Fix the score system / Assist points / Get points for doing stuff

jostoljostol Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166659Members, Reinforced - Shadow
You need to get points for damage dealt and damage healed.
Exact number vary and will need tweaking after testing in-game.

Deal 250 damage to one object, such as a skulk or an harvester, and get 1 point.
Repair 250 HP, get 1 point. Build 250 HP, get 1 point.

This way your team mates assisting you will still get points and gorges won't miss out on those 5 points for building built which don't get awarded most of the time.
(If you play for points, welding building being a gorge etc don't make much sense.)

At the moment, people who get the last shot in get all the points even if you did all the damage. Building people can steal those 5 points at the last moment if they start building (or if you're a gorge you miss out because your timing is wrong).

Comments

• Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members
    Started a Thread about this in Beta. Well, u see what happend. Nothing :>.

Actually its : last hit = u get all the points. Even if 3 people are building the same structure = only one of them get all the points. Just a bad design for a teambased game.
  • RikiRudeRikiRude Join Date: 2012-12-30 Member: 176775Members
    I have to fully agree with this request, as a game that is so focused on team play, it's silly there is no assist system in place.

I'm sitting there as a gorge or a marine building, repairing, doing damage to enemies, but I'm still at the bottom of the score board simply because I didn't do that last bit of damage to the target.

If you take a mix of Battlefield 2 and Team Fortress 2, and how they do assist points, I think you can find something that works for NS2.

Do 50 damage to an enemy and that enemy is then killed, you get 1 point.
    Every 300 damage you do to a structure that is killed, you get 1 point.
    You get an extra point for dealing the last 5 damage to a structure or enemy.
    Get 1 point for every 100 health you heal as a gorge.
    Get 1 point for every 200 health you repair/build on a structure.

Something along these lines would make people who really focus on support feel like they are making an impact. That marine that was the commanders right hand man that was setting up that base that help your team secure a position, should have the same impact as the marine that's getting a 1:1 K:D ratio.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    I've developed a relativistic construct for the tangible, and intangible organization of FPS play (Namely a complete ordering of all players with respect to each other, across predetermined trends in the data). My system would apply to this game. If the devs are interested of course.

There are many pitfalls with traditional (basic) scoring models for such a game, as is evident in this thread, avoidable though.
  • LilbitHeartlessLilbitHeartless Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172517Members
    I agree. It wouldn't take anything away from the game and I think it would add more enjoyment along with encouraging and rewarding players for supporting.

I would also like to see damage done to buildings and healing(or welding) done. It makes certain jobs more fun without even needing to buff them plus for those marines that spend their game attacking alien harvesters and upgrades, which can be quite helpful, they wouldn't look like a waste of space to the team mates that might not have noticed what they were doing.
  • ShaamaanShaamaan Join Date: 2013-01-01 Member: 176961Members
    It's definitely something I'd like to see implemented.

It feels good to be rewarded for doing the right things. As a new player, after a few games and looking at the score, I just felt BAD about myself, as I got the impression I wasn't doing what was right.

Given that deaths don't deplete some global resource counter (nor do individual kills fill some "TDM victory limit" counter), it'd be nice to be rewarded for doing the things you need to do in NS2 to actually win.
  • C0RR4D0C0RR4D0 Join Date: 2013-01-01 Member: 176978Members
    Agreed.

Where are the assist points? I mean, when someone is solo building something for 95% of it, then another player drops in to finish it and get the points, it's not really fair to the other player.
    Points should be based on the % of damage/build/repair done - similar to BF3
  • SaltSalt Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172766Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    They need to split the points among the people that did a % of damage.
    Say power nodes, they give 15 score.
    If an onos brings it down 66%, and i do the other 34% as a skulk, then the point distribution should be 10/5 respectively. And this should go with everything.

Now it might be a little tricky getting all that programmed in, since you have to account for healing, and then deciding who's 'damage dealt' goes off, All equally, or in the reverse order as they did damage?

So that's a bit of a problem, but i think this would be a good solution.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    just shut down the scoreboard.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    just shut down the scoreboard.
  • gotcha_ridergotcha_rider Join Date: 2013-01-05 Member: 177617Members
    I agree. It is frustrating to destroy 95% of an equipement and a guy coming at the end gets the points .
    The way points are counted could be more fair. For instance, points cound be split between people who contributed to destroy an equiment or kill an enemy, in the proportion of the contribution of each.
  • JuomariJuomari Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167141Members
    i have even better suggestion to this one, remove all scores, kills / deaths, only thing you could see from "scoreboard" would be names.

thanks.
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Gorging up harvesters, hives and healing other teammates as they attack a RT or a base, the gorge gets nothing from it, score wise.

Welding up buildings or an Exo, the marine gets nothing from it.

Yeah, this needs to be implented.
  • TehSlenderManTehSlenderMan Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177361Members
    Also agreed.

Countless times i'm attacking someone with a friend, and one of us always ends up getting nothing, and it is just very irritating, similar issue when building with other teammates. In a team based game such as this one, the first thing it should have, is a perfectly designed assist system. Otherwise, people that are all about the points will just stop playing as a team (seen it happen) granted it's not THAT bad for me, but that doesn't mean I don't care.
  • NorgifNorgif Join Date: 2013-01-05 Member: 177602Members
    The latest update should fix this, as well as reward gorges/marines whom are healing teammates. As far as i understand at least.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    Game should just randomly show messages on the screen to everyone saying
    'Good job!'
    'You are doing great!'
    'Keep up the good work!'

then everyone is happy