What upgrades do you usually roll with on aliens?

YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
For my gameplay

Skulk is always celerity and carapace. Camo for early game and Silence late game. Idk about adrenaline once you get leap. Is it worth it? I like how you can spam leap with it for easy speed once you get the momentum going but I always go with celerity anyways.

Gorge is obvious adrenaline and carapace and camo if only for getting away in certain situations.

Lurk is always celerity, silence, and regen. Idk much about that armor but I like regen since I can harass and wait for full health without going back to hive.

Fade is always adrenaline, carapace and camo. I am not sure which ones work best since I do not play fade that much.

Onos is celerity, camo and the last one is iffy. Armor is useful but so is regen for those times you wanna harass as an onos and there are no gorges or crags stations to heal you. What do you guys tend to pick regen or armor?

Thanks

Comments

• TripleZeroTripleZero Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167764Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    skulk: Celerity,Regeneration early Cara late, Camouflage early silence late.

Lerk (my favourite) : Adrenaline, Regeneration, Silence

Fade: Adrenaline, Carapace, Camouflage if still useable due to lack of obs, otherwise silence.

Onos: Adrenaline, Carapace, Camouflage
  • mushookeesmushookees Join Date: 2008-03-26 Member: 63967Members
    skulk - celerity and regen (silence late game)
    gorge - adren and cara (cloak late game)
    lerk - celerity and cara (silence late game) sometimes i use regen
    fade - adren and regen (silence late game)
    onos - celerity and cara (silence late game)
  • DanielDDanielD Join Date: 2010-11-16 Member: 74960Members
    Always celerity/camo/carapace. Only time I get adren is to suicide gorge against exos or a base, or if I'm going lerk and the other team can't aim. If the other team really can't aim I'll get regen for the fade too.

This is a good place to point this out I think: If you're playing adrenaline fade you're doing it wrong.
  • luminalumina Join Date: 2012-06-15 Member: 153300Members
    I use all of them for each life form. It just depends on the situation.

Daniel, why don't you explain your fade comment? Why would you want celerity after you have blink? The fade really benifits from extra energy. What advantage does speed give you when you are already warping everywhere?
  • TyrsisTyrsis Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8804Members
    edited December 2012
    If you're generally good at avoiding fire with a skulk, I'd suggest trying adren. You can do 5 leaps instead of 2, which is really quite good against jps who expect you to run out of juice after 2 leaps. It's obviously situational, but I've experimented with it, and it catches better jpers offguard as they don't expect you to catch them like that.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2049295:date=Dec 21 2012, 12:56 PM:name=lumina)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lumina @ Dec 21 2012, 12:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2049295"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I use all of them for each life form. It just depends on the situation.

Daniel, why don't you explain your fade comment? Why would you want celerity after you have blink? The fade really benifits from extra energy. What advantage does speed give you when you are already warping everywhere?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

With cele your blink goes faster so you need less energy to traverse the same distance, plus you do it quicker and are harder to hit.

I like cele/regen/silence on everything. Except gorge.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Skulk: celerity/camo/cara, replace camo with silence later
    Gorge: adrenaline/camo/cara no exceptions
    Lerk: celerity/camo/regen no exceptinos
    Fade: adrenaline/camo/cara no exceptions
    Onos: celerity/camo/cara, sometimes regen, tho very rare, sometimes adrenaline if we have stomp

I don't like silence on anyone but skulks, not because it's bad, you just don't feel the power of the onos when it does not make a sound :) Camo and regen are especially cool on lerks, since you can harass, and safely get all your HP back within seconds.
  • fivesevenfiveseven Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173272Members
    edited December 2012
    For fades, celerity > adrenaline.

If you have blink (which makes fade actually good) its always always always celerity. Seriously, you should never be running out of energy unless using vortex, even if you are running laps around the map.

Not only is celerity so superior, adrenaline doesn't even make you regain energy faster, so it's ONLY useful if you waste energy (eg hold down blink.)

Also, ive heard many decent players lately say celerity for skulks is useless. WTH? A walljumping celerity skulk has fantastic ability to quickly get anywhere...

Anyway:

Fade - Celerity, Silence, and either cara/regen depending on situation

Lerk - Celerity, either, either (depending on situation)

Gorge - Either, either, either (depending...)

Skulk - celerity, either, either (depending...)

It really depends...

//edit for mistake
  • DanielDDanielD Join Date: 2010-11-16 Member: 74960Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2049295:date=Dec 21 2012, 04:56 PM:name=lumina)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lumina @ Dec 21 2012, 04:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2049295"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I use all of them for each life form. It just depends on the situation.

Daniel, why don't you explain your fade comment? Why would you want celerity after you have blink? The fade really benifits from extra energy. What advantage does speed give you when you are already warping everywhere?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A few people basically answered this, but I thought I'd throw in a tip:

Jumping, then shadowstepping, then jumping again gets you through long spaces amazingly quickly. Don't forget you have 2 jumps per session in the air. Blink is best used for getting into their air during combat so you are harder to hit, or to make your movement less predictable (shadow step having a fixed distance).
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2049340:date=Dec 21 2012, 12:11 PM:name=xen32)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xen32 @ Dec 21 2012, 12:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2049340"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't like silence on anyone but skulks, not because it's bad, you just don't feel the power of the onos when it does not make a sound :) Camo and regen are especially cool on lerks, since you can harass, and safely get all your HP back within seconds.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Silence on anything is quite good really, and I think it's the most underutilized upgrade in the game.

On every lifeform the upgrades are dependent on the situation but I will choose silence over camo 99% of the time. I've had khams tell me they won't get silence because it's pretty useless. I ask them if they've ever played as marine with their sound off.
  • Angry ChildAngry Child Join Date: 2012-12-05 Member: 174256Members
    Think the best upgrade for sheer uncounterable value is carapace, but next to that I think the order for me in terms of value to the team are

Carapace>Celerity>Adrenaline>Regeneration>Silence>Camoflage
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    Depends mostly on the situation at the time, but here goes:

Skulk: Celerity/Silence/Carapace

Gorge: Adrenaline/Camo/Carapace

Lerk: Celerity/Silence/Carapace

Fade: Celerity/Camo/Regen (Late Game: Celerity/Camo/Carapace)

Onos: Celerity/Silence/Carapace

As you can see I prefer speed, silent attacks, and more HP most of the time. Celerity isn't very useful for a Gorge that likes to Bile Bomb, as it's disabled as 'in combat' during the DoT damage, and the Lerk is in much the same boat with active gas prohibiting cloaking although it seems that if you're already gliding at max speed with celerity dropping gas doesn't seem to affect your current speed. (Not sure if this is a glitch, working as intended, or if I'm flat out wrong. Just how it seems to me.)

It also depends on how good the commander is at sending out drifters to scout. Camo is only superior as an upgrade if you aren't moving or if they're looking right at you. With silence, it's easily possible for them to not know you're there until you're attached to their arse. Also, as a lerk having silenced needles is really helpful. You <i>will</i> confuse the hell out of some crappy Marines with a silenced SMG.

I honestly go silence about as often as I go camo with a Fade. If I go camo, I'm a lot more likely to get regen as well though.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited December 2012
    Depends on my job as Onos. If I just want to play defensive and harass enemies all around the map to prevent them from progressing into our territory, I go Camouflage + Regeneration as Onos for some nice hit'n'run. Kill 2 marines in a spot, run around the next corner, cloak and regenerate to full and catch the last guy who ran after me and thought I was about to die off guard from behind.

If the enemy is organized and has jetpackers and my team has Gorges or Crags in close locations, I roll with Carapace instead. And Silence, because they most likely have many Obs then as well.

I also didn't know for a long time that Camouflage actually works on Lerks while they fly. It only uncloaks them if they flap, not if they just glide.
  • BurdockBurdock Join Date: 2012-08-27 Member: 156553Members
    This is my thought...
  • DysfunctionalDysfunctional Join Date: 2003-06-06 Member: 17055Members
    Skulk: celerity, silence, cara
    Gorge: adrenaline, camo, cara
    Lerk: celerity, silence, regen
    Fade: adrenaline, silence, regen
    Onos: adrenaline, silence, regen when I'm harassing, cara if I'm the team focus.

I try to play aggressively as a skulk, and even more aggressively as a lerk.

I like to do sneak attacks as a gorge.

I'm still noob with the fade, so I don't know what to do. Play defensively and I get nothing done, go offensive and I overextend way too easy and waste 50 res. Must practice more..

I tend to onos when I can do my own thing, base harassing is fun and regen allows you to harass more.

It works for me.
  • Ness_FrogKingNess_FrogKing Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162628Members
    Skulk: Cele/Adren, Silence, Regen. I'll swap Cele for Adren once leap comes out. Leap + walljump is about as fast as cele anyway, and I like being able to leap a lot, especially in combat. I prefer Regen for hit and run tactics. And, since I like to move around quickly, Silence is a lot better than Camo (why sit in a room waiting, and get scanned, when I can dash through a vent and walljump down a hall to get behind them without them hearing me?).

Gorge: Adren, Camo/Silence, Cara. Don't really have a preference for the shade upgrade. Silent bilebombs are fun, but it's also nice to get around a corner and cloak. Gorge gets insane speed with cele, but I think the extra energy is needed more for mass bilebomb attacks (also can't use Cele while bile is active)

Lerk: Adren, Silence, Regen. I get Adren instead of Cele in anticipation of late game umbra spam.

Fade: Adren, Silence, Cara/Regen. I'm not pro enough, occasionally running out of energy, so I use Adren. It also helps when you get hit with flames. Cara or Regen depends on how the marines seem to be doing. If they can aim well, or have one really good marine, Cara. Otherwise, if I think I can survive a bit, Regen.

Onos: Cele, Camo/Silence, Cara. With Cele, running back to a hive to heal isn't that big of a deal, so no Regen. Camo or Silence depends on where we are in the game. If the marines are down to one tech point, Camo is useless, since they have an obs, so Silence it is. Otherwise, I like to play surprise Onos on marines, so I take Camo.
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2049724:date=Dec 22 2012, 12:45 AM:name=Dysfunctional)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dysfunctional @ Dec 22 2012, 12:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2049724"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm still noob with the fade, so I don't know what to do. Play defensively and I get nothing done, go offensive and I overextend way too easy and waste 50 res. Must practice more..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Blink in, hit a guy once, immediately blink away.

Start there, work your way into a comfort zone and get a feel for your health.
  • FenFen Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72843Members
    Adrenaline/camo/carpace<=skulk
    Adrenaline/camo/carpace<=gorge
    Celerity/camo/carapace<=lerk
    Adrenaline/camo/carpace<=fade
    Celerity/camo/carpace<=onos

I'm playing on the low end of the fps spectrum so celerity kind of makes it harder to play on both skulks and fades,not much choice there (and i actually like the extra leap from adrenaline-skulk)
    Everything esle is quite standard
  • gnoarchgnoarch Join Date: 2012-08-29 Member: 156802Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I like cele/cara/silence the most for skulk even though Adren may be better in terms on in-fight performance.

For other lifeforms I normally do Adren/Cara/Silence because they really are adren starved for the most time. Of course I take cele for Lerk if there are no spores in sight(which is not very often)
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members