Everything is worst since the last big update

Katboy333Katboy333 Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 170990Members
Performance side. Iv been one of those unlucky to get performance issues with this game and now since that last update its worst. The game always end up crashing,I get huge framelag when marines get exos(I never had that one problem before compared to others Iv heard),really bad framelag in bases or endgames. Even the usual framelag I was getting before is now worst,getting shot through walls after dodging bullets a good 0.5 more times than before. Iv heard alot of people saying its worst since that update too.

If it goes on I wont be able to play this game anymore.

Comments

• douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    grammar is worst too

but seriously, tweak your settings. I had mouselag that was completely removed by tweaking a few things. Just took some tweaking.
  • CsaeCsae Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172145Members
    Doesn't explain why his performance is getting worse without changing his own preferences.
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    instead of making guesses why performance might have gone down for the sake of griping about the game, i decided to take a proactive approach to actually help the situation
  • CsaeCsae Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172145Members
    Kudos to you for having the patience, time, and knowledge to truly help.

Its a positive thing, but being that the game costs money, it should not be expected of anyone. I also tried to find exactly what was causing me performance issues but was unable to narrow it down enough to truly be of help.
    performance (as a whole) has increased with just about every patch. It's been acknowledged that for some vocal few it has become worse in the last patch. Those people are not ignored, their issues will get resolved and performance will continue to improve. I submitted a performance fix yesterday that should help with infestation generation, it will continue to get better.

And yes, games typically don't have these issues, but at the same time, games aren't typically developed by a team of <10 people with no publisher backing them. Have patience, it's worth it.
  • Katboy333Katboy333 Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 170990Members
    Yeah right,I play every new games at full graphics with no problems. But the only way I could play this game was by turning off every graphic settings. The only thing I have is my regular 1280x1024 resolution.
  • cake.cake. Join Date: 2012-01-12 Member: 140165Members
    I guess it could be possible. Different hardware reacts in different ways. There is also the issue of the server performance. The performance of a server can really mess up your fps. And if it's actually the patch itself, which could also be, just ride it out until the next update. There is no reason to start contemplating abandoning the game, or even worse, starting a hate thread on the forums, just because the game is not running as smoothly as you would want it to at the moment you want it to.
    If it's something that happens regularly to many players, I am sure UWE will release a quick fix to the problem.
  • TripleZeroTripleZero Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167764Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2047835:date=Dec 19 2012, 03:50 AM:name=6john)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (6john @ Dec 19 2012, 03:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047835"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I had mouselag that was completely removed by tweaking a few things. Just took some tweaking.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Mind sharing what exactly you tweaked?
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    233 introduced significant frame lag during battles for me, but 234 improved it quite a bit. I'm pretty happy with things.

Of course, we all have different machines, some people will always get things a bit worse and others a bit better, no matter what change is made.
  • sharnrocksharnrock Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166084Members
    Most games don't demand much of the CPU. They use a lot of GPU power. That is why a lot of you can play the newest games at full ultra settings and not have any problems. If you want help, posting specs would be a start.
  • blzdblzd Join Date: 2012-04-01 Member: 149806Members
    Most games don't demand a Core i7 overclocked beyond 4Ghz either. NS2 still manages to struggle when that is the case.
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2048365:date=Dec 19 2012, 10:22 PM:name=TripleZero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TripleZero @ Dec 19 2012, 10:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048365"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Mind sharing what exactly you tweaked?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

ambient occlusion off
    raw input on
    multi-core rendering off - everywhere I read said not to do this, but i had a minimal FPS hit for this and my mouselag went away. Can't guarantee this will help everyone though.

everything else on high

I7 3.2ghz
    HD 5770
    8 USB ports
    wireless ethernet adapter
    onboard CMOS battery
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    I want to make people aware that current ambient occlusion technology, while very pretty, isn't quite "ready" for live use. None of the modern game engines, BattleField 3, Call of Duty whatever, Far Cry 3, Source, use a fully implemented version of ambient occlusion.

It's something we're seeing sneaking into the newest UT engine and the newest Crysis engine, and it's part of the reason why Epic is requesting Microsoft double the performance of the next generation Xbox (720? who knows).

Indie games can do things like implement the newest graphics algorithm that is making waves in the academic community. Games that want to get onto xbox and stroke the ego of all their customers cannot.

Because NS2 on full settings means you have ambient occlusion enabled, it will make even super machines chug. This isn't unexpected. I'd suggest people get over it.
  • DwavenhobbleDwavenhobble Join Date: 2012-12-14 Member: 175044Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2048375:date=Dec 20 2012, 03:54 AM:name=blzd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blzd @ Dec 20 2012, 03:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048375"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Most games don't demand a Core i7 overclocked beyond 4Ghz either. NS2 still manages to struggle when that is the case.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Maybe its a case of intel death.
    You know that weird syndrome intel Machines develop after 1-2 years where the processor slowly dies.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=2048443:date=Dec 20 2012, 09:49 AM:name=Dwavenhobble)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dwavenhobble @ Dec 20 2012, 09:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048443"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe its a case of intel death.
    You know that weird syndrome intel Machines develop after 1-2 years where the processor slowly dies.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think thats a thing (at least not anymore),
  • gnoarchgnoarch Join Date: 2012-08-29 Member: 156802Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2048375:date=Dec 20 2012, 04:54 AM:name=blzd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blzd @ Dec 20 2012, 04:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048375"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Most games don't demand a Core i7 overclocked beyond 4Ghz either. NS2 still manages to struggle when that is the case.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have to call bull###### here and now. It might be true the game needs above average SERVER CPUs but you definitely do not need to have a OC i7 to have good fps on the client side.
    I could play the game in beta state just fine with a Phenom II x4 955 and obviously it's no problem at all no I have a stock i7 2600k.

I said it before: You guys are in for a rough awakening once the next gen XBox/PS comes out and suddently not a single new game will run on your machines anywhere decent anymore....
    Just because for the last 4 years the technical aspect of games didn't really evolve as fast as it used to be this does not mean you can play with your crappy 2007 Computer indefinitely...
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    edited December 2012
    lmao. before the patch i had 5 minutes loading time with my i7. whats worse?

7 minutes loading time now precaching christmas boxes.

merry christmas.
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2048477:date=Dec 20 2012, 05:52 AM:name=Lofung)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lofung @ Dec 20 2012, 05:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048477"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->lmao. before the patch i had 5 minutes loading time with my i7. whats worse?

7 minutes loading time now precaching christmas boxes.

merry christmas.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

dont think the cpu is relevant to your times, which is way worse than my i5.

yea the first run loading with shader compiling & first pre-cache is very long - mines around 2.5m for refinery. i'm getting around 40s for a load after that (which is still not great), but not near what you're quoting there.

might look at your disk / controller situation.

uwe has more work to do on this, but honestly - let's let them focus on in-game perf.

edit: if this was totally a troll/exaggeration to make a point about the art & game programming devs working on a christmas promotion instead of working on engine performance (which they don't do), i've completely ignored it.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Phasing to Tech Support.
    Please follow the steps in this topic: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=117259" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index....howtopic=117259</a>
    Namely the steps for the Performance Log and the Profiler screenshots.
  • BronyBrony Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173165Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2048377:date=Dec 20 2012, 04:57 AM:name=6john)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (6john @ Dec 20 2012, 04:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048377"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I7 3.2ghz
    HD 5770
    8 USB ports
    onboard CMOS battery<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You need more USB ports. Also how thick is your mouse pad?
  • buhehebuhehe Join Date: 2012-05-15 Member: 152140Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2048377:date=Dec 20 2012, 04:57 AM:name=6john)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (6john @ Dec 20 2012, 04:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048377"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ambient occlusion off
    raw input on
    multi-core rendering off - everywhere I read said not to do this, but i had a minimal FPS hit for this and my mouselag went away. Can't guarantee this will help everyone though.

everything else on high

I7 3.2ghz
    HD 5770
    8 USB ports
    onboard CMOS battery<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Damnit, I need 2 more USB ports and an onboard CMOS battery to get a stable 60fps.

(Seriously, weirdest rig post I've ever seen)
  • blzdblzd Join Date: 2012-04-01 Member: 149806Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2048475:date=Dec 20 2012, 05:43 AM:name=gnoarch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gnoarch @ Dec 20 2012, 05:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048475"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have to call bull###### here and now. It might be true the game needs above average SERVER CPUs but you definitely do not need to have a OC i7 to have good fps on the client side.
    I could play the game in beta state just fine with a Phenom II x4 955 and obviously it's no problem at all no I have a stock i7 2600k.

I said it before: You guys are in for a rough awakening once the next gen XBox/PS comes out and suddently not a single new game will run on your machines anywhere decent anymore....
    Just because for the last 4 years the technical aspect of games didn't really evolve as fast as it used to be this does not mean you can play with your crappy 2007 Computer indefinitely...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you've read some of the posts in tech support, you'd see many people with overclocked i7s complaining about performance. If your X4 955 is handling NS2 as admirably as you make it out to seem, then you are one of the lucky ones. Any one trying to use UWE's recommended system requirements (never mind the minimum) is floating 10 FPS end game.

Personally, I've tested the game on a Core i7 3.1Ghz @ 1080p and have seen the same issues people are talking about. So I assume you need to overclock to 4ghz+ to get some decent end game FPS since GPU apparently has little effect.

Lastly, next gen consoles will only manage to catch up to last gen PC hardware and I doubt we'll be seeing anything that impressive for a while. Look at Xbox 360 launch title graphics now to get a decent picture of what will happen. Perfect Dark, etc. The only reason a PC can ever struggle with console optimized graphics is lazy porting which is here to stay.