[Video] - 5 Gorge Tricks. . .

MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
edited December 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
Discovered these while making my <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvux28_gorge-trick-shots-docking_videogames" target="_blank">latest</a> <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=125520&st=0" target="_blank">Trick Shot Video</a>. . .

Some may likely get nerfed or fixed depending on how you look at it, but they definitely worth checking out:
<a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvuzd6_5-gorge-tricks_videogames#.UMjslMW5CM_" target="_blank">http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvuzd6_5-...es#.UMjslMW5CM_</a>

Since there won't be any gorge plushies this year I figure more people playing gorge might be as good as it gets

/Enjoy

-

Comments

• mibuwolfmibuwolf Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174760Members
  • TimariusTimarius Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171220Members
    edited December 2012
    Yeah, those chest high walls worked real well, until I chased you down with a flamethrower.

I've done a lot of obstacle courses in FPS games in my day. Strafe through them!

But the clog bunker definitely made my day. If they fix Gorge spit, that will definitely be broken.

EDIT: For reference, I was cackling maniacally while chasing you down.
  • Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
    watched this expecting it to be full of stupid stuff with out much practical use.

I am surprised to say several of these things are probably very useful. The clog ramp to speed up belly slides is pretty clever.

I bet the hiding in clogs technique shown at the end will be removed :)
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    I really hope clog ramps are preserved. That's a REALLY cool little addition to gorge play that makes sense as soon as you see it, but is still hard to master.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    <u><b>Swiftspear:</b></u>

The ramps are actually what I'm most excited about
    They let you Battle Gorge against some of the best players and unless a cooldown is added to clogs that gameplay will be here to stay
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Seeing the entire vid, I actually like some of those mechanics a lot, like bellysliding off the clogs. Bunker is fine too. However, I'm not fond of gorges hiding 'inside' the clogs. That's unintentional and perhaps even a bit of an exploit (relatively harmless, though, as it can be countered).

I guess climbing things with the clogs is not intended either, but I have nothing against it, as long as gorges stay inside the map. ;)
  • SoulfighterSoulfighter Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167432Members
    edited December 2012
    clog ramps are cool, never thought of that, that's a really cool thing to do. I'm not a fan of the the part with the hydras at landing pad, a marine who wouldn't miss you on purpose could easly kill you :)

cool vid though, make more.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I guess climbing things with the clogs is not intended either<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

climbing with clogs is pretty much a given for anyone who regulary play video games :) i'm pretty sure the dev thought of that lol.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2044936:date=Dec 13 2012, 02:49 PM:name=Soulfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soulfighter @ Dec 13 2012, 02:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2044936"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->climbing with clogs is pretty much a given for anyone who regulary play video games :) i'm pretty sure the dev thought of that lol.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Might be, but I never actually heard/read it being discussed. I actually like the gameplay it adds though, so I'm all for it.
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2044935:date=Dec 13 2012, 01:48 PM:name=Angelusz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Angelusz @ Dec 13 2012, 01:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2044935"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I guess climbing things with the clogs is not intended either, but I have nothing against it, as long as gorges stay inside the map. ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think it's intended...I've seen Hugh use it himself in one of his YT vids, and he clearly loved it! :P
    <!--quoteo(post=2044990:date=Dec 13 2012, 10:23 AM:name=Paajtor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Paajtor @ Dec 13 2012, 10:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2044990"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it's intended...I've seen Hugh use it himself in one of his YT vids, and he clearly loved it! :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't think it's directly intended as much as it is an innate consequence of a tool we're given to play with that isn't harmful enough to restrict. In NS1 it wasn't clog walls, but it was skulk boosting. The clog was put into the game to let players build clog walls and defend areas primarily, but most of these added effects just aren't so bad a thing they need to be removed. Some of them are really really cool actually, even if they may need a little more balancing at some point.
    <!--quoteo(post=2044936:date=Dec 13 2012, 07:49 AM:name=Soulfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soulfighter @ Dec 13 2012, 07:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2044936"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->clog ramps are cool, never thought of that, that's a really cool thing to do. I'm not a fan of the the part with the hydras at landing pad, a marine who wouldn't miss you on purpose could easly kill you :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The marine wasn't missing him on purpose. He was hiding in a clog, his hitbox could only be "hit" when his nose stuck out while firing. That's why we're saying clogs will likely have to be tweaked. It's like a gorge gains 250 hitpoints if he stands still. Paired with hydras that can be unfair.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think gorges are fine as they are, they could use a few more toys but all the mechanics seem to work well together. I really doubt a gorge hiding in a clog is going to cost someone the game.
    <!--quoteo(post=2045060:date=Dec 13 2012, 02:05 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Dec 13 2012, 02:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2045060"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think gorges are fine as they are, they could use a few more toys but all the mechanics seem to work well together. I really doubt a gorge hiding in a clog is going to cost someone the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Personally I'd prefer a small gorge HP nerf to pair with it to force it as a tactic a smart gorge will often have to use if they want to beat marines... However it might be an obscure enough tactic that it's preferable to just push the gorge out of the clog, or disallow building clogs inside your own hitbox instead. It will likely be overpowered if it's widely adopted. It basically means a gorge wins against a single marine in a gorge nest, absolutely anywhere on the map, and that is not supposed to be the case in the current balance. The gorge is supposed to have to run away.
  • Kama_BlueKama_Blue Join Date: 2012-03-13 Member: 148710Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2045064:date=Dec 13 2012, 11:09 AM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Dec 13 2012, 11:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2045064"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Personally I'd prefer a small gorge HP nerf to pair with it to force it as a tactic a smart gorge will often have to use if they want to beat marines... However it might be an obscure enough tactic that it's preferable to just push the gorge out of the clog, or disallow building clogs inside your own hitbox instead. It will likely be overpowered if it's widely adopted. It basically means a gorge wins against a single marine in a gorge nest, absolutely anywhere on the map, and that is not supposed to be the case in the current balance. The gorge is supposed to have to run away.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A gorge winning vs a single marine in a gorge nest should probably be a given.

Seriously, 3 Hydras + Spit should result in a marine dying every time, unless the marine kills the hydras or brings friends. Otherwise gorge is worthless.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited December 2012
    Oh god, why did you make this video. The devs are probably already jerking their knees, getting ready to nerf gorge in every way they possibly can.

Seriously though, if anybody's reading, by all means fix the hyrdra stacking and gorging inside a clog, put please please PLEASE don't impose any arbitrary cooldowns on clogs, or increase it's energy cost like it was before. The reduction in clog energy cost was needed, and a much welcome change for the gorge.

As for more gorge tricks, sometimes I just walk around with a clog ready to place so I can quickly place a 2-high clog barrier (like your ramp) right away if a marine comes round the corner. I'm also a fan of the suicide jump, where if I've got no hope of survival, I jump into a bottomless pit, try and aim for a wall, and place a clog at the last second (diagonally downwards, so I land on it). Hopefully the marines don't notice I haven't died. Hopefully one will jump in after me just to be funny (it's happened a few times before).

Another gorge trick - <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c8JxcPM1sM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c8JxcPM1sM</a>
    (credit to Elodea).

The above doesn't need to be done with one massive clog platform. You can even put the hydra's on a single clog, remove the clog and watch the hyrdas fall just by themselves.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    that's pretty freaking sweet.
  • SataniacSataniac Join Date: 2012-09-10 Member: 158862Members
    This will really add up to my gorge play, especially the ramp getaway! :D