Basic modding question

VilppeVilppe Join Date: 2013-01-02 Member: 177125Members
Hello.

I just learned that the game could be customized trough lua. There is something I wanted to change in the game so I went ahead and edited GUIChat.lua to have chat messages displayed for a longer time than default. I found the change very simple to do and decided to test it out. Turns out I get kicked out of the server for having modified my game files. I try to change a couple other GUI files and all fail.

I do understand the need for consistency checks, but GUIChat.lua? It seems like it would be pretty hard to achieve any sort of unfair advantage by editing it.

And so I was wondering if there is anything I can actually change and still be able to play on "normal" servers?

After a few searches I found someone mentioning a list of checked files which would be located in the appData folder but I had no such thing in there.

Comments

• lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2054796:date=Jan 2 2013, 06:52 PM:name=Vilppe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vilppe @ Jan 2 2013, 06:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054796"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hello.

I just learned that the game could be customized trough lua. There is something I wanted to change in the game so I went ahead and edited GUIChat.lua to have chat messages displayed for a longer time than default. I found the change very simple to do and decided to test it out. Turns out I get kicked out of the server for having modified my game files. I try to change a couple other GUI files and all fail.

I do understand the need for consistency checks, but GUIChat.lua? It seems like it would be pretty hard to achieve any sort of unfair advantage by editing it.

And so I was wondering if there is anything I can actually change and still be able to play on "normal" servers?

After a few searches I found someone mentioning a list of checked files which would be located in the appData folder but I had no such thing in there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Unfortunately code in any one file isn't limited to the functionally that file provides. Allowing editing of even an innocent looking lua file like that one could compromise the client so that you could change any code, anywhere, which could be used to cheat.
  • VilppeVilppe Join Date: 2013-01-02 Member: 177125Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2054812:date=Jan 2 2013, 11:10 AM:name=lwf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lwf @ Jan 2 2013, 11:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054812"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Unfortunately code in any one file isn't limited to the functionally that file provides. Allowing editing of even an innocent looking lua file like that one could compromise the client so that you could change any code, anywhere, which could be used to cheat.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I understand this, but after reading about other mods I was under the impression that it was indeed possible to mod certain things.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    Start the launchpad, it lets you create an actual mod, which you can publish and then use on servers that get it.
    Or something like that.
  • VilppeVilppe Join Date: 2013-01-02 Member: 177125Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2054839:date=Jan 2 2013, 12:02 PM:name=Feha)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Feha @ Jan 2 2013, 12:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054839"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Start the launchpad, it lets you create an actual mod, which you can publish and then use on servers that get it.
    Or something like that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I guess this answers my question. In other words, I can't use any modifications on "normal" servers.