Lets talk about Onos

1235»

Comments

• TehSlenderManTehSlenderMan Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177361Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2056268:date=Jan 4 2013, 08:11 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Jan 4 2013, 08:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056268"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You don't wait, you just unspin them. The spin up time alone will allow them to cool down to about half way.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hmm, had no clue about that. Will try that and see how it goes. But my original comment stands on Exo needing to be a little faster, or have more health. Onos is fast as hell, and has a ton of HP.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2056376:date=Jan 5 2013, 07:26 AM:name=TehSlenderMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TehSlenderMan @ Jan 5 2013, 07:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056376"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hmm, had no clue about that. Will try that and see how it goes. But my original comment stands on Exo needing to be a little faster, or have more health. Onos is fast as hell, and has a ton of HP.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think that in general, the Onos' survivability is fine. The problem is that it is largely skill independent. The best Onos player and the 10th best Onos player have basically the same impact on a game, because the Onos is so easy to play. Exos on the other hand require a lot of coordination and planning to keep alive and effective.

They need to introduce a skill based second hive ability for the Onos, and then reduce the HP/Armour and speed amounts to compensate.
  • ApheiroxApheirox Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167297Members
    edited January 2013
    Haven't read anything but OP's post in this gigantic thread, but I want to point out that:

Onos is comparable to DUAL CANNON exo, <i>not </i>singular. And the 2x version kicks *serious* ass.

The main 'problem' with Onos is it requires a lot less teamwork to unlock... basically, zip, zilch, zero. Dual exo, you need lots of research, marines building various stations (com center, prototype center) and comm doing several upgrades. For this reason Oni are very common in games whilst marines often fail to unlock the exo in time... This leaves the Marine team on foot while aliens are running around wreaking havoc as Fade and/or Onos, consequently getting much squashed.

Make sure your commander is on the ball and gets your team the prototype researches fast and this problem goes away. Dual exo makes mincemeat of even the Onos if positions are favorable.
  • OgraitOgrait Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164306Members
    Onos is fine. Please dont' nerf or buff anything in game right now.

But there is one thing about onos vs. exos that makes me mad. When onos is really close at exo, Exo is inside onos model. U can't see where onos is really, You see onos belly or something. Hard to hit in that situation. Fix onos model and hitting with exo in close situation is much easier. U can see that even in readyroom with snowballs. Throw a ball to onos head and it goes thru and hitting somewhere onos belly.
  • The AlgerianThe Algerian Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175962Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2056224:date=Jan 5 2013, 12:53 AM:name=TehSlenderMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TehSlenderMan @ Jan 5 2013, 12:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056224"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Chuck Norris? Is that you?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=2056247:date=Jan 5 2013, 01:30 AM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Jan 5 2013, 01:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056247"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No, just some guy who likes to join rookie servers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually I had help from a phase gate.
    The Oni were attacking an infantry portal each while I was spawning, I spawned jumped out.
    They didn't seem to care about me, they kept destroying the IP's, I grabbed a flame, started burning them, they came after me, I phased away, reloaded on the other side, re-phased and finished them.

Jumped in the command, rebuilt the IP's and saved the day. In the end we won the match.
    So wether they were rookies or not, they still almost wiped us out.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    i htink once they figure out that frontside bonewall shield thing and reduce hp/armor accordingly it will fix up onos

they can still 1v1 exos but they can't suicide on powernodes or any buildings at all as their backside will be exposed

jetpackers will also have a field day with them lol, they might need their super lenght gore attack back
  • DumbMarineDumbMarine Join Date: 2003-02-16 Member: 13645Members
    I'm curious as to how many of these "onos ate my exo" stories had armor 3 upgraded. I'm pretty sure the math works out that the armor 3 dual exo wins every time against an onos, assuming you don't miss (how do you miss an onos?).

Onos vs exo is a dumb matchup though, exos shouldn't be running around alone.