Left 4 Dead 2 Valve Conspiracy, yes i know this is ns2

skyewingskyewing Join Date: 2010-04-24 Member: 71519Members
edited December 2012 in Off-Topic
<div class="IPBDescription">But chet f keeps deleting my threads on steam.</div>I hope posting links is allowed if not i can past the 1000 word essay in here xP.
<a href="http://skyewing.com/wordpress/?p=101" target="_blank">http://skyewing.com/wordpress/?p=101</a>

I know this is for natural selection 2, but i love ns2 and i l4d2. But I dont play l4d2 anymore because of this issue so ive been playing alot more ns2.
But I am pretty much done with valve now. And i cant have a real topic about this withought them deleting it.
Really frustrating and i know the ns2 moderators and developers still care about their players, even the ones rambling like me.

But i do not think these people should have the right to dos people even if they are griefing or trolling. ( they did it to me for 2 weeks and then tell me i was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, mhmmm i suppose thats after they trash talked me and called me redneck)

Comments

• godriflegodrifle Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58815Members
    I read the link and was pleased to have read it. Here is a 28 year old man, that just wanted to play some computer games... and _this_ is his story.
  • ToastieToastie Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167351Members
    Sounds like you were posting information about an exploit. Hence the removal/banning. That being said, this is the NS2 general discussion forum, not the random complaints forums. Try <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showforum=10" target="_blank">Off-Topic</a>.
  • skyewingskyewing Join Date: 2010-04-24 Member: 71519Members
    edited December 2012
    I figured that would be the reaction xP, just delete this.

To me this is blowing my mind, here is a million dollar company that cant stop these kids from attacking servers.
    If valve doesnt stop this, I wouldnt be surprised if they go after NS2 next.

To be honest i was hoping chet would just disable my steam account.
    Honestly i am old, maybe it is time to hang the belt up. I dont have any kids and my fiance lives 1400 miles away until my property is settled.
    Both my parents are dead.
    My life sucks, if it werent for games, sigh.

I cant be the only adult here who has struggled with this stigma every day of their life.

And i posted here, because i dont have any other forums that I visit that I can think of :(.
    Also i didnt scroll down far enough to see the off topic forum. I just seen general dicussion, general.
    So if a mod wants to move it there, feel free.

But i do beleive this is relevant to ns2 because I am scared they are going to start targeting me again for helping people,
    Im done with l4d2, they cant take ns2 from me too.

And i know for a fact none of the developers here are like chet, god that guy is so annoying.
  • Hunter.S.T.Hunter.S.T. Join Date: 2012-05-26 Member: 152596Members
    What stigma??

i read your link, interesting story.

I wouldnt worry about em coming after NS2, the community would just give em the bums rush.
  • CsaeCsae Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172145Members
    edited December 2012
    You can't really stop DDOSing.

You can go after it, but theres a reason even the CIA will go down.

It is illegal, and people can get arrested for it, thats about it really. Its another Steam exploit, there has been plenty in the past even on the old WON servers (remember that far back?)

The more you let it affect you, the more its working. Finding a way around it is the only solution.

Humm, why are you bringing your personal life into the story of server exploits ? You're asking to be ######ed with at that point.
    edited December 2012
    I live in southern ohio, most people down here look on adults that choose to play video games instead of other hobbys.
    But i havent worryied about ns2 until i got that email today.
    Its apparent to me that these people are very unhappy im helping their victims. xP God i hve a feeling they are gonna make me pay for it.
    This is starting to freak me out enough i may go file a complaint with the local law enforcement.
    I remember WON, they phased it out shortly after steam xP. But really i started getting into online games when i was 14 (cs 1.3, i miss it).

And the thing is in the article i explain that you can watch other servers get ping bombed, i did this all night and they quit.
    And the other people i showed this to who are being attacked do it (someone called it deflecting xP) and they would quit attacking them.

And they keep fixing their script but me and a few other people keep figuring out how to keep fooling it for the time being.
    They arent attacking me again.. yet. They are just warning me in a email to not help their victims. LIke WTF O_O, its weird, its really weird.

Btw this has been going on for a month, cant they shut these guys down already, (God if my computer was part of a botnet you could bet a id be calling my isp after i reformated to get my internet unblocked, happend before with my brothers computer)
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    It sounds like you have a real problem on your hands.

You also sound rather high strung.
  • Hunter.S.T.Hunter.S.T. Join Date: 2012-05-26 Member: 152596Members
    Well, if its against the law then you should mate, see if the police can help you at all.

Seems to me that anyone who would look down on you for video games as a hobby, probably isnt someone whose opinion you should be bothering yourself with.

Honestly, you sound like your proper wound up, you should chill out for a bit and enjoy xmas :)
    edited December 2012
    I am wound, Ill be doing alot better when I have income, and these ######s stop playing on my paranoia.
    Hard to celerbrate christmas.
    Both my parents are dead, my uncles a [CENSORED] and screwing me , and my fiance lives 1400 miles away and I cant move there until my property is settled.
    Its a bad situation, But im not here to ###### about my personal life.
    I just want these mother [CENSORED]'s to stop doing this to people.
    IT really has nothing to do with me.

Chet made me about put a gun to my head and kill myself (seriously), he was not helpful at all.
    I know people dont understand and most dont want or have no ability to empathize anyway.
    But im a empathy magnet, and when people are getting wronged and ######ed with, it ######s with me too.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Phasing to Off-Topic.
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2050548:date=Dec 24 2012, 12:10 AM:name=skyewing)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (skyewing @ Dec 24 2012, 12:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2050548"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But im a empathy magnet, and when people are getting wronged and ######ed with, it ######s with me too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Kudos to you for being one of the few people who stand up to others and call out people when they do something wrong.

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Bible)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bible)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Fact of the matter is, most game servers are probably not run with adequate security, if at all.

In this case, it's a simple game server, which should be relatively easy to fix. Use a firewall to restrict pings, especially if the game is already full. Block all traffic that is not related to the game.

There's also a way to delay request processing. Take a request, sit on it for a few seconds, and then respond.

There's even high quality analysis algorithms that can detect and block DDOS attacks outright. My memory is a little sketchy from the research, but from what I can remember, it was basically like this: all legitimate traffic comes in "clusters," all usually located close to each other geographically and internet-wise. A DDOS attack uses spoofed hosts, so an algorithm to test the randomness of clusters can successfully detect a DDOS attack a majority of the time.
  • Tool8Tool8 Join Date: 2012-01-01 Member: 139405Members
    @skyewing: I don't think accusing Valve of conspiring really helps your case, if those incidents really were true. You must understand that (intelligent) people will not believe every story some dude from the internet told them. And considering for example the tabloidesque title of your thread and the fact you're posting this on a random forum that has very little to do with what happened to you, my media literacy tells me: Not very trustworthy.

<!--quoteo(post=2050590:date=Dec 24 2012, 02:37 AM:name=WhiteWeasel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteWeasel @ Dec 24 2012, 02:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2050590"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

that is not from the bible...
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edmund burke would be greatly offended.
    edited December 2012
    Like i said I cant post over in valves own forums withought chet deleting every thread i make, telling me im violating tos's when im clearly not.
    This is a really weird story, and while they have stopped attacking servers I join, they are still attacking plenty of other people.
    Chet may be right that it takes law enforcement some time to find this guy... but 4 weeks later they are still doing it and a little google search has led me to discover that whoever is doing this, has been doing it for a couple YEARS. WHAT! Google l4d2 ddos attacks.
    That email they sent me they tried to pass themselves off as valve employees? or something saying that after i was investigated i wasnt a troll and they removed me from the script. Mmhmm I suppose thats after they trashtalked and called me redneck.

This is a legit discussion, talk to your friends, see if any of them that play l4d2 know what I am talking about.

These guys are the ultimate trolls, they ddos people for the hell of it, most people that add me have no clue why in hell they are being attacked. It was proably as simple and kicking and blocking that guy who jumped off the roof at the start of no mercy first map.

And like i said at the end of the article I doubt valve is really in on it, but some of the ###### that is happening, im not the only one that feels that chet f knows these people and are letting them get away with it.
    I again understand it takes time to find the person doing these attacks, but why all the smoke and mirrors. Why are we not allowed to discuss it over on the steam forums withought posts like this getting deteted?

Cant chet just post and say stop being stupid we have no part in this?
    Instead i get banned, posts deleted, and weird emails.
    If they would start telling people ###### instead of keeping it hid, like not talking about it is really going to make it stop, I would stop feeling paranoid, but hell i thought this might have been a ploy to make people buy extra copies of l4d2.

And i know it may seem hard to beleive, it is for me still. But why would I lie.
    If you watch the video theres almost 30 minutes of server 2 server getting dropped, timing out.
    Its up to you to watch the video and read my thoughts and decide if what im saying is true.
    But i gurantee it is, I still have friends on my friends list still being attacked.
    Add me, steamcommunity.com/id/skyewing, ive had my steam account 9 years ill be nice xP.
    I doubt the cowards would attack ns2, they know the developers would bury them.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    That is a very interesting (and peculiar) story. I guess some people went 'vigilante' on L4D2 and the main problem with such behaviour arose: no mediation. Nobody to check if the punished player actually committed an offense. If all the evidence is real (I'm not suggesting it isn't, but I won't blindly assume it is, either), valve should indeed try and solve the problem.
    edited December 2012
    They tried to claim they are vigilante, punishing players that deserved it.
    But these guys i am 99% sure that they ping bombed me because they trashtalked the entire map of no mercy telling me that i sucked and the 3 random people on my team sucked less ( i was killing their team over and over covering my teammates asses ). We clutched the map by freaking 10 points, they were pissed. I dont like trash talkers and i blocked them. The next day i played i started getting ping bombed, went on for 13 days before someone showed me by using ~ in your name you can trick the script into looking for herc ~ instead of herc (hl2 equivalent of ~ ), i was really starting to FREAK OUT before viva showed me that. anyone would.

But its apparent to me they really dont want me helping people(true purpose of email) and I feel like that by telling my story somewhere that I might be helping someone who hasnt been victimized yet.
    Besides that, vile scum like this dont deserve to own a computer, ever.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited December 2012
    It's... video games.

Video games are not the entire world, hell even going to university doing a degree in them, the thing I was constantly told is 'you need a life outside video games' and that's 90% of the reason i don't have any interest in the thing I got my degree in any more.

Just, let it go, seriously, go outside and look at trees or something, or the desert if there's no trees where you live, my Ohio geography isn't very good. There's an entire world that exists outside of the computer, and this from someone who spends 90% of their time on the computer, I still look out of the window every so often and enjoy being outside, even in crappy winter weather.

The thing about computers is you can turn them off, and when they're off they can't talk to you, or affect you in any way. Anything that stays troubling you when you turn off the computer is your doing, so it's up to you to push it out of your head. Control your life, it is quite possible to do for the most part, and the bits of it you can't control, you can still control your reaction to them.
  • RoloRolo Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176132Members
    skyewing really helped me with these dos attacks.

When I first got dos attacked, I didn't know what to do really.

It was a new thing to me and my ignorance to dos and ddos really messed me up.

I couldn't play one game of l4d2 until i contacted skye.

He taught me how to evade dos attacks and how to deflect.

Although I don't really think deflecting is a good thing since it hampers with innocent people, it makes the real dos attackers quit attacking.

I believe that skye isn't lying about his story.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    edited December 2012
    This whole thing is so strange, and I don't mean you being DDOS'ed in L4D2. I mean you posting about it in these forums (pointless) and telling us your personal life story (pointless). I went on internet crusades too, but I stopped once I got past the age of 15. I don't want to come off as the grammar police, but your nearly incoherent ramblings are so riddled with errors it's hard to take you seriously.

From your blog post (pointless) it's clear that you're no longer being targeted by the person who DDOS'ed you. Go play some L4D2.

I'm curious how many other forums you posted this gibberish in, trying to drum up some attention to a problem that affects so few. I think it's funny that you think you've been wronged in some major way. In the end, no one cares. DDOS'ing is hard to stop, but it's illegal. I'm betting you'll tell your story everywhere, with the exception one the group of people who can actually take action.... the police.

I also find enjoyment that you got someone to make an account and post how you helped them. Good god Rolo, you weren't addicted to meth. Your life wasn't spiraling out of control. Read how dramatic you make your post sound.

Ugh.

If we're into the habit of locking really <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=126042" target="_blank">stupid</a> <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=126326" target="_blank">threads</a> I have to wonder how this one is falling through the cracks.
    edited December 2012
    Lmao I asked someone to post because they are being attacked as we are sitting here ######ing about this.
    And actually besides steams forums ( where threads do keep getting deleted and locked ) this is the only forum i could think of where i could get input from people.
    Sorry for offending you.

And im done with l4d2 after this, even if im not getting attacked, every ping spike, ever skip on a animation, i feel like its going to happen.
    I wont buy l4d3.
    Im about done with all multiplayer games actually.
    The trolls , griefers they arent just in left 4 dead 2,
    The entire human species is deevolving into cold hearted, ignorant, sheep.

Your right, im getting to the point where playing these games are not providing the enjoyment and relaxation i used to get.
    And yes there is more than just the hills of appalachia, im moving to nova scotia pretty soon, cant ######ing wait.

And if you arent interested in this post, then please dont post just to say that my 100000 word essay is filled with grammatical errors.

Im in between jobs, property ###### has been in the courts for 2 years.

What do you want me to do, sit at home all day and whack it xP.
    I dont have many options bro.

###### sakes ive watched every stargate episode every on netflix xP.

When I move in with my fiance, ill have a child, and when that day comes, i wont be like 1/2 the degenerate parents and let tv and society raise my kid. But until then, i dont see how people have any right to ###### about me sitting on a computer and play video games.
    I work too( when i have a job) and i walk my dog a few times a day for about a hour 1/2 up these huge ass hills xP. I have friends in real life ( yeah im a loser so not many) , but they have familys and work, Im not going to be butting into someone elses life xP.
    And where i live at, there is NO ONE into pc gaming, NO ONE my age.
    Thats the one thing I miss about uni, was hanging out with nerds like me xP.
    Ffreaking shawnee state university xP.

I dont expect anyone to do anything or believe anything,
    but when I got that email telling me to stop.
    I felt like I should tell my story even more.
    I just want people to at least know of it.

I hate being paranoid but I really wonder if chet f is not tied into this.

Here is one of the original steam threads, I dont see any point in doing any kind of speculating in there because they will delete posts for no clear reason.
    <a href="http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3027301" target="_blank">http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/show...d.php?t=3027301</a>`

<!--coloro:orange--><span style="color:orange"><!--/coloro--><sup>Merged those for you, please don't double (triple) post. -Angelusz<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></sup>
  • luminalumina Join Date: 2012-06-15 Member: 153300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2050548:date=Dec 24 2012, 12:10 AM:name=skyewing)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (skyewing @ Dec 24 2012, 12:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2050548"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->my uncles a [CENSORED] and screwing me<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Too much info...

I do have some advice aftet reading this thread. Find a good therapist. You need one.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    This thread has run its course. DDOS through a game was an interesting read, but it's spiraling out of control now.

<!--coloro:orange--><span style="color:orange"><!--/coloro--><sup>*Locked*<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></sup>
This discussion has been closed.