Legitimate Relocation in Refinery?

ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
<div class="IPBDescription">and not just a party trick</div>Lately I've been trying a new marine strategy on refinery, which is relocating to smelting at the start of the game. Its worked well so far, but I can't tell if its just a pointless party trick, or whether it actually has tactical merit.

So the way I see it, Flow Control is simply the worst room on the map. It is so bad its comical. The closest res node is in the Pipeworks tech point room, and even that is pretty damn far away. The next one in Transit, on the way to smelting, is miles away. Flow Control is also on the polar opposite side of the map to two very close together tech points, which the aliens always expand to rapidly.

So after a few games of playing form this terrible position, I decided that smelting looked far more attractive. Transit and conduit are both extremely close by, and its actually a very nice location to defend from, so long as you build away from the vent. Onos who get in struggle quite a bit to get out again afterwards. Furthermore, Turbine hive is a small jog away. Another very important reason for choosing smelting is its proximity to lava falls, or more specifically, the "room" to the right of lava falls. I say "room" because its more of an open area covered (vitally) by an overhang. From here you can shoot out double, and then cover it once you have taken it.

One down side is how open the other half of the map becomes once marines vacate Flow Control, but honestly, there's nothing over worth there anyway. An entire half of the map containing only 2 res nodes? Pathetic. Furthermore, after taking pipe the aliens are forced to then take Flow Control, which is even worse for aliens than it is for marines.

So what do you guys think? Potentially the first viable relocation target in NS2?

Comments

• AWhiteAWhite Join Date: 2007-07-26 Member: 61685Members
    On paper this sounds pretty tasty.

The only thing I hate about Flow is that stupid IP that ends up in the hallway toward Pipe. That harshes my feng shui.
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    Yes Refinery is just a pointless party trick.
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    Refinery is certainly the most frustrating map to play marines on. This isn't a half bad idea and something I might try out just for ###### and giggles to see how it goes. Personally I stress Pipeline first, for it's proximity to their start hive and lava falls, being able to pressure and kill that off can help, but smelting certainly has its benefits as well and generally easier to hold and defend.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    Unlike Crossroads, Flow Control isn't an isolated corner of the map that is rarely checked. The odds of pulling this off against competent opponents without being discovered and murdered halfway through seem too low for the return; it's much more profitable to simply pick up phase tech early enough to make Flow a 2nd base.

I'm sure it works in pubs all the time, but I see too many vulnerabilities with too little of a reward for this strategy to be worth it at all skill levels.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2035221:date=Nov 26 2012, 09:14 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Nov 26 2012, 09:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035221"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Unlike Crossroads, Flow Control isn't an isolated corner of the map that is rarely checked. The odds of pulling this off against competent opponents without being discovered and murdered halfway through seem too low for the return; it's much more profitable to simply pick up phase tech early enough to make Flow a 2nd base.

I'm sure it works in pubs all the time, but I see too many vulnerabilities with too little of a reward for this strategy to be worth it at all skill levels.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ye, the problem with their being so few relocations is that, if it ever were to become a popular strategy, it would be too easily countered. At least in NS1, you would never knew where the marines were relocating too, because there were so many options. Aah well, I'll enjoy it while few people expect it.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2012
    What does "relocating" even mean?

I don't get why some people have a concept of a "base" in this, or any other RTS game. You don't have a base. You have an "area of control." Sure, you start in a position, and usually most important tech ends up in that starting position, or in a position where you have an obs, so you can beacon and defend when needed, but a loss of an RT in conduit is just as bad as a loss of an RT in transit which is just as bad as a loss of an RT in flow control.

Phase gates make walking distances irrelevant.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2035290:date=Nov 26 2012, 11:27 PM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Nov 26 2012, 11:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035290"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What does "relocating" even mean?

I don't get why some people have a concept of a "base" in this, or any other RTS game. You don't have a base. You have an "area of control." Sure, you start in a position, and usually most important tech ends up in that starting position, or in a position where you have an obs, so you can beacon and defend when needed, but a loss of an RT in conduit is just as bad as a loss of an RT in transit which is just as bad as a loss of an RT in flow control.

Phase gates make walking distances irrelevant.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, and when your early game area of control overlaps three resource nodes instead of one, you are doing better.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2012
    To expand on the above, I think "relocating" (whatever it means?) is always a waste (except for it being funny I suppose). Why? Because you'll inevitably have to invest in useless tech for early game (a second chair) or sell some things at a loss to remake them in your other "base (lol?)." And it doesn't make sense to get useless tech for early game, or lose money for no reason.

Want to exert specific pressure on an area? Communicate to your team to go there.
    <!--quoteo(post=2035290:date=Nov 26 2012, 03:27 PM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Nov 26 2012, 03:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035290"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What does "relocating" even mean?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It means selling your base and building a CC+IPs somewhere else. Relocation to crossroads was often seen in competitive matches a year or so ago, but it's not as popular a strategy these days.
    edited November 2012
    Why would you do that? You waste ~10 t.res in recycling + building time early game (when it really matters) to accomplish a job that is equally well accomplished by making a phase gate there, which you will research and make regardless.
    Crossroads can hit almost every part of the map, and you can accomplish a quick relocation against teams that would never let you get a central Phase Gate down.
  • Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
    The problem with this thread, is that the balance of refinery is considered pretty poor, so you might be able to do a lot of different strats on it, and they might work but I don't think you'll be proving much by doing it :)
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    Not only is the map poorly balanced I think it has a really boring layout, it is a rectangle with a hallway in the middle.

Some of the rooms look really cool but it is going to need a lot of work to make it a good map.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2035307:date=Nov 26 2012, 02:53 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Nov 26 2012, 02:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035307"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Crossroads can hit almost every part of the map, and you can accomplish a quick relocation against teams that would never let you get a central Phase Gate down.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't quite get this, since if you can't keep a phase gate up, I don't see how you'd expect to build and keep an IP there.
  • GuspazGuspaz Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2862Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2035306:date=Nov 26 2012, 05:51 PM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Nov 26 2012, 05:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035306"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why would you do that? You waste ~10 t.res in recycling + building time early game (when it really matters) to accomplish a job that is equally well accomplished by making a phase gate there, which you will research and make regardless.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

For some context, NS1 only had fixed locations for alien hives. Marines always started with their comm chair in a fixed place, but could build comm chairs anywhere on the map. As such, a common marine strategy was to, immediately upon starting the match, build a comm chair somewhere else (anywhere else) on the map and recycle marine start. Because of the great amount of flexibility afforded by being able to build a comm chair absolutely anywhere, this was a perfectly viable strategy.

Marines would commonly relocate to one of the three alien hive locations. Aliens could not build a hive in marine start, and required the third hive for all their advanced abilities/lifeforms, so this was a pretty good tradeoff. Moving your starting location to one of the empty hive locations at the start of the game permanently prevented the aliens from getting Onos or Bile Bomb (IIRC that was a third hive ability?) or xenocide or acid rocket, etc. There could also be advantages to relocating to a map's double, and one room had a particularly notorious relocation known as "red room" ;)
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    I'm suprised the res between flow and smelting isn't moved 1 room closer to flow, this would enable the marines to (at range) protect the res from most attacks and give them that early 2nd res, considering most times Aliens cyst straight down to and can easily control double-res.

I don't find marines controlling double-res that often, which gives the edge in resources early on.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Before mineshaft was changed to what it is now. The marines would sometimes relocate to cave. This only worked if the aliens did not know you were doing it till after you did it.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    I don't really see the issue if you're marines and oyu can hold pipeworks and smelting it's pretty much a done deal. Even holding lava isn't that hard since it's a big open bridge you can shoot anything that comes down.
    <!--quoteo(post=2035354:date=Nov 26 2012, 04:52 PM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Nov 26 2012, 04:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035354"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't quite get this, since if you can't keep a phase gate up, I don't see how you'd expect to build and keep an IP there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Watch some old games and find out; it typically involves bullets and aggressive offensive movements.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    It seems a "party trick" in regard to the very real possibility that your marines get picked off on the way and your relocate just fails... Otherwise I think you're putting yourself in a viable position with this, where flow control isn't really viable.
  • GuspazGuspaz Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2862Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2035527:date=Nov 26 2012, 11:29 PM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Nov 26 2012, 11:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035527"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It seems a "party trick" in regard to the very real possibility that your marines get picked off on the way and your relocate just fails... Otherwise I think you're putting yourself in a viable position with this, where flow control isn't really viable.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, if you're talking about competitive play, you can drill it to make the move in the least amount of time possible in the most defensible way possible, reducing the chance that being spotted would completely kill your relocation, but such strategies are always a gamble. I mean, we've seen skulk rushes work in tournament play, and that's a hell of a gamble, because if the gambit fails, it tends to leave the marines in a stronger position.
  • TroubleshooterTroubleshooter Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171559Members
    It seems that you're spending money to make money, and by that I mean you are going to wind up losing so much time and T-res in the relocate that you would have been better off investing in some sort of tech. Not to mention having to buy an early CC (that does nothing until you move the IP's to it) while risking the total loss of the one in flow to skulk harrass (which I do constantly on that map as an alien) in the process.

You will have to cede control of pipe and transit in the exchange while the aliens will have pocketed the RT's out to turbine as well.

The upside is that you can shoot effectively into lava from the smelting side and your southern approach from transit is actually defensible as marines which allows your really good focus on a northward push, but the delay in getting from cold start to momentum just seems crippling to me. No faster than fast phase IMO. Then again, I've not tried this, so I really cant say for sure... this is just my impression.

FWIW, I'm pretty convinced right now that heat sink is the key to victory for the marines. You can ez-siege containment from there with just a phase-gate, armory and forward robotics. The key problem is having enough resources to get the siege up properly, which means you're going to need to take/hold pipe and probably lava for a few minutes while you bank the res for it. So far, this really means you need to have forward pressure on pipe from the start with transit and smelting being "gimmies" as a result of keeping the aliens attention focused on their back door.

IMO, if you are going to relocate anywhere, it would be to pipe from the start as your obs there is more valuable and IP's there will keep your pressure on lava and heatsink constant without really giving up much by way of holding transit or smelting given the stupid long distances involved with those runs from flow anyway. At least checking on transit from pipe takes marines through lava which gives them the possibity of incidental contact with targets of interest rather than an isolated flow-transit route that takes a marine out of the fight and puts them in real danger of ambush with two blind 90 degree turns to worry about.

Also, the investment in relocating to pipe is lower as you can do it faster and keep the chair in flow until you are forced to sell it (since it's closer to the new marine spawn and aliens now have to move waaaay around the marine zone of control to hit it.
    <!--quoteo(post=2035531:date=Nov 26 2012, 09:36 PM:name=Guspaz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Guspaz @ Nov 26 2012, 09:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035531"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, if you're talking about competitive play, you can drill it to make the move in the least amount of time possible in the most defensible way possible, reducing the chance that being spotted would completely kill your relocation, but such strategies are always a gamble. I mean, we've seen skulk rushes work in tournament play, and that's a hell of a gamble, because if the gambit fails, it tends to leave the marines in a stronger position.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It doesn't matter how quickly you move; every enemy team will move through Flow Control as they sweep the map, so the only way for you to pull off a relocation is to play as normal until the opening-match scouting ends. By that point, you could just have PGs up.
  • Mister BlackMister Black Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173201Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2035358:date=Nov 26 2012, 05:58 PM:name=Guspaz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Guspaz @ Nov 26 2012, 05:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035358"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Gorge 3 hive ability was web.

Really miss the marine ability to relocate wherever they wanted. Nanogrid reloc FTW
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    I can't play refinery. Anytime I enter lava falls, my FPS drop to 10, because of the ######load of models (1000! Srsly?) are placed there. :(