Demo playback

swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
edited December 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Ingame demo recordings</div>I know current demo playback system is experimental, but I would really like to see some improvements on it.
At the moment the playback speed is dependent on fps, on both the recorder side, and playback side afaik.
That makes it very hard to use it for material for stuff like movies, especially since there are also no way of dumping the frames in a folder via the game.

I currently have 1-2 movie projects in the planning, and I believe I can work around this problem.
Though due to that workaround it will clearly be reflected in the result, as the movie playback speed would not be 100% identical to the actual game speed.
If you could dump frames(.bmp?) via console and set the FPS you want, anyone with any PC could make smooth high quality movies for NS2.

I think the demo system is an important feature, even to leagues.
We are enforcing demo recordings on ENSL, and it is a pain to rewatch them whenever we get accusations of specific players.

Hoping the demo system will get some love soon!
Upvote if you want this too!
<a href="http://www.google.com/moderator/#8/e=2055e8&q=2055e8.6971a2&v=4" target="_blank">http://www.google.com/moderator/#8/e=2055e....6971a2&v=4</a>

Comments

• BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    This is something I'm really looking forward to as well.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Having to record before joining the server is also a pain (esp. if you have to watch them later) :D
  • greenpeegreenpee Join Date: 2012-04-10 Member: 150218Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2047658:date=Dec 18 2012, 12:50 PM:name=Mendasp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mendasp @ Dec 18 2012, 12:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047658"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Having to record before joining the server is also a pain (esp. if you have to watch them later) :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, I usually forget then have to reconnect lol
  • spacedanielspacedaniel Join Date: 2009-11-11 Member: 69348Members
    +1
    Would be a fantastic addition!
  • ArgoshArgosh Join Date: 2011-01-21 Member: 78474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am very much supporting this plea.

<!--quoteo(post=2047658:date=Dec 18 2012, 06:50 PM:name=Mendasp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mendasp @ Dec 18 2012, 06:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047658"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Having to record before joining the server is also a pain (esp. if you have to watch them later) :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If this is doable without too much trouble it would be a welcome addition too.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2012
    Having to start the recording before joining a server wouldn't really be a problem if there was a proper playback timeline interface; so one could jump forwards and backwards in the recording's timeline at will.

Seconding that the need for proper demo recording and playback is great.

For high quality movie making, a frame dumping functionality is also required, but that is a secondary concern.