Slow loading?

SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
<div class="IPBDescription">New steam option...</div>I know a number of people aren't aware of this, so I'll post it here. Valve quietly introduced a means to split your game installs over multiple drives. (although only ONE directory on each drive)

This means if you have an SSD drive with you OS on it, you can put a few select games on that drive and have the benefit of that increased performance, without needing a 500GB+ size SSD to hold all your other Steam titles.

Sadly this is only an option when you INSTALL the game, so you will need to uninstall NS2 and then reinstall. When you reinstall you will see the option to install the game onto another drive. (Make sure to create a new directory before you do the install)

Anyway, just a tip to help people with performance a bit.

Comments

• TripleZeroTripleZero Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167764Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2012
    yeah ive been telling that my friends too, but it didnt really make a difference performancewise, loading time depends alot on the server for me, some are slow some are fast, im usually one of the first who finishes loading though.

That option is available since atleast a month but you had to participate in the steam beta client, im unsure whether thats still the case.
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    I didn't know this. Thanks.
  • KazterKazter Join Date: 2003-08-12 Member: 19481Members, Constellation
    I just noticed this the other day as well, but I already had NS2 on my SSD. Honestly, I noticed that some of the performance "enhancements" actually increased the loading times for me in 233. I could load a map on a fast server within seconds in 232, now it always takes about 30 seconds.
  • -FLH--FLH- Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168077Members
    Helped me loads and as said in other thread you can backup then restore to a different drive :)
  • UruktosUruktos Join Date: 2012-10-12 Member: 162139Members
    If you don't have an SSD and/or have 12GB+ RAM, you can use RAM Drive as the install directory. Actually, I might try this when I get back home.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Got SSD but never used it. Not much of an investment was it... Doesn't improve performance fps wise, and I couldn't care less whether I spend 30sec loading the game or 20. I'll just do something else while I wait. Like fidget. Pick my nose maybe.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2012
    You can simply copy NS2 to another Drive and start NS2.exe from there though...
  • gnoarchgnoarch Join Date: 2012-08-29 Member: 156802Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I strongly recommend to install NS to a SSD

For me the loading time for first game decreased from >1 minute to 15-20 sec.

Before I also had strange mirco lags when certain sounds/models appeared for the fist time. This is also gone now.
  • KatsuyukiKatsuyuki Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174934Members
    You could actually do this before Steam implemented the option using Symbolic Links. You could also use a program like Steam Mover to automatically create these symbolic links and move your files for you so that you don't need to reinstall NS2 or whatever else game you wish to move.