Rookie Free Zone

FruityFunCakeFruityFunCake Join Date: 2012-12-20 Member: 175705Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Funcake's Safe-Haven (No Rookies, Some Newbs)</div>I appreciate the sale and i love the the idea of new players being brought into NS2. I just dont want to be playing with them. We all needed to learn to play once.... but not all at once. When you join a team and literally no one can do anything it damages the quality beyond enjoyment. That is why I will be turning my server into a rookie free zone.

I will be kicking all green rookies on spot to attempt to create a more viable playing experience. I know this will only blunt and not fix the problem of lower overall quality games. Rookies will not be green for long and the are newbies long after they go white. But hopefully a safe-haven will make the next few days more bearable as the great green swarms of newbies massing on many of the servers begin to learn or loose interest.

Feel as I feel??!?!?

search for Funcake's Fun-House Stats|Votemap|

or type in your counsel

connect funcake.ns2servers.com

Good luck and have fun regardless

Comments

• ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    What's the server location? I just commed a game where no one knew how to use a phase gate....
  • ma$$a$$terma$$a$$ter Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165651Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2048938:date=Dec 20 2012, 10:23 PM:name=FruityFunCake)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FruityFunCake @ Dec 20 2012, 10:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048938"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->or type in your counsel<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't have any advice to give, sorry.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2048945:date=Dec 21 2012, 02:34 PM:name=ma$$a$$ter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ma$$a$$ter @ Dec 21 2012, 02:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048945"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't have any advice to give, sorry.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    hahaha
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2048938:date=Dec 21 2012, 12:23 AM:name=FruityFunCake)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FruityFunCake @ Dec 21 2012, 12:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048938"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I will be turning my server into a rookie free zone. ... I will be kicking all green rookies on spot<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Seriously? It's one thing to run a non 'rookie friendly' server, but kicking rookies on join? Why don't you give them the finger as you're kicking them so these new players will feel totally welcomed?

I hate to break it to you, but when their 'rookie green' wears off in 4 hours, they aren't going to be that much better. My advice? Instead of kicking them, TEACH THEM. Honestly, many of these players are experienced, but because this game still doesn't have a working training module, they are forced to learn as they go. You want a better playing experience? If you run into new players, TEACH THEM. The better they get, the better the game for everyone.

Again, no one says anyone needs to run rookie friendly servers, and I hope new players choose the 'green' servers to learn. If they don't, how about being nice to them instead of rude?
  • FlyingboxFlyingbox Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167039Members
    Isolate the community and kick new players. GREAT IDEA!
    You know the rookie label is only a time-based thing, right? It's short and not indicative of player skill.
    When it wears off that player won't be a "pro" or may not even be competent.
  • Champlo0Champlo0 Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150617Members
    I'd rather at least some servers be rookie free whenever I join almost every server and over half the team is green. It's like wearing a blindfold and you're about to walk into a pile of ######, but with seeing everyone's name green it's like knowingly walking into a pile of ######; it makes it that much worse.
  • BurdockBurdock Join Date: 2012-08-27 Member: 156553Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2049026:date=Dec 20 2012, 11:35 PM:name=Champlo0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Champlo0 @ Dec 20 2012, 11:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2049026"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd rather at least some servers be rookie free whenever I join almost every server and over half the team is green. It's like wearing a blindfold and you're about to walk into a pile of ######, but with seeing everyone's name green it's like knowingly walking into a pile of ######; it makes it that much worse.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Then teach them the ways of badass-dumbfuuckerury
  • Champlo0Champlo0 Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150617Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2049027:date=Dec 21 2012, 12:38 AM:name=Burdock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Burdock @ Dec 21 2012, 12:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2049027"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Then teach them the ways of badass-dumbfuuckerury<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't have it in me to yell at people every 30 seconds to press C
  • BurdockBurdock Join Date: 2012-08-27 Member: 156553Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2049031:date=Dec 20 2012, 11:42 PM:name=Champlo0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Champlo0 @ Dec 20 2012, 11:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2049031"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't have it in me to yell at people every 30 seconds to press C<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Then tell them to watch the NsLearn videos... or Pubstomp like a boss!
  • ViajeroViajero Join Date: 2012-09-21 Member: 160238Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2048975:date=Dec 21 2012, 05:26 AM:name=Savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Savant @ Dec 21 2012, 05:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048975"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Seriously? It's one thing to run a non 'rookie friendly' server, but kicking rookies on join? Why don't you give them the finger as you're kicking them so these new players will feel totally welcomed?

I hate to break it to you, but when their 'rookie green' wears off in 4 hours, they aren't going to be that much better. My advice? Instead of kicking them, TEACH THEM. Honestly, many of these players are experienced, but because this game still doesn't have a working training module, they are forced to learn as they go. You want a better playing experience? If you run into new players, TEACH THEM. The better they get, the better the game for everyone.

Again, no one says anyone needs to run rookie friendly servers, and I hope new players choose the 'green' servers to learn. If they don't, how about being nice to them instead of rude?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Totally +1 to this.

To Fruityfuncake... you ll be surprised to see how "cluelessly" many of us "white" players behave in your "veteran" games. Filtering green names is a total waste of potentially perfect good teamplayers. Contrarily to popular belief, many green players can actually follow advice and orders.
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2048938:date=Dec 20 2012, 09:23 PM:name=FruityFunCake)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FruityFunCake @ Dec 20 2012, 09:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048938"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I appreciate the sale and i love the the idea of new players being brought into NS2. I just dont want to be playing with them. We all needed to learn to play once.... but not all at once. When you join a team and literally no one can do anything it damages the quality beyond enjoyment. That is why I will be turning my server into a rookie free zone.

I will be kicking all green rookies on spot to attempt to create a more viable playing experience. I know this will only blunt and not fix the problem of lower overall quality games. Rookies will not be green for long and the are newbies long after they go white. But hopefully a safe-haven will make the next few days more bearable as the great green swarms of newbies massing on many of the servers begin to learn or loose interest.

Feel as I feel??!?!?

search for Funcake's Fun-House Stats|Votemap|

or type in your counsel

connect funcake.ns2servers.com

Good luck and have fun regardless<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeaaaaahhh, being left to fend for yourself is a <i>great</i> learning environment. Really what your doing is counter intuitive because how can they get better if you don't give them a chance to play. Also putting your sever address on here is rather foolhardy because your screaming that it's full of noob haters in a game that is known for the helpful and kind community. With the people I know being an elitist douchbag is a turn away to both noobs and veterans, so have fun with almost no one joining your server.
  • GrayWGrayW UK Join Date: 2009-12-18 Member: 69701Members
    Your server and of course you can do as you wish but we had quite a few greens on the eXo server last night and we had a real blast! Some of those rooks can really shoot :)
    They just need a gentle hand to point them in the right direction, that's all.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Hm, would be an idea to put a tag in NS2 server that pops up a warning for rookies that this is a server for experienced players.
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    edited December 2012
    Yes, we could have pro tagged server, mid-level servers and rookie servers. The problem wouldn't go away. I'd say some ranking system would be cool, so new players can recognize the vets and are more prone to listen to them. (No advantages for leveling, just a rank). That would also help in balancing teams and the population on servers.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2049071:date=Dec 21 2012, 10:42 AM:name=Zaggy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zaggy @ Dec 21 2012, 10:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2049071"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hm, would be an idea to put a tag in NS2 server that pops up a warning for rookies that this is a server for experienced players.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just what I was thinking. No specific tags and kicking every greenhorn just after joining will make you look rude and harm the community.
    I can understand your motive, although I don't agree with it. Just yesterday we were all having a blast, both teams playing with half a green team. Epic back and forth match with alot of nice ninja moments as well as full on assaults.
    On the other hand, to be honest, there is that match where NOTHING happens because you get two rookie comms who don't know jack.
  • SmileCodeSmileCode Join Date: 2012-12-20 Member: 175673Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2048938:date=Dec 20 2012, 07:23 PM:name=FruityFunCake)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FruityFunCake @ Dec 20 2012, 07:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048938"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I appreciate the sale and i love the the idea of new players being brought into NS2. I just dont want to be playing with them. We all needed to learn to play once.... but not all at once. When you join a team and literally no one can do anything it damages the quality beyond enjoyment. That is why I will be turning my server into a rookie free zone.

I will be kicking all green rookies on spot to attempt to create a more viable playing experience. I know this will only blunt and not fix the problem of lower overall quality games. Rookies will not be green for long and the are newbies long after they go white. But hopefully a safe-haven will make the next few days more bearable as the great green swarms of newbies massing on many of the servers begin to learn or loose interest.[...]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why does it strike me as the much more viable option to just teach them and make them part of a functioning team. Instead you mark them as outcasts, kick them and punish those who don't try to cheat you by loosing their rookie-status right from the start. That sounds like a horrible idea! You can not create a more viable playing experience by making the game feel more hostile towards those who try to learn.

I still consider myself to be a rookie, but I like to share what I have learned so far. It makes them feel appreciated and part of something, although they are "newbs". What community even has the chance of doing so? So why don't you just teach them please, or at least explain to them (in a polite way) that there are speciall rookie-servers out there and there are tutorials to watch.
  • CsaeCsae Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172145Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2049071:date=Dec 21 2012, 04:42 AM:name=Zaggy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zaggy @ Dec 21 2012, 04:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2049071"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hm, would be an idea to put a tag in NS2 server that pops up a warning for rookies that this is a server for experienced players.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This.

I do not play on rookie servers, so when my team is 3/4ths green i know its gonna be a bad day. I don't mind teaching one greenie how to play aslong as he listens, but theres alot of gamers coming in with no strategies just wanting to shoot ###### on their own, whats that i have to look at a map and go where im told ###### THAT YOU AINT THE BOSS O ME! insert random profanity here.

As its pointed out tho, once the green wears off... they still suck.

My two suggestions is

1) make the green last more like 10 hrs of gameplay. 20? Alot more.

2) Non-game affecting rank. Age of Chivalry had this and it helped, you earned ranks the more you played and it gave you ###### all but a higher number next to your name. This would be a basic indicator of who to listen to. I'm really tired of listening to players who just started playing that i'm comming wrong and that holding deposit is FAR MORE IMPORTANT then central. deskface.

Theres soo many deskface moments that just snowball into a horrible defeat, at least against experienced teams the snowball effect is fast, but with greens on both sides... its painfully slow. We had a 50min refinery match where i killed 3 hives with my axe just ramboing, the alien comm was going nuts trying to get people to defend to no avail. They still won. We were clearly the better team killing i think 5 onoses 3/2 with 2 duals, and then another 4? with lvl 3 lmg and shotties... Of course we still lost bceause of early game mistakes. (Not sure what they were, wasn't there. )

Teaching a whole team of greens is near impossible since you can't see what each of them is doing, teaching someone is something generally done 1v1. If i see a bunch of greens i give em a few basic rules, don't backup go in a circle, don't build rt before power, etc, but it makes the game a bore, i can't play i have to teach. And i have to do it again, and again, and again... Wait didn't i pay to play a game... ? You teach them.
  • gnoarchgnoarch Join Date: 2012-08-29 Member: 156802Members, Reinforced - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=2049111:date=Dec 21 2012, 11:34 AM:name=Csae)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Csae @ Dec 21 2012, 11:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2049111"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->2) Non-game affecting rank. Age of Chivalry had this and it helped, you earned ranks the more you played and it gave you ###### all but a higher number next to your name. This would be a basic indicator of who to listen to. I'm really tired of listening to players who just started playing that i'm comming wrong and that holding deposit is FAR MORE IMPORTANT then central. deskface.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I really think this could help. But on the other hand people would start to stack teams based on which one has the higher ranks...
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    and for all of those who just don't want to listen and learn and just want to shoot s**t up tell them how to find a combat server.
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2049115:date=Dec 21 2012, 05:41 AM:name=gnoarch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gnoarch @ Dec 21 2012, 05:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2049115"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I really think this could help. But on the other hand people would start to stack teams based on which one has the higher ranks...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Or afk for higher rank, or play for K/D or score (which isn't currently reflecting anything properly) instead of playing to win.

All very good flaws with the system... Maybe we can find some solutions?

Stacking teams is something that is already very common in pub plays, you'll have clan members dropping in 4 at a time and dominating, or you'll have a bunch of friends who can play together and *GASP Listen to each other* ....dominating. So i don't think you can really do much against stacked teams unless you force random all everytime, which might suck since Hey, i wanna play with my friends :(
  • SmileCodeSmileCode Join Date: 2012-12-20 Member: 175673Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2049111:date=Dec 21 2012, 02:34 AM:name=Csae)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Csae @ Dec 21 2012, 02:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2049111"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1) make the green last more like 10 hrs of gameplay. 20? Alot more.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A very good idea I think.

<!--quoteo(post=2049111:date=Dec 21 2012, 02:34 AM:name=Csae)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Csae @ Dec 21 2012, 02:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2049111"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->2) Non-game affecting rank. Age of Chivalry had this and it helped, you earned ranks the more you played and it gave you ###### all but a higher number next to your name. This would be a basic indicator of who to listen to. I'm really tired of listening to players who just started playing that i'm comming wrong and that holding deposit is FAR MORE IMPORTANT then central. deskface.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In general that is a good idea, but in addition to what gnoarch already said I'd like to point out another very basic problem:
    After you are done with the - let's call it - the "rookie-phase" and start playing the game for real, the time you have played can just indicate how good you are. A thing I see quite often in other games with ranks is that people have a high rank and play like total morons.
  • current1yoldcurrent1yold Join Date: 2012-09-10 Member: 158911Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2049033:date=Dec 21 2012, 02:44 AM:name=Viajero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Viajero @ Dec 21 2012, 02:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2049033"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Totally +1 to this.

To Fruityfuncake... you ll be surprised to see how "cluelessly" many of us "white" players behave in your "veteran" games. Filtering green names is a total waste of potentially perfect good teamplayers. Contrarily to popular belief, many green players can actually follow advice and orders.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1. I was in a 16p game last night on viel where my team was 100% green other then myself and the commander and it was a VERY well balanced game. It was a long game (maybe 45 min) and had a multiple epic 5+ minute battles for both pipline and cargo. I was on aliens as a fade and basically didn't stop talking all game it felt like. Had to contently direct people but I tell you people listened. Every one on our team did exactly what I or the commander told them. It was amazing, one of the better games i've played in.

However, The downside is sometimes rookies flat out don't listen and that's when it gets extremely frustrating. It also seemed to requires some one on the team to really take charge and babysit in addition to the commander since you literally have to hold their hand for when to respond to what. Laste night and I was in about 7 or 8 games total on 4 diff servers prior to that last game we found. Every one other then that one was basically a joke.

I think ill learn from last night and find servers where rookies listen and be happy at that. That is really all you need when both teams are new.
    currently, so how bad was your directing if the game lasted 45mins lol ^ ^ /jking
  • marsvinmarsvin Join Date: 2011-03-22 Member: 87920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2049319:date=Dec 21 2012, 06:26 PM:name=current1y)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (current1y @ Dec 21 2012, 06:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2049319"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+1. I was in a 16p game last night on viel where my team was 100% green other then myself and the commander and it was a VERY well balanced game. It was a long game (maybe 45 min) and had a multiple epic 5+ minute battles for both pipline and cargo. I was on aliens as a fade and basically didn't stop talking all game it felt like. Had to contently direct people but I tell you people listened. Every one on our team did exactly what I or the commander told them. It was amazing, one of the better games i've played in.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not only that but I've played more than a few pub games with"vets" thinking they know better than the commander, ignore orders and actively goad fellow players to do the same. Quality of a player in my book (and in pub play at least) certainly isn't measured in game time or even their skill level.
  • PimpToadPimpToad Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166005Members
    Sometimes I toggle on rookie mode and run around like a headless chicken for the lulz. I find it hilarious how players will almost always deride you when you don't know what you're doing rather than telling newbies how to do things correctly. Hell I've gotten ridiculed for actually helping out new players understand the game. Quality of players these days...