VERY on-the-fence about this game.

DTsoy7DTsoy7 Join Date: 2012-12-17 Member: 175368Members
I'm extremely on the fence about this game. The problem is that I don't have much money but I would definitely buy NS2 if it weren't for ONE issue...

Why is the player count so freakin' low? There are at MOST 2,000 people playing at once. From an outsider's point of view, the game certainly looks like it's dying...

Of course I can't judge because I haven't actually played it. What do you guys think? Does it feel like it's dying or is the community small but stable?

Comments

• killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Small but stable, its a great game you should buy it.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited December 2012
    Where do you live. I live east coast in the U.S and always find games. It seems west coast is chock full of them as well. But srsly this game is great. I'm glad I tried it out because it's all I play these days. Also, what are your PC Specs?
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    You haven't even played it, NS2 is no generic huge battlefield fight-scene simulator, it's a stragic FPS. It's built around lower player counts. 2000 players is top 50 on steam, out of the huge amount of actual low playerbase games it's not one of them. It helps to do some research about this before asking.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The core community has been around for 10 years and is very loyal, so there's no risk of the game dying. You'll get your money's worth one way or another. It remains to be seen what effect future updates will have on the population - they're planning to continue development for a long time and there's still plenty of opportunity to bring people back with Steam sales and the like.

That said if you're really tight on money, it wouldn't kill you to wait for a few more patches. Particularly if performance is a concern for you.
  • NolSinklerNolSinkler On the Clorf Join Date: 2004-02-15 Member: 26560Members, Constellation
    Small, stable community.

Game is awesome.
  • DwavenhobbleDwavenhobble Join Date: 2012-12-14 Member: 175044Members
    Actually its been shown by SMNC that you can sustain nearly enough players to be able to get matches most times with a consistent 250 players. so a consistent 2,500 is almost certain of a match.

You have to also account for how different games report their player figures. Consistent figures will be low because people aren't always playing. so while COD could report they have 1 million players, that could have been 1 million players over the course of a week and with people not playing consistently it could mean the true population is only 2,500 at any one point (it probabaly isn't but it could be).

At present NS2 has more than enough population to allow it to keep going and you shouldn't be put off by low figures like this as its still enough people to populate the game and when you only need 24 to fill a server its not a problem to get games.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    2000 players is small? If you restrict yourself to playing only online multiplayer games with tens of thousands of players, then you'll be stuck with COD, TF2, and Dota2.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    <u><b>DTsoy7:</b></u>

If price is an issue there might still be a few alpha / early beta testers that have a free gift copy of the game

Just check the forum rules before you ask nicely; I'd hate to see you get banned for some BS like begging
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    most honest answer you get is, wait longer for this game to get polished out. performance isn't good at all, and gameplay needs major work. If you enjoy the current gameplay, you might enjoy it but currently performance is the biggest problem with this game.

people enjoy saying lots of positive things about this game, and love to ignore all the bad things.
  • Brad_RBrad_R pandas | brad Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8273Members, Constellation
    Just buy Farcry3 instead.
  • DysfunctionalDysfunctional Join Date: 2003-06-06 Member: 17055Members
    2000 players, of which, only 12-24 are on any given server. The game is far from dying, or dead. People come and go, it's just the nature of the game.

There isn't anything in game to keep people constantly playing. There's nothing to grind or work towards outside of personal aiming skill.

This game is the type you play just for fun unless you're serious about it, then you play to improve and get into the competitive scene.

If you need that carrot on a stick to keep you playing, this game isn't for you.
  • TunskaTunska Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14176Members
    If there is ever a time to play NS2, it's now.
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    This game is some of the most fun I've had in FPS games, aside from NS1. I always come back for more and play to the end of matches even if I already know my team is going to lose. The combat is addicting and you have those magical moments where you're just immersed in the experience. Things start off quite rough at first, even if you're a NS1 vet. But given enough time to learn NS2, you'll have a blast.

Granted, you'll need a good CPU to run this game smoothly, which will make or break players' first impressions. Optimization has come a long way compared to earlier beta builds and there's still a lot of room for improvement. Likewise concerning balance. There are quite a few servers that are full or nearly full throughout the day, though. I'd give you my NS2 gift copy if I still had it, but maybe another kind soul would be willing.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2047310:date=Dec 17 2012, 06:24 PM:name=Brad_R)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brad_R @ Dec 17 2012, 06:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047310"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just buy Farcry3 instead.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Worst advice ever.

Also you should post your PC specs before a sure recommendation is made.
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    I played Dystopia for years with a playerbase at any given moment of about 90-150. Alot of other mods I've played had the same playerbase.

OP does not understand what a small playerbase is. Also in a game this intricate and with so much to learn you have smaller base because many people will bounce off of the complexity and go play something else.
  • LilbitHeartlessLilbitHeartless Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172517Members
    If I'm ever uncertain about buying a game I look for some streams of it, I'd recommend that. If your only concern is player count many people posting before me have explain no reason for that worry. I myself am not the sort of person to want to wait until a game gets 'polished out' I love the journey and being a part of it! I bet NS1 players were happy to be a part of NS1 while it changed.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    dun buy until free weekends.
  • billetbillet Join Date: 2012-10-02 Member: 161318Members
    IF you want proof of how fun it is, check my YOUTUBE - RAGE NATION NS2. Dedicated to NS2, I have come from BF3, TF2, L4D and I only play NS2 now. I am an old school NS1 player though....
    Best fun you can have with your pants on!
  • DustehDusteh Join Date: 2011-07-25 Member: 112142Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Regarding the small player count in comparison to other titles on Steam I can only put it down to the steep learning curve + relatively poor performance (which is improving with each patch).

You shouldn't let that put you off though. NS2 is an amazing game / experience with huge replayability and in my opinion blows its competitors out of the water. Stats mean nothing!

If you have a top end processor and decent graphics card you'd be silly not to try it.
  • hushus Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173206Members
    You only need 15 other people on a server to enjoy ns2 :)
  • TripleZeroTripleZero Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167764Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2047310:date=Dec 18 2012, 12:24 AM:name=Brad_R)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brad_R @ Dec 18 2012, 12:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047310"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just buy Farcry3 instead.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=2047326:date=Dec 18 2012, 12:56 AM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Dec 18 2012, 12:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047326"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Worst advice ever.

Also you should post your PC specs before a sure recommendation is made.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Urr, i believe he was being sarcastic?

Anyways, buy the game its great, a high player count has nothing to do with the actual quality, see CoD.

High player count - no quality. Well maybe it had some quality when modern warfare 1 came out but uhh that was a while ago...
  • SehzadeSehzade Join Date: 2010-12-29 Member: 76024Members
    edited December 2012
    game is alot of fun. has alot of issues, too.
    You will be able to play this game long enough to get your money worth it.

Think about a night out with teh boys.
    2-3hrs of fun (cinema and snacks) is the price of that game, which you can play as long as you want to.

but if you are not dieing to play this game...wait until the big content update next year.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    The total player count might be relatively low but getting to play with enough other people is not a problem.
  • gnoarchgnoarch Join Date: 2012-08-29 Member: 156802Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Actually a small playerbase has some benfits. You will more often meet players you know and the ###### fraction is considerably small than in say CoD or BF3
  • ViajeroViajero Join Date: 2012-09-21 Member: 160238Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2012
    I ll echo the responses above. Small but very solid and stable community.

In my case I never played NS1 and I was totally new to the NS concept when I downloaded NS2 I can say with certainty this game literally has keept me awake for the past few weeks more often than it should to be considered "healthy" :p . specially when it means 2:00 am on a weekday...

In terms of finding games I always find tons of them on at any given time, I actually have to filter out of the list those that are full so to have a clean view about where are free spots. Judging by the fact NS1 is more than 10 yo I have little doubts NS2 will be equally long lasting.

Plus I ve never seen Developers issuing one patch a week even after release and interacting with the community so much as UWE. Just because of that this game is worth it.

But 22 euro (what? 30 USD=?) ... you ll really get your money´s worth.

If you are on a tight budget Id also advice to wait a few days to Steam´s Xmas sale, hopefully UWE has agreed to a special price for the sale! I have a few friends eagerly awaiting for such a case.
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    To the OP: If you are the type of person who only likes to run with the herd - to play the most popular game and listen to the most popular music and stick to what everyone else approves of, then NS2 probably isn't for you.

If, on the other hand, you seek out that which is more challenging but much more rewarding in life, then buy this game. As others have said, the community is stable and there will be servers for a very long time to come. NS1 survived for years past its peak and was a very enjoyable and rewarding community to be a part of.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2047289:date=Dec 18 2012, 12:12 AM:name=NeoRussia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoRussia @ Dec 18 2012, 12:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047289"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You haven't even played it, NS2 is no generic huge battlefield fight-scene simulator, it's a stragic FPS. It's built around lower player counts. 2000 players is top 50 on steam, out of the huge amount of actual low playerbase games it's not one of them. It helps to do some research about this before asking.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Where better to do the research than on the game's general discussion forums? It helps to do some thinking before replying.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    People seem to be put off because it has a learning curve and encourages team work, dont let the negative comments put you off this is a great game.

I would recomend a microphone though :)
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    edited December 2012
    if you LOVED ns1 then i suggest you see if a friend will let you hop on their account or give you a key (depending on the time of purchase you got a free key as well to give away). ns2 is VERY different from NS1. most ns1 players i know that gave ns2 a chance have already stopped playing. ns2 is a decent game but if youre used to ns1 then ns2 will not be the game for you unless you think of it as a completely new game (hence borrowing it first)
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2047387:date=Dec 17 2012, 09:36 PM:name=TripleZero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TripleZero @ Dec 17 2012, 09:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047387"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Urr, i believe he was being sarcastic?

Anyways, buy the game its great, a high player count has nothing to do with the actual quality, see CoD.

High player count - no quality. Well maybe it had some quality when modern warfare 1 came out but uhh that was a while ago...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

actually black ops 2 isnt bad. been playing the console version and i rarely play with my xbox.