes you can. NS2 Isn't running off of the same engine as CS. It uses a nickname system and doesn't integrate your steam name. All you have to do is go into options and change your nickname to whatever you want. It allows for double names.
  • Jarl Ballin'Jarl Ballin' Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173203Members
    edited November 2012
    Double post. Please remove.
  • HivelordHivelord Join Date: 2003-06-21 Member: 17567Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    A real troll story... myself as alien comm saving up early game res for onos egg (built three hives right away). The moment 3rd hive goes up I drop an onos egg. Someone goes onos, and then just quits the game. Onos egg is gone, and were then down by two players. Good times.
  • MangoMango Join Date: 2012-10-11 Member: 162061Members
    edited November 2012
    One thing should happen since COMM's is pretty much the backbone of any game is when a COMM player gets kicked from COMM so many times that person won't be able to COMM for a certain amount of time. So, if he/she gets kicked from the COMM chair more than 5 times he/she won't be able to comm for 4 days, and so on. That is just a example, but not sure if this can even be implemented to every server.
  • ViglanteViglante Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168608Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2035681:date=Nov 27 2012, 10:21 AM:name=Hivelord)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hivelord @ Nov 27 2012, 10:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035681"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A real troll story... myself as alien comm saving up early game res for onos egg (built three hives right away). The moment 3rd hive goes up I drop an onos egg. Someone goes onos, and then just quits the game. Onos egg is gone, and were then down by two players. Good times.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

had someone who was already an onos... take and onos egg~! i guess they wanted different chamber upgrades
  • ClonesaClonesa Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143691Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2035404:date=Nov 26 2012, 07:59 PM:name=james888)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (james888 @ Nov 26 2012, 07:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035404"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can't just take an active players name. If I changed my name to nauwra it would show as nauwra(2)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    False, I've witnessed this myself.
  • Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members
    Marines can also trolling the commander. One month ago, there was a guy who starts "calling for medpack" from the first second, nonstop, the entire game. I wasent able to react on real requests.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2035684:date=Nov 27 2012, 12:25 PM:name=Mango)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mango @ Nov 27 2012, 12:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035684"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One thing should happen since COMM's is pretty much the backbone of any game is when a COMM player gets kicked from COMM so many times that person won't be able to COMM for a certain amount of time. So, if he/she gets kicked from the COMM chair more than 5 times he/she won't be able to comm for 4 days, and so on. That is just a example, but not sure if this can even be implemented to every server.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That would lead to only more abuse. On small servers you would only need a small group of bored friends that just "ban" comm over comm...

I have seen such groups being horrible commanders and griefing the team and as soon as another person gets into the cc at round start they just vote him out or spamm "vote the comm he is useless" and get in themselfs. We need servers that allow only beta players and good admins :P
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=2035399:date=Nov 27 2012, 02:53 AM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Nov 27 2012, 02:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035399"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As for vote kick from servers? That sounds prime for abuse.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

GODS! Face it already, if the entire server is full of trolls, THE CEREALS ARE ALREADY ON THE FLOOR! CAT IS LICKING OFF THE MILK! ALL IS LOST! Get a new bowl.

It's no reason not to have a system designed for kicking ONE troll, which is btw 3213124 times more likely an occurrence than an entire server full of trolls.

Voteban with a 1 hour ban is needed as default.

DISCLAIMER: It's not a huge problem, since NS2 is not a LOLFRAGZ game, and thus the reduced amount of trolls, but still, it's pretty sad all it takes is 1 troll to empty a server.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Vote Kick is not something that should be in the base game, or at least not enabled by default. Too abusable. In the vast majority of cases most people aren't aware of who is doing what, so either the vote fails or it passes based on blind "I guess he must be doing something wrong" logic, which is bad. Let servers handle their own administration. The game is already ruined anyway if a troll makes it into the comm chair so it hardly matters.