High end system - low performance.

SubnovaSubnova Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175941Members
So I recently picked up NS2 during the steam sale of $10.00, I love the game. It's easily my current most enjoyed game. However with my current system I've not been fully able to enjoy the game due to issues with fps. I find that adjusting any setting other then vsync, aa, or ao, does not make a difference. I've updated my drivers fully and tweaked the settings to the full extent possible using all performance guides on the forums and I'm still unhappy with the outcome. (I also run the game from a batch file to set it to high priority).

My System Specs:
680m
I7 3610QM @ 2.4-3.4ghz
16G ram
2 240g ssd in raid 0
Win 7

I feel that my CPU is bottlenecking my system but I also take into account that I can max or set most games to high settings with 60+ fps. I also can't oc my 3610 to clarify, the 3610 is locked.

Comments

• Champlo0Champlo0 Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150617Members
    Try changing drivers, updating and reverting if needed.
  • blzdblzd Join Date: 2012-04-01 Member: 149806Members
    edited December 2012
    What resolution? Have you tried lowering? With the same CPU and a GTX660m 1366x768 my laptop runs a smooth FPS, end game about 30.

AO and Shadows make the biggest difference to frame rates I find, but resolution can have a large impact as well. Infestation off helps, and texture streaming will usually lower your minimum FPS.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2012
    Type r_stats in coneole in-game and see what number it says in "Waiting for GPU". If it's above 0 your system is GPU-bottlenecked, if it's 0 then it's CPU-bottlenecked.
  • SubnovaSubnova Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175941Members
    Resolution makes no difference on my fps (I use 1920x1080), and I find 30 fps is anything but "smooth" in regards to mouse input. Sure the game looks pretty but if you're actually going to hit anything you should think again. My drivers are fully updated and I've heard nothing about rolling back to previous versions for more performance, I forgot to mention that I've used r_stats before to determine my bottleneck and it's most certainly my cpu.
  • SubnovaSubnova Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175941Members
    Hey so just a quick update, I believe my issues regarding performance may be more linked to mouse input lag associated with low fps. I changed my mouse polling rate to 125hz instead of 1000hz and I've found that makes the game more playable but I'm finding aiming to feel for lack of a better term "mushy", or sluggish.