How do I set up a shade, crag, or shift hive?

aaronmontoaaronmonto Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 178052Members, Reinforced - Supporter
I understand the alien commander position pretty well... But most of the time, I'm unable to set up a shade/crag/shift hive. The option simply doesn't seem to be there when I click on the hive.

Sometimes when I click on the hive, an "upgrade to crag hive" icon appears. However, 95% of the time I do not get an apparent option to upgrade.

<b>Can someone tell me the exact steps for upgrading a hive to a shade, crag, and shift hive?</b> Am I bugged? This is killing me.

Another question: sometimes the option is there, but seconds later when I click on the hive again it is no longer. Seriously, I am so confused.

Comments

• billetbillet Join Date: 2012-10-02 Member: 161318Members
    When the hive is first built/dropped, there will be three icons on top of the hive. SHIFT, SHADE OR CRAG. Select which one.
    Once complete you can do into the structurs and either drop a spur for shift, veil for shade or shell for crag.
    Once the upgrade structure has been built you need to select the appropriate upgrade.
    Each upgrade needs its own structure.
    Remember to double up between hives as if the marines kill a hive and structures around you may loose all your upgrades unless you double up.

I have a you tube channel that has a lot of commander videos in it, check out it:
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/billetofish" target="_blank">RAGE NATION NS2</a>
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    A few times lately I've been playing and the hive upgrades have been bugged. It always happens on the second hive for me, and it's only for one of the upgrades, but they don't show up. So, for example, I couldn't get a Crag hive as my second hive or third hive the other day. The button just disappeared. It sounds like you have a similar bug only much much worse.
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2057804:date=Jan 8 2013, 07:08 AM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TychoCelchuuu @ Jan 8 2013, 07:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057804"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A few times lately I've been playing and the hive upgrades have been bugged. It always happens on the second hive for me, and it's only for one of the upgrades, but they don't show up. So, for example, I couldn't get a Crag hive as my second hive or third hive the other day. The button just disappeared. It sounds like you have a similar bug only much much worse.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was going to suggest that due to this being on the 2nd hive, and 1 upgrade being missing it was probably because you had already upgraded your first hive to that upgrade... quite a common rookie mistake I imagined, then I realized you had <b>TEN THOUSAND</b> posts...

To upgrade a hive you just have to select it and press the upgrade you want...

I am unsure what the problem is: As a regular commander I have never had this problem you may just be accidentally upgrading your hives via hot-keys or trying to upgrade hives before they have finished growing...
    Hahaha I am definitely not a rookie. I played Natural Selection on the day it was released and I've been a fan of it for longer.

Here's how the bug happened the first time: I upgraded my first hive to a Shift hive just fine. I upgraded my second hive to a Crag hive, but when the upgrade finished nothing happened (even though the Crag hive upgrade button disappeared). After that, my third hive couldn't be upgraded to a Crag hive either, even after I upgraded the second to a Shade hive. Even after that second hive (the one I tried to upgrade to Crag) died, I couldn't upgrade the third to a Crag.

I'm not accidentally upgrading hives via hotkeys or trying to upgrade them before they are grown. This was a long game and we had three hives and I couldn't get a Crag hive at all. Later I think I had the same bug, or a similar one where the Crag upgrade didn't even show up in the first place.
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2057942:date=Jan 8 2013, 01:24 PM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TychoCelchuuu @ Jan 8 2013, 01:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057942"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hahaha I am definitely not a rookie. I played Natural Selection on the day it was released and I've been a fan of it for longer.

Here's how the bug happened the first time: I upgraded my first hive to a Shift hive just fine. I upgraded my second hive to a Crag hive, but when the upgrade finished nothing happened (even though the Crag hive upgrade button disappeared). After that, my third hive couldn't be upgraded to a Crag hive either, even after I upgraded the second to a Shade hive. Even after that second hive (the one I tried to upgrade to Crag) died, I couldn't upgrade the third to a Crag.

I'm not accidentally upgrading hives via hotkeys or trying to upgrade them before they are grown. This was a long game and we had three hives and I couldn't get a Crag hive at all. Later I think I had the same bug, or a similar one where the Crag upgrade didn't even show up in the first place.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't get this. Once you select a particular upgrade, and once the hive evolves into that type of hive, nothing else is supposed to happen. Once upgrading to Crag is complete, you have to build shells to give your team regen and carapace abilities. If you go shift hive, once the hive evolves, you have to build spurs to give your team celerity and adrenaline abilities.
    The upgrade to the Crag hive finished but I was not able to build Shells or Crags and even when the hive died I was unable to upgrade a different hive to a Crag hive.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    seem it happen as well

not being able to upgrade to a certain hive type
  • aaronmontoaaronmonto Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 178052Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2057804:date=Jan 7 2013, 11:08 PM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TychoCelchuuu @ Jan 7 2013, 11:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057804"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A few times lately I've been playing and the hive upgrades have been bugged. It always happens on the second hive for me, and it's only for one of the upgrades, but they don't show up. So, for example, I couldn't get a Crag hive as my second hive or third hive the other day. The button just disappeared. It sounds like you have a similar bug only much much worse.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Confirmed. This was the problem I was having (I actually resolved it a couple days ago).
    What a very annoying bug. I run into it about 20% of the time I'm alien commander. Before, it occurred in 3/4 of the games I played, but I've played quite a bit more since and realized that it doesn't happen as often as I thought.

Thanks for the responses guys.
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've seen this bug before, even when you drop a 3rd or 4th hive, you still can't upgrade to the hive type that was bugged - you're essentially left without being able to get upgrades from that evolution path for the entire game. It's the same bug where you drop an arms lab, upgrade to weapons 2 and you're stuck at weapons 1 for the whole game.

Also - turn off commander help in the General settings menu, those annoying icons on top of the hive (and other structures) are removed, making it less likely that you'll accidentally research an upgrade.
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    +1 to the upgrade bug. I've had it happen to me twice and been in several games where the com has complained of the same problem. Very annoying when it's crag you can't get.
  • ChikunChikun Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178729Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've had it happen to me twice. I was able to fix it once by simply getting out of the comm position and re-entering. The second time that didn't seem to work.
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    When this happened someone mentioned that it might be when building 2 hives at the same time.

I don't command much, but does that seem possible?
  • delta78delta78 Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178131Members
    I had a similar problem but with the armory and arm's lab. Not that the upgrades were not shown, but when i clicked on them to be built nothing happened. At least they "fixed themselves" somehow and i managed to upgrade. It looks like the two things may be connected.
  • current1yoldcurrent1yold Join Date: 2012-09-10 Member: 158911Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2062601:date=Jan 18 2013, 09:06 AM:name=delta78)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (delta78 @ Jan 18 2013, 09:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062601"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I had a similar problem but with the armory and arm's lab. Not that the upgrades were not shown, but when i clicked on them to be built nothing happened. At least they "fixed themselves" somehow and i managed to upgrade. It looks like the two things may be connected.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

were the icons red?