fungal growth (bile bomb)
force field (clog)
hallucination (hallucination)

etc.

why not take in some of the other stuff, such as:

stimpacks or neural parasite?

Comments

• RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    I wish clogs were as useful as a forcefield....
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    You really don't want aliens to be only viable with proper clog usage.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    I want banelings ( that work because xeno sure doesn't)
  • dissectiondissection Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 170914Members
    edited December 2012
    Neural parasite would be much fun.

Just think about playing as marine - and suddenly your controls dont work anymore - and you have to watch yourself shooting at your friends (while now friendly fire is suddenly on). Sounds kind of funny to me. Give it to Fade for example and immobilize him completely afterwards. Doesnt have to work on non biological targets. (Guess that doesnt work yet to the same reasons why first person spectating doesnt exist, though)

Stim would be a nice way to counter the Onos. You will die anyway so why not stim for increasing damage output and effiecient fleeing?
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited December 2012
    Why would your gun suddenly deal more damage or shoot faster than by default by injecting something into the marine? Or am I misreading you?
  • bHackbHack Join Date: 2010-03-23 Member: 71059Members
    edited December 2012
    Stimpack aka catalysts were in ns1. Commander could drop it same as medpack or ammo. Had to be researched. Cost 3 res per catalyst. No HP loss though.
    Now in NS2 catalysts were given to aliens with the name - enzyme.

btw, stimpack was increasing marine run speed and fire rate by 50%. No dmg increase.
  • TimariusTimarius Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171220Members
    edited December 2012
    Fun fact: Catalysts are still in the game files... they may make a comeback. I would hope not, however. That would completely break an Onos siege. Beacon, catalyst spam, instantly dead Onos.

EDIT: Now that I think about it... why would you ever buy an advanced weapon with catalysts around?
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=2040930:date=Dec 6 2012, 06:21 AM:name=dissection)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dissection @ Dec 6 2012, 06:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2040930"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->blink (blink)
    fungal growth (bile bomb)
    force field (clog)
    hallucination (hallucination)

etc.

stimpacks or neural parasite?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

None of these even line up... None of the NS2 abilities you've listed are used in the same way the SC2 abilities are used.
  • m0rdm0rd Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173223Members
    There are Catalyst Packs in the Combat mod so I don't understand why they aren't being used in the game. Unfortunately in the mod it's on a timer and is uncontrollable (only activates when you take damage once every 15 seconds or something like that).
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2041009:date=Dec 6 2012, 06:30 AM:name=CrushaK)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CrushaK @ Dec 6 2012, 06:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2041009"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why would your gun suddenly deal more damage or shoot faster than by default by injecting something into the marine? Or am I misreading you?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because its in Starcraft?

Why would an alien race have the ability to become completely invisible and how should that be possible? Why do Marines have Exosuits but not yet developed Nightvision technology and are stuck to Flashlights?

Or because the stimpacks contain nanobots that increase interaction with neurophysiological processes in the nervous system enabling a more effective coupling of visuo-motoric processes coupled to analytic data of alien anatomy, so to say higher aim for critical vulnerability spots such as internal organs at the alien = damage. The stimpacks also interact with the guns, unlocking a higher fire rate because the nanobots also can make the musco-skeletal system reflectorily sense and compensate recoil and gun inaccuracies much more efficient than the normal human nervous system would be capable of by itself - which was the initial reasoning for decreasing the fire rate of the guns in the first place.

The use of advanced nanobot technology doesnt come without a cost though, because manipulation of the central and peripheral nervous system by a foreign structure such as the nanobots will quickly cause a neuroinflammatory response that will damage the neural system over time. It is highly advisable therefore, that the nanobot stimpack will only be used shortly and only be used in cases of extreme danger.

Thats at least what i could come up with on the fly.

It doesnt matter. Its a game, man. And when we are talking about realism, we have to begin at the very game itself ;)

<!--quoteo(post=2041337:date=Dec 6 2012, 08:31 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Dec 6 2012, 08:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2041337"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->None of these even line up... None of the NS2 abilities you've listed are used in the same way the SC2 abilities are used.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because it still is a completely different game, that may be the reason. Just look at it - the creep, the creep tumors or marine base scan - evrything is there. This game obviously borrows its main inspirations from Starcraft, you cant deny that at all.
  • ArcL!ghtArcL!ght Join Date: 2007-11-27 Member: 63031Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=2040968:date=Dec 6 2012, 02:00 PM:name=Volcano)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Volcano @ Dec 6 2012, 02:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2040968"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I want banelings ( that work because xeno sure doesn't)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Heard of tier 3 hive ability called xenocide?
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    nah is this part of a dlc?
    <!--quoteo(post=2041425:date=Dec 7 2012, 05:10 AM:name=dissection)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dissection @ Dec 7 2012, 05:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2041425"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because it still is a completely different game, that may be the reason. Just look at it - the creep, the creep tumors or marine base scan - evrything is there. This game obviously borrows its main inspirations from Starcraft, you cant deny that at all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No. NS2 does not "borrow its main inspiration" from starcraft. I don't even know how you could possibly come to that conclusion. You've managed to list two abilities that on the surface resemble similar mechanics in SC2 yet are obviously greatly different in regards to their respective games. How about grenade launchers and lerks and gorges? How about alien commander vs marine commander. How about drifters and harvesters?

If you want certain things, that's fine. I think catalyst packs could be implemented in a decent way. I don't think neural parasite would be fun at all, though. Nobody wants to get trolled by a mindcontrol in a FPS game.
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2042341:date=Dec 9 2012, 03:45 AM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Dec 9 2012, 03:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2042341"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No. NS2 does not "borrow its main inspiration" from starcraft. I don't even know how you could possibly come to that conclusion. You've managed to list two abilities that on the surface resemble similar mechanics in SC2 yet are obviously greatly different in regards to their respective games. How about grenade launchers and lerks and gorges? How about alien commander vs marine commander. How about drifters and harvesters?

If you want certain things, that's fine. I think catalyst packs could be implemented in a decent way. I don't think neural parasite would be fun at all, though. Nobody wants to get trolled by a mindcontrol in a FPS game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wahahaha! XDDD Are you seriously denying any influences on this game by starcraft? I mean, seriously???? Hahahaha! Honestly, I am very sorry that this might insult your fanboy sense in a way - but it definetely is influenced by Stracraft. ;)
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I think Blizzard may have been inspired by NS when designing Banelings. There weren't exploding mutant Zerglings in SC when NS was released. :)

Stim pack is full of stimulants that increased marines' firing rate because it enhances their reflexes and aim. :D
    <!--quoteo(post=2042360:date=Dec 9 2012, 05:20 AM:name=twiliteblue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twiliteblue @ Dec 9 2012, 05:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2042360"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think Blizzard may have been inspired by NS when designing Banelings. There weren't exploding mutant Zerglings in SC when NS was released. :)

Stim pack is full of stimulants that increased marines' firing rate because it enhances their reflexes and aim. :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh that was in the first Natural Selection already? Maybe youre right ;)

P.S.: Of course they do. I have developed them.
  • BurdockBurdock Join Date: 2012-08-27 Member: 156553Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2040930:date=Dec 6 2012, 03:21 AM:name=dissection)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dissection @ Dec 6 2012, 03:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2040930"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->blink (blink) <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->What? One teleports you, and the other makes you fly+movefast<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    fungal growth (bile bomb) <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->So Fungal growth = all AoE??? Bile bomb does NOT stun(root), does NOT deal strait damage, and DOES do damage to building, AND is a projectile?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    force field (clog) <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->WTF?? No, just no, <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    hallucination (hallucination) <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Ok, I will give you this one :P <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

etc.

stimpacks or neural parasite?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2042351:date=Dec 9 2012, 06:41 AM:name=dissection)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dissection @ Dec 9 2012, 06:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2042351"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wahahaha! XDDD Are you seriously denying any influences on this game by starcraft? I mean, seriously???? Hahahaha! Honestly, I am very sorry that this might insult your fanboy sense in a way - but it definetely is influenced by Stracraft. ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If anything Natural Selection's main inspiration is the Alien movie franchise (mainly due to the marine weapon arsenal, art direction, vents, and a few other details like eggs).

You could compare pretty much anything with alien and human players to starcraft, especially considering this has an rts element. I doubt there is much to draw from in the franchise though. Starcraft is just easy to look at in comparison because it's the most popular game that features aliens and humans. It also has similar complexity (maybe moreso to ns1 than ns2 - as I don't find ns2 all that complex).

By far the biggest similarity is the inclusion of a small, fast, fragile meelee unit as the alien base class. But even then skulks don't work the same as zerglings. Skulks are all about wall walking, hiding, and sneaking which is hardly the way zerglings play in starcraft. And in terms of inspiration it really stops there (unless you want to compare all alien flying creatures from every game to a mutalisk, or any alien creature that is large and powerful to an ultralisk).

It's easy to call NS Starcraft-inspired because chances are you and a lot of people are coming from that game, and it is the biggest game of its type (i.e. that includes aliens, humans, and RTS). It's similarly easy to compare it to Alien like I have done (although I beleive the comparison is more fitting in this regard) but even then that's only because it's one of the biggest and first major movies of its type (that also includes Aliens and Humans duking it out). Chances are they didn't want to draw direct inspiration from ANYTHING, but was unavoidable due to the fact that people will always relate things to other things when they're similar, and if one thing comes first that's immediately considered 'inspiration'. Chances are they just wanted to make a Marine vs Alien game with rts elements, and as a result, it being compared to Starcraft was inevitable.
  • Bad MojoBad Mojo Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67317Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2040982:date=Dec 6 2012, 08:33 AM:name=dissection)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dissection @ Dec 6 2012, 08:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2040982"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Neural parasite would be much fun.

Just think about playing as marine - and suddenly your controls dont work anymore - and you have to watch yourself shooting at your friends (while now friendly fire is suddenly on). Sounds kind of funny to me. Give it to Fade for example and immobilize him completely afterwards. Doesnt have to work on non biological targets. (Guess that doesnt work yet to the same reasons why first person spectating doesnt exist, though)

Stim would be a nice way to counter the Onos. You will die anyway so why not stim for increasing damage output and effiecient fleeing?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You really think that would be fun?

The fact of the matter is, people generally don't like to have control of their player taken away from them. That is the main counter argument for giving Onos devour in NS2.
    <!--quoteo(post=2042351:date=Dec 9 2012, 06:41 AM:name=dissection)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dissection @ Dec 9 2012, 06:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2042351"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wahahaha! XDDD Are you seriously denying any influences on this game by starcraft? I mean, seriously???? Hahahaha! Honestly, I am very sorry that this might insult your fanboy sense in a way - but it definetely is influenced by Stracraft. ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That is a dumb post.