Anyone misses the old jetpack and focus?

ZagriveraZagrivera Join Date: 2005-03-24 Member: 46328Members
Hello,

I'm sorry if any of theses topic were already debated to death, I did not find other topics talking about this with the search tool.

I just started putting some hours playing NS2 and I really love the game so far, I feel like i'm playing a better NS1 which is awesome!! I can't wait to write this down and go play :P

There is two things that I miss from NS1 tho, and those two things would be:

<u><b>Jetpack Speed:</b></u>

The first game that I played marines and I saw that I was able to get myself a jetpack I was overcome with joy! But when I started using it I didn't loved it a bit.

- It really seems to me that the jetpacks is really slower than in NS1,they have a much lower vertical speed acceleration. (I felt more in control in NS1)
- Going up ladders (If I remember correctly, in NS1 you were able to climb faster with a jetpack than without)

Maybe it is for balance issue and all or maybe it is just me that is nostalgic of the old style of gameplay and that I need to adjust or maybe i'm totally in error here. I would like your thoughts!

<u><b>The Focus Upgrade For Aliens:</b></u>

This upgrade was awesome, my favorite for the skulk, I loved pairing it with celerity and silence. I will say that i'm not a pro alien player at the moment. As a skulk, I feel like. if I'm a skulk in the later stages of the game, I can pretty much only harass, I cannot compete against armor 3 marines . I feel very weak compared in NS1.

Having focus as a possible ability gave the skulk, well at least for me, a opportunity to help in combats in the later stages of a game. I loved how you had to time your bites and that it used a lot more energy. And if I remember correctly, if you took the focus upgrade, you did less damage to structures compared to a non-focused skulk in the long term. so maybe the commander would ask combat skulks (with focus) to go in combat while harass skulks go, well, harass!.

Maybe this ability would unbalance the whole game?

Theses were Two things I liked more in NS1 than in NS2. I would like to hear what you guys have to say about theses!

Comments

• |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    I really am sad about focus being taken out. When I play skulk I almost never stay in proximity of a marine long enough to do two bites, so focus really did fit my play-style perfectly. I'm not sure of their reasons for removing it. I'm not sure if I can see it being a balance issue. I mean, X damage in Y time or 2X damage in 2Y time. What's the difference right? Well I know it isn't quite that simple, but its not far off. It might be simply because focus doesn't really fit into any of the upgrade paths. It isn't defense, movement or deception oriented, so maybe its just a design choice to not have it? Kinda makes me wish that the whip would become like an upgrade path again, with focus and frenzy being upgrade choices again.

With regards to jetpacks, I actually prefer the current version. In NS1, while they were definitely better, they were just too good, to a silly degree. They had so much control that it felt like you were just flying around in spectator mode, going perfectly in whichever direction you wanted. They were really good in even small corridors, and just insanely good in big open rooms. The current jetpack really is not optimal for in combat use (though it can still be useful in skilled hands) and is better for momentum based travel, suffering when trying to change directions. I also love that forward movement decreases vertical lift, it adds a whole new dimension to its use.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    i basically missed ns1. and all we have back there is a 400 ping server and i can only play gorge or backseat comm on it. really missed optimal med'spamming' an invincible marine.
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    I agree fully with these issues. Really liked the old jetpacks - wish we could see them changed back more to the way they were. I imagine the current jetpacks are designed to discourage teams from just jet jacking in and shooting down a hive easily, but I don't think it was ever such a problem.

Interestingly I think the problem with old jetpacks could be balanced by the addition of focus. Focus would be super awesome I think pretty much everyone agrees with that. The Devs seem to be really against it though due to the classic "this is not ns1" thought process. Its my thought that focus would also make shade first a more viable option, I also think it could possibly fit in the shift tree if they wanted to put something else in shade, but preferably it would be in shade.

I agree that focus would help with the problem of skulks not scaling as well as marines. It would also help buff fades making them more skill based instead of having to make them extra tanky.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    Jetpacks are bad because there is no focus to counter them.

Add both please. :(
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    Jetpacks are stronger vs skulks in ns2 since you only get 2 leaps worth of energy compared to 4-5 in NS1.

Air control feels weaker (you get large upward thrusts while trying to just hover and change direction) and you have less fuel but fade is better in the air than ns1 with shadowsteps and double jumps, plus blink has less acceleration, it's easier to achieve finer movements.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    skulks do need something for later game play, they just dont become viable once marines have jetpacks, flamers etc..
  • PueidistPueidist Join Date: 2007-04-18 Member: 60665Members
    edited January 2013
    focus being taken out was a huge mistake by the devs imo, the "it's not ns1" thought is correct, this game has a LONG way to go before it's even close to ns1 3.2
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2058896:date=Jan 10 2013, 01:17 PM:name=Pueidist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pueidist @ Jan 10 2013, 01:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058896"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->focus being taken out was a huge mistake by the devs imo, the "it's not ns1" thought is correct, this game has a LONG way to go before it's even close to ns1 3.2<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This
  • gnoarchgnoarch Join Date: 2012-08-29 Member: 156802Members, Reinforced - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=2058896:date=Jan 10 2013, 06:17 PM:name=Pueidist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pueidist @ Jan 10 2013, 06:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058896"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->focus being taken out was a huge mistake by the devs imo, the "it's not ns1" thought is correct, this game has a LONG way to go before it's even close to ns1 3.2<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I find this explanation for leaving out focus quite amusing considering that 6 out of the 6 current upgrades existed in NS1 O_o
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    Anybody who misses NS1 jetpacks should try playing on a Classic mod server. The jetpack physics in classic are so much more superior to the NS2 kind, the modders have really done a superb jobmwith them.
  • bongofishbongofish Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19893Members
    I really, really miss focus.

One of the side benefits of focus was that it made you a better skulk. Without being able to spam bites, you actually had to learn to aim.

Hope they bring it back.
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    I like how the jetpack feels more real in NS2, they where way too much controlable in NS1.

There are still formidable butyou can't abuse it like before.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    Focus would be great to see again. As already stated it, it made skulks viable later in the game. Seeing as how aliens don't scale so well compared to the marine tech it should definitely be back in I hope.
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    I would love to see focus back, but even having skulks do more damage depending on movement speed would be helpful late game so leaping in to bite and leaping away would be a viable tactic for more than simple harassment.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    If jetpacks were made any better, the command upgrade would need to cost more and buying it would need to cost in the ~30 res range.
  • ZagriveraZagrivera Join Date: 2005-03-24 Member: 46328Members
    I am happy to see that I wasn't the only one missing these features!

I agree as stated above that if the jetpacks would come close to what they were in NS1, they would need a higher research/buy cost.
    Maybe not make them as powerful as in NS1 but a "in between"?

And yeah, Focus, I miss you!!!

Maybe making the skulks with focus do near to no damage to structures, maybe that would balance it?

Keep sharing your thoughts!
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm a fan of the classic jetpacks, too.

Regarding focus I gotta argue that a new attack mechanic would need to help diversity in that one. The simple click for double damage mode just doesn't fit in the ns2 playstyle in my opinion. Or at least it should feel very different to the basic bite attack.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2059194:date=Jan 11 2013, 03:55 AM:name=whoppaXXL)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (whoppaXXL @ Jan 11 2013, 03:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059194"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm a fan of the classic jetpacks, too.

Regarding focus I gotta argue that a new attack mechanic would need to help diversity in that one. The simple click for double damage mode just doesn't fit in the ns2 playstyle in my opinion. Or at least it should feel very different to the basic bite attack.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Erm... you attack at half speed, so it does feel very different.
    <!--quoteo(post=2059251:date=Jan 11 2013, 08:29 AM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Jan 11 2013, 08:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059251"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Erm... you attack at half speed, so it does feel very different.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Indeed ^^

And If I remember correctly, you could run out of energy with focus in a moderate/long fight so yeah, having focus meant you couldn't bite spam and you wouldn't do much dmg to structures and the most important thing, you had to time your bites!
  • chibimikechibimike Join Date: 2007-09-09 Member: 62232Members
    I miss focus every time I log on NS2 and have to play aliens.
  • KazterKazter Join Date: 2003-08-12 Member: 19481Members, Constellation
    All the time.

Aliens have no way of improving their damage, other than evolving to a different lifeform.

Jetpacks just don't feel right and are too clunky. I enjoyed the JP in NS1, even after all of the nerfs it received throughout the years. I still remember the glory days of indefinitely remaining in the air during the NS1 beta versions.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    edited January 2013
    Now it's more like having a slow jump pack on the back.
    I go and do things faster with a vacuum cleaner.
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I kind of see why focus wasn't kept for NS2. Having an ability that can one-hit marines can be a bit troublesome and you can feel pretty powerless against it. That said, it wasn't overpowered and, if anything, NS2 could do with it more because of the weird bite mechanic, plethora of exos, abundance of field armouries and annoying nano-shielding.
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2059644:date=Jan 12 2013, 07:38 AM:name=Tweadle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweadle @ Jan 12 2013, 07:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059644"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I kind of see why focus wasn't kept for NS2. Having an ability that can one-hit marines can be a bit troublesome and you can feel pretty powerless against it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

*cough cough*

SGs...
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    Based on current marine hp the best case scenario would be parasite + one hit so its not quite 1 hit
    A bit different but I get your point.
  • Paradox043Paradox043 Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178743Members
    edited January 2013
    Jetpacks already feel powerful. Granted I didn't play NS1, but it gives marines the ability to outmaneuver aliens in a fight and it never seems to run out of fuel. By the time you hit the ground, your ready for take-off again. For 15 res its a hell of an advantage.

Also, I 100% agree with bringing back Focus. Really, anything that makes skulks able to fight marines in the late game. If you aren't an Onos or a Fade when they have armor 3, all you can do is harass structures.
    For me, the premise is that turtles suck and that they are endemic in NS2 - I don't really want to contest that. One of the best ways of doing that is replacing the late-game Dexo/Onos bore with the JP/Fade. For the record, I don't care that they're now NS2's hallmark and are in every promotional picture/trailer.

The way NS2 is designed currently too profitable for defensive play in the end-game. Many factors contribute to this: Auto-heal armouries, auto-weld MACs, super-turrets, relentless kham overflow expansion and the fact that infestation/power limits functionality in opposition territory. The big one though is the end-game personal tech; the Dexo and Onos.

Both of these are slow-moving, high-hp, heavy damage units with low in-out effectiveness. On top of that, they are skill-nullifiers. They're impossible to miss and they're impossible to miss with. There is zero dexterity required and success is purely down to decision making. It should come as no surprise that we see cautious stand-off play for long periods of every game, especially in public settings where co-ordination and skill is low.

If we upped the cost and effectiveness of the jetpack, I think we could mitigate (not solve) this problem. Part of the reason why the end-game is so stale is that the important stuff doesn't really die much and that stand-offs occur in the same location for eons. If we saw more jetpacks, we would also see more fades and the jp/fade dynamic is far more interesting. It is quick, it can quickly change location, it comes with more deaths/kills and things can actually go wrong.

In the same vein, I would like to try Focus (as it would speed up the dying stages of a game considerably). It's a real shame, however, that the Fade is built around getting cheap initial swipes though and I'm not sure how this would ultimately pan out.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I agree that JPs should be a bit more responsive, or even give JPs additional upgrades to research such as more fuel and increased acceleration (wern't these planned during the beta?)

As far as focus goes, "double damage at half attack speed" always seemed boring, but extremly useful.

If focus were to be brought back, i would hope it would be along the lines of an additional effect from movement abilities, if only for skulks and fades.

That is, Leap + Bite in midair = 125 damage (75 normal); Blink + Swipe = 125 damage; Shadowstep + Swipe = 150 damage

Onos already has something similar to this in charge (landing a hit at full charge speed = 2x damage)
    <!--quoteo(post=2060247:date=Jan 13 2013, 07:48 PM:name=Benson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benson @ Jan 13 2013, 07:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060247"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree that JPs should be a bit more responsive, or even give JPs additional upgrades to research such as more fuel and increased acceleration (wern't these planned during the beta?)

As far as focus goes, "double damage at half attack speed" always seemed boring, but extremly useful.

If focus were to be brought back, i would hope it would be along the lines of an additional effect from movement abilities, if only for skulks and fades.

That is, Leap + Bite in midair = 125 damage (75 normal); Blink + Swipe = 125 damage; Shadowstep + Swipe = 150 damage

Onos already has something similar to this in charge (landing a hit at full charge speed = 2x damage)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like this!!