Make the guns LOUD!

2»

Comments

• -Diesel--Diesel- Join Date: 2009-09-13 Member: 68769Members
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1731215:date=Oct 7 2009, 06:33 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Oct 7 2009, 06:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731215"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can't make guns louder than the speakers, how loud a gun is will depend on your speakers, in those videos it depends on the microphone, microphones and speakers never capture things properly unless you have ridiculously expensive ones and careful preparations.

You can give them different amounts of bass, different after-effects, different components (metallic clinks, bullet cracks, all sorts of things) but you can't really make them louder.

Here for example: Same gun, two different sounds because of different environments and different mics:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f76wGxg3fzw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f76wGxg3fzw</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aANTsFVr4pA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aANTsFVr4pA</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ok, you guys are taking this too seriously.

By loud I mean the second video. Thats it. No weird ideas you guys are coming up with. Just don't make them sound lame.

Video one sounds boring, video 2 doesn't.
    I'm asking for video 2 from the developers.
  • corpsmancorpsman Join Date: 2004-04-17 Member: 27979Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    DEFINITELY! The smaller pistols and even the HMGs were OK, but the GL should give a real THUMP feeling/tone, and the HMG should really crack at your skull when being fired. Those two sounded like waterpistols... and I don't even know what that sounds like but when your right, your right. They sounded like toys in NS1 :(
  • simon kamakazisimon kamakazi Join Date: 2009-04-28 Member: 67296Members
    edited October 2009
    first time i heard a raw recording of real guns i was shocked at how whimpy they sound. as a rule, real guns never sound like they do in hollywood or in games. real guns sound like pop corn popping. at least thats how they record. for a game or film they are always heavyly processed.

one of my goals for NS2 is to make the guns feel powerfull and sound rewarding when u fire them, i think it goes without saying that for an FPS the guns should sound really mean. :)
  • RzrRzr Join Date: 2009-04-02 Member: 67002Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1732922:date=Oct 20 2009, 08:59 AM:name=simon kamakazi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (simon kamakazi @ Oct 20 2009, 08:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732922"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->first time i heard a raw recording of real guns i was shocked at how whimpy they sound. as a rule, real guns never sound like they do in hollywood or in games. real guns sound like pop corn popping. at least thats how they record. for a game or film they are always heavyly processed.

one of my goals for NS2 is to make the guns feel powerfull and sound rewarding when u fire them, i think it goes without saying that for an FPS the guns should sound really mean. :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Touché!
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1731279:date=Oct 7 2009, 07:13 PM:name=-Diesel-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (-Diesel- @ Oct 7 2009, 07:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731279"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ok, you guys are taking this too seriously.

By loud I mean the second video. Thats it. No weird ideas you guys are coming up with. Just don't make them sound lame.

Video one sounds boring, video 2 doesn't.
    I'm asking for video 2 from the developers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well that's not louder, it's just a different style, fair enough if you're asking for a different style but I'm not going to know that if you just ask them to make the guns 'loud' because you don't like guns that are 'quiet'. It has nothing to do with the volume, it's about what after effects and components you add to it to simulate it echoing off things or to reflect the mechanism of the gun. Fading cracks, metallic clinks, bass or tenor, all of these will help you describe what it is you want in greater detail.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1732922:date=Oct 20 2009, 11:59 AM:name=simon kamakazi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (simon kamakazi @ Oct 20 2009, 11:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732922"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->first time i heard a raw recording of real guns i was shocked at how whimpy they sound. as a rule, real guns never sound like they do in hollywood or in games. real guns sound like pop corn popping. at least thats how they record. for a game or film they are always heavyly processed.

one of my goals for NS2 is to make the guns feel powerfull and sound rewarding when u fire them, i think it goes without saying that for an FPS the guns should sound really mean. :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It would be cool if you could include some clearly recognizable weapon related sounds. Take DoD for example, the last shot in garand's clip makes the iconic metal click.
  • corpsmancorpsman Join Date: 2004-04-17 Member: 27979Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1732922:date=Oct 20 2009, 06:59 AM:name=simon kamakazi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (simon kamakazi @ Oct 20 2009, 06:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732922"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->first time i heard a raw recording of real guns i was shocked at how whimpy they sound. as a rule, real guns never sound like they do in hollywood or in games. real guns sound like pop corn popping. at least thats how they record. for a game or film they are always heavyly processed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have to ask what weapon was being fired. I was on the Kitty Hawk for 2 years standing Corpsman coverage when the GMs and officers would go to the fan tail and let loose, and there wasn't much "popcorn poppin." The M16s are not as "loud" as one might see in movies like HEAT, that's true, but some weapons are stinkin LOUD! Especially the deck mounted 50 cal and "tripod mounted small stuff." That's kinda why I figured it would depend on the type of weapon.

I shot an uzi and a few sub guns at a gun fair in Vegas and they really werent as loud, just difficulty to remain accurate for me, but some weapons are packed with "MR BOOMBASTICK"!
  • simon kamakazisimon kamakazi Join Date: 2009-04-28 Member: 67296Members
    yeh thats just the thing, guns are really loud, so when u shoot one it feels like there is alot of enery being expended there, and there is!, but when u record this, and play it back at a normal refrence level, ie turn it down so you dont go deaf they become like pop corn.
    explosions record the same way, they have a very short pereod of super high volume when they first detonate, the tail is much much quieter, so when u play this bak on your speakers it sounds like a little pop.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    Make the volume of guns a variable option. There. That appeases everyone.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1733222:date=Oct 21 2009, 05:17 PM:name=yourbonesakin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yourbonesakin @ Oct 21 2009, 05:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733222"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Make the volume of guns a variable option. There. That appeases everyone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It might cause problems when people hear them from different distances and some can hear the rest of the sounds through fire better.
  • -Klaus--Klaus- Join Date: 2008-11-14 Member: 65447Members
    Yes please <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTPz59y5538&feature=related" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTPz59y5538...feature=related</a>
    <!--quoteo(post=1733172:date=Oct 21 2009, 07:56 AM:name=simon kamakazi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (simon kamakazi @ Oct 21 2009, 07:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733172"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yeh thats just the thing, guns are really loud, so when u shoot one it feels like there is alot of enery being expended there, and there is!, but when u record this, and play it back at a normal refrence level, ie turn it down so you dont go deaf they become like pop corn.
    explosions record the same way, they have a very short pereod of super high volume when they first detonate, the tail is much much quieter, so when u play this bak on your speakers it sounds like a little pop.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Can we make... nano ears? hehe

-.-

Ah, I'm sorry, you make a great point. Plus if they were "too loud" it may have the effect of deafening ears that would *LIKE* to hear what the commander is asking, or hear the activity around the corner... Or, the person playing the game would have to turn down their speakers so the gun fire doesn't piss off roomates, but then they can't hear the rest of the game.

Something else to think about is this: SHOULD you be able to hear casual conversation or a skulk running by if you are cranking away with an HMG?

I like the post just above mine, where you can make that sound variable! That would sorta solve the problem, but then some might turn it all the way down as an exploit :( Maybe have a selection: "BIG guns _ normal guns _" hehe
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd prefer the realistic "pat pat pat pat" over the deafening "BAM BAM BAM BAM"

Besides, hearing is important in this game.
  • Cheezy104Cheezy104 Join Date: 2009-06-11 Member: 67792Members
    The HMG sounds really powerful and loud NS1.
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    HMG is already more than loud enough, and the annoying cacophony of all ns sounds makes me want to turn my volumes off.

Yes, in real life, guns, not to mention artillery, are <i>very</i> loud and require ear protection, but games and meant to be enjoyable, not to make you deaf.
  • UnknownUnknown Join Date: 1970-01-01 Member:
    I agree to this as well.
    A good example for loud, hammering weapons is heat: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONHHdjyyVHo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONHHdjyyVHo</a>

Without these loud gun sounds this scene wouldn't be as immersive as it is now.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1729011:date=Sep 27 2009, 02:16 AM:name=-Diesel-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (-Diesel- @ Sep 27 2009, 02:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1729011"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You know what sucks? When there are weapons in FPS games that are <u>quiet and whimpy</u>.

All you hear is "pfft pfft pfft"

For example check this gun out: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHgtouYmzs8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHgtouYmzs8</a>

O my god! Is that really a shotgun? Because it sounds like my grandma farting.

Now look at this: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpdE_4dIoNc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpdE_4dIoNc</a>

Very nice, now thats what I'm talking about. More BANG BANG BANG BOOM and less Pfft pffpt fpfptf

Think about it... it makes sense. The game is always <b>indoors</b>... inside spaceships and colones... etc etc. And if you ever shot a gun or seen somebody shoot a gun inside a indoor shooting range... IT IS LOUD, and they wear hearing protection, because it is LOUD.

The people who play NS2 are badass, so the guns better be up to the task of being bad ass also.
    If the guns are some wimpy crappy silent thing... it would seriously make the game suck! Yes it's that important.

(This is what the minigun should sound like.... ok maybe not THIS loud.)
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sALiuWg_I1k&feature=related" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sALiuWg_I1k...feature=related</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Dude no, i don't want headache after playing a Game!
    Like for all other games i will release a softweapons pack then :P
    I hate the sound of some weapons, the Hmg in NS1 was way to loud, i can't say a damn word if im firing...its a game not real life.#
    If a grenade explodes near you or a gun is fired, you can't hear very well anymore.
    In closed rooms its very hard.
  • LoeyLoey Join Date: 2009-10-31 Member: 69187Members
    the issue shouldnt be the volume but the pitch. high pitched gun shots dont sound as tough as drawn out low pitched shots. the sounds from ns1 seem to match the weapons. small calibre lmg sounds pretty weak just like the weapon, larger calibre hmg sounds fairly powerful.

<!--quoteo(post=1731831:date=Oct 13 2009, 05:58 AM:name=corpsman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (corpsman @ Oct 13 2009, 05:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731831"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->DEFINITELY! The smaller pistols and even the HMGs were OK, but the GL should give a real THUMP feeling/tone, and the HMG should really crack at your skull when being fired. Those two sounded like waterpistols... and I don't even know what that sounds like but when your right, your right. They sounded like toys in NS1 :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    surprisingly grenade launchers make a short crack sound not a thump
  • digzdigz be still, maggot Join Date: 2002-05-07 Member: 588Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I think what's missing is the Atmospheric "echo" of gun fire. I'd like to be hearing the distant battle (most likely simulated) half across the map, and I believe it would bring the emersion factor way up especially in a map mostly of enclosed corridors. It's something I noticed in Halo3 where you heard the faint sounds of other players fire fights and it didn't take away from your situational awareness.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    I like how the response to a suggestion to "make guns sound more beefy" is "OMG BUT I DONT WANT 130 Db GUNSHOTS WTF".

Way to jump to extremes, people.
  • DoppyDoppy Join Date: 2006-11-15 Member: 58624Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I hope the guns are loud for the sake of being able to hear them easily through walls.

Example: Sound plays a big part in Day of Defeat: Source. Being able to hear gun shots and voice commands of the other team helps tremendously.
  • nanoViralnanoViral Join Date: 2012-01-30 Member: 142744Members
    The guns need to be louder, there needs to be a muzzleflash that strobes the surrounding area, and ricochets need to be added (purely cosmetic).
  • MedleyMedley Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 167929Members
    As mostly Alien player, I can only support this effort. Loud guns are great, because no matter where on the map you are, your position is INSTANTLY revealed to each and every alien lifeform! :D
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2038127:date=Nov 30 2012, 11:45 PM:name=Medley)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Medley @ Nov 30 2012, 11:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038127"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As mostly Alien player, I can only support this effort. Loud guns are great, because no matter where on the map you are, your position is INSTANTLY revealed to each and every alien lifeform! :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    When you pull the trigger... They will come!
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Reason guns are quiet.
    NANITES.
  • KuistiKuisti Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165787Members
    I play NS2 with quite a big bass boost on. It really adds a nice kick to the weapons.
    Sound Blaster X-fi. You can select dB level and the cutoff rate how low/high sounds are amplified. I have also amplified low freq sounds from the EQ.

Using sound settings in normal mode and my specially adjusted NS2 mode makes a big difference ;)
    Even onos stomp is like a big boom and because I have set the cutoff freq to quite low it doesn't make medium/light sounds boombastick.
  • RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1735930:date=Nov 4 2009, 06:44 AM:name=Doppy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Doppy @ Nov 4 2009, 06:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735930"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=2038087:date=Dec 1 2012, 08:19 AM:name=nanoViral)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nanoViral @ Dec 1 2012, 08:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038087"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<i>Epic</i> necro.