How about sound? (Alien side)

TharidorTharidor Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165130Members
edited December 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">Adding a extra interaction button for the Alien Commander.</div>Hello ladies and gents, this is going to be my very first suggetion on a new feature for this game.
I'll begin with putting forward my idea and my reasons behind it, so here goes.

My idea features the use of sound, since we all can probably agree that listening out for sounds is important when playing as a marine -
Because otherwise Alien lifeforms will be able to sneak up on you and bite you from behind, especially if you're blasting music in your headphones.

Now personally I've felt that the Alien Commander is lacking in the "interaction" department and so do alot of other people. So I sat down thinking "What could be useful for the Alien Commander but not too powerful" - and I came up with the idea to create sound, for the cost of a small amount of resources.

I've always felt that the Shade hive hasn't given the players enough of a boost to be good enough and what else can you add to this branch without making it too powerful?
Now to illustrate my idea ->

Imagine yourself that you're playing on the map "Veil" and there are two Marines that have just managed to get down to Pipeline. There is one skulk on his way to deal with them but he could use abit of help, and as far as the Shade hive goes, there aren't many things you can use. We all know about Bonewall and Enzym cloud, but they aren't apart of any tech-tree. So picture yourself the ability now as the Commander, to create sound. Now my idea is that you can choose any lifeform sounds that are in the game, such as "a skulk walking around on the floor" - Since that makes alot of sound itself and is pretty easy to catch on. Now imagine yourself picking the skulk sound and placing in the vent near Pipeline, so now the marines are hearing a skulk sound in the vent, and their first reaction will probably be "lets cover the vent, because there is a skulk in there"

This will alert the marines to danger but since you're the one behind the sound, there really isn't a skulk in the vent at all, the real threat is from the other one that was on his way to Pipeline. This can give the real skulk the ability to sneak up on the marines that are focused on the vents, thinking there might be a skulk in there. The end result is that it has the ability to tip the balance in the favour of the lone skulk against the two marines, but it wont be too powerful to make things imbalanced for anyone.

Especially considering that the "scan" ability of the Marine Commander can detect life-forms and if the Marine Commander is a good commander, then he can simply quickly scan the vents and if there aren't any life-forms in there, then the marines will know that its just a false alarm created by the Alien Commander.

My reasons are simple. I personally belive that the deception tree is lacking and that the Alien Commander is lacking the abilities to interact with his life-forms.
Does anyone else feel that this might be a good idea as a new feature for this game?

Let me know what you guys think!

Comments

• fracofraco Join Date: 2012-11-27 Member: 173443Members
    This is a great idea! i would love to see this.
    I just wonder how the alien commander would be able to use it.
    I mean there is many alien species and each of them can produce many different sound.
    You have to consider the length too. Should you select exactly how long the sound will be difused each time you use one?

I think it would be enough if you can only put a skulk's step sound or chew sound.
  • TharidorTharidor Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165130Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2042868:date=Dec 10 2012, 11:22 AM:name=fraco)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fraco @ Dec 10 2012, 11:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2042868"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is a great idea! i would love to see this.
    I just wonder how the alien commander would be able to use it.
    I mean there is many alien species and each of them can produce many different sound.
    You have to consider the length too. Should you select exactly how long the sound will be difused each time you use one?

I think it would be enough if you can only put a skulk's step sound or chew sound.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was thinking in the back of my mind, about a 4second duration, tops. It doesn't need to be longer due to the fact that Aliens can sneak.
    Also the idea was to just conjure up walking sounds as you mentioned. For example: The onos is pretty easy to hear and has a very instinktiv walking sound, same with the skulk.
    I would belive that each sound-wave should cost 2 resources for the alien commander, with a 5second cooldown.

The way it would be used is by clicking on the different life-form incons in the menu, example: Skulk icon to produce skulk walking sounds.
    In my mind you'd get a small skulk modul to place anywhere on the map, and once its been placed, the sound of that life-form you picked will start making noise for 4seconds and then disappear.

The lerk and the fade is abit trickier due to the fact that they usually dont "walk around" - so the sound of a fade shadow-stepping would suffice I belive.
    For the lerk it could be the sound of a lerk flapping its wings. I'm still abit unclear on the fade/lerk sounds, but the onos is pretty straight forward, same with the skulk and gorge.

Edit: Anything to further improve the idea is always welcome, within reasons ofcourse, such as adding extra effect (If you place the icon ontop of a powernode, you can make it so that it sounds like a skulk chewing on a power-node) <- although this might be alot harder to code.
  • WildChickenWildChicken Join Date: 2004-08-25 Member: 30891Members, Constellation
    I like this! No comments on implementation, but +1 from the Chicken.