Question (mostly towards competitive crowd) regarding Fades

ElectricElectric Join Date: 2013-01-14 Member: 179617Members, Reinforced - Shadow
When I started playing Fade, everyone told me to grab adrenaline instead of celerity, so I could blink more.

I've watched a lot of competitive games though, and aliens usually only have celerity + carapace researched when fades first pop out. My question is, do the competitive players prefer celerity with their fades, or is it as simple as celerity usually being the only shift upgrade researched? If you had the choice of adrenaline/celerity, would you still choose celerity?

Also, does celerity affect shadowstep speed out-of-combat?

Finally, thanks nexzil for your L2P videos! Discovering the shadowstep + double jump movement method blew my mind! I finally have the confidence to fade up instantly at 50 res (although it is stressful to do so without carapace).

Comments

• trentluvtrentluv Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73126Members
    edited January 2013
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2013
    Shadows step is better in terms of energy conservation and with good use of double jump with shadow step it is also faster. Combined with celerity it is superior to adrenaline+blink, but it does take practice. Adrenaline is nothing more then a bigger pool of energy, it doesn't regen faster so the name is misleading (NS1 had it as faster regen, so the name stems from that upgrade)

Carapace is kinda mandatory for Fades to be able to move int and out with a tiny bit less of a risk being shredded by shotties
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2060574:date=Jan 14 2013, 11:02 PM:name=trentluv)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (trentluv @ Jan 14 2013, 11:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060574"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Cara<b>peace</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Fixed, you horrible person.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2060573:date=Jan 14 2013, 05:00 PM:name=Electric)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Electric @ Jan 14 2013, 05:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060573"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When I started playing Fade, everyone told me to grab adrenaline instead of celerity, so I could blink more.

I've watched a lot of competitive games though, and aliens usually only have celerity + carapace researched when fades first pop out. My question is, do the competitive players prefer celerity with their fades, or is it as simple as celerity usually being the only shift upgrade researched? If you had the choice of adrenaline/celerity, would you still choose celerity?

Also, does celerity affect shadowstep speed out-of-combat?

Finally, thanks nexzil for your L2P videos! Discovering the shadowstep + double jump movement method blew my mind! I finally have the confidence to fade up instantly at 50 res (although it is stressful to do so without carapace).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

celery and cara are the way to be, don't listen to anyone saying to get adrenaline, if you need extra energy as fade you are playing it wrong. between shadowstep and double jump you barely have to blink anyways..
  • SkackySkacky Join Date: 2005-06-05 Member: 53189Members
    I always go with Celerity and Carapace too. I don't see the benefit of Adrenaline for the Fade, really. However I pretty much only use Blink and I only use Shadowstep to quickly reach an enemy or combine it with circle strafe, or when I'm forced to use it when Blink is not available. I really find Blink to be a lot faster than Shadowstep, especially when blinking in the air with little and fast impulses; you can get to the other side of the map in no-time and without sacrificing your energy too much if you're careful.
  • IAMKINGIAMKING Join Date: 2012-09-14 Member: 159328Members
    celerity increases walk speed from 7.2 to 10.5, but it gets reduced as soon as you attack or get hit.

it does not increase shadow step speed

it does not increase blink speed

it arguably increases shadow step + blink speed, but it's barely noticeable and the extra 1-2 units of speed disappear almost instantly

those who say "if you fade properly, you don't need adrenaline" are full of ######. there are a lot of things you can do with adrenaline like giving you a lot more leeway against jetpackers. There are also more energy-intensive styles of attack (such as jump/ss/swipe repeatedly) that will drain energy pretty fast.
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2060608:date=Jan 14 2013, 06:09 PM:name=IAMKING)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IAMKING @ Jan 14 2013, 06:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060608"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->celerity increases walk speed from 7.2 to 10.5, but it gets reduced as soon as you attack or get hit.

it does not increase shadow step speed

it does not increase blink speed

it arguably increases shadow step + blink speed, but it's barely noticeable and the extra 1-2 units of speed disappear almost instantly

those who say "if you fade properly, you don't need adrenaline" are full of ######. there are a lot of things you can do with adrenaline like giving you a lot more leeway against jetpackers. There are also more energy-intensive styles of attack (such as jump/ss/swipe repeatedly) that will drain energy pretty fast.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This, for the parts that are true.

I fade sparingly for ScM and while I don't really care enough to best vested in one or the other, if I had a choice... I choose adrenaline. I only use Blink in a couple capacities, mainly "catch jetpacker" or "escape very quickly" tool. I'm a fairly klutzy player and always having that extra bit of energy is really beneficial when I slip up a bit.

My Fade play is sloppy, but not wrong. I don't use Blink much, I just like having the security blanket. Especially since Celerity shuts off in combat. If it stayed up in combat, it wouldn't even be close; I choose Celerity.
  • nsguynsguy Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69869Members
    I choose adrenaline. I have found it to be far more useful for the Fade than celerity. To each his own, I suppose.
  • umphreyumphrey Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165280Members
    Always celerity. Regen is good when the other team isn't that good, or not that smart (to counter with shotties). Otherwise, against a decent opponent, carapace is pretty important. But in PUGs I'll usually go regen for the higher risk/reward.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    I've used celerity and adrenaline, and there isn't much worse than realizing that you are out of energy just as a few shotguns roll in.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited January 2013
    Adrenaline > celerity for fade. Celerity adds out of combat mobility, which doesn't really matter since the fade is so mobile out of combat anyway. Mostly celerity just gives fades an annoyingly loud ambient noise.

Adrenaline, while not necessary for very good fade play, raises the skill floor for non-perfect fades (IE everyone). It gives you more leeway to dodge in combat. Even though health is usually the limiting factor in combat, this extra energy gives you more room for mistakes in your movement.

In comp games, you'll often see fades take celerity primarily because some players think celerity is better (because adrenaline is 'just 100 extra energy and you don't need it') or because it is the only upgrade available if res is tight.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Adrenaline fade promotes pretty spammy gameplay, which some may call more 'skillful' its hardly skillful spamming shadowstep left and right while attacking. While adren does allow you to perform more iterations of certain advanced movement tricks that are somewhat skillful, its hardly needed if your actually decent at navigating the map and avoiding obstacles while using shadowstep. The current fade IMO has way to many instant win buttons against all but above average marines... Most cannot target shadowstepping fades accurately, and even most competitive players I have seen do not even know where best to shoot a fade in blink as the effect is somewhat misplaced. Its only real weakness its its relatively low hp which makes it prone to near instant deaths.

As I have said before a major problem with the fade is how shadowstep is a purely evasive skill, yet has an extremely low energy cost. Shadowstep should have a vastly increased cost (and inherent celerity bonuses like it used to along with blink), and blink should be tweaked to be less heavy/more of the primary movement mechanic. Blink's effect should also be adjusted to show the entire model, and just make it somewhat more shadowy.
    I use only celerity and I pretty much never run out of energy unless I want to (hold down blink to leave a room). You just have to get used to using blink like a semi automatic pistol and shadow step as your primary movement.
    <!--quoteo(post=2060663:date=Jan 14 2013, 10:39 PM:name=umphrey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (umphrey @ Jan 14 2013, 10:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060663"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I use only celerity and I pretty much never run out of energy unless I want to (hold down blink to leave a room). You just have to get used to using blink like a semi automatic pistol and shadow step as your primary movement.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Why do you use celerity if there's no benefit to using it at all?
    <!--quoteo(post=2060669:date=Jan 14 2013, 09:50 PM:name=IAMKING)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IAMKING @ Jan 14 2013, 09:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060669"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why do you use celerity if there's no benefit to using it at all?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because there's a huge benefit? It makes me faster than the marines even when I'm not SS or blinking.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Any good fade player learns how to use any of the upgrades, because its rare that you get your preferred upgrades in a competitive match. Celerity has become a popular fade upgrade because its more useful before you get blink, which can take quite a while in a tightly contested match. As such, its more helpful to learn how to celerity+shadowstep than adren+blink because the former is more common in comp matches.
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2060671:date=Jan 14 2013, 10:53 PM:name=umphrey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (umphrey @ Jan 14 2013, 10:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060671"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because there's a huge benefit? It makes me faster than the marines even when I'm not SS or blinking.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    when are you ever not shadow stepping or blinking? the only time celerity does anything is when you're walking around not doing anything

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Any good fade player learns how to use any of the upgrades, because its rare that you get your preferred upgrades in a competitive match. Celerity has become a popular fade upgrade because its more useful before you get blink, which can take quite a while in a tightly contested match. As such, its more helpful to learn how to celerity+shadowstep than adren+blink because the former is more common in comp matches.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    you do realize celerity has no effect on shadowstep, right? A fade that knows what he's doing will essentially never take advantage of celerity
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2060681:date=Jan 14 2013, 08:19 PM:name=IAMKING)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IAMKING @ Jan 14 2013, 08:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060681"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you do realize celerity has no effect on shadowstep, right? A fade that knows what he's doing will essentially never take advantage of celerity<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> I actually prefer to close distance with celerity since its quieter than shadowstep. Only once I've made contact do I prefer shadowstep.
  • flyjumflyjum Join Date: 2012-01-07 Member: 139849Members
    Adrenaline + Carapace if there is a forward shift on the map(if you have shift hive you should have a forward shift)

Example would be Pipeline hive and a shift in C12
    or
    Cave hive and shift in deposit or central
    or
    Locker hive and shift in onos bar

You should always be aware where the shifts are if you are playing fade

Celerity + Carapace if there is no forward shift
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    I imagine 9/10 teams stick with cele/cara because they'd rather save res for more potential fade eggs or save for third hive/onos eggs and spending 30 tres on adren doesn't give that big an advantage in 6v6 to enough people.

But in pubs with 8v8+ players, I always wait out until adren, use double jump and SS to get around the map and in most fights and only use blink as a "oh ######" situation or when taking on 3 or more marines. Adren enables you to stay around on a map longer and be a threat longer which I think is needed in pubs, in scrims it's a lot more organised, you're attacking with drifters and 4+/6 people every time.

SS is currently the fastest way to move in the game and cele has no effect on it, it will only help you move slightly faster as you walk along the ground for 0.5-2 seconds to align your next SS.
  • piratedavepiratedave Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148561Members
    real pro fades dont really need either upgrade

anyone that tells you adren or cele is better, is probably not that skilled
  • PhOeNiX4PhOeNiX4 Join Date: 2004-08-26 Member: 30912Members
    cele > adren

cele is better than current incarnation of adren on skulk/gorge/lerk/fade/onos & in a pcw setting there is no point in getting adren after you've already researched cele.

Shadowstep.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2060768:date=Jan 15 2013, 03:13 AM:name=piratedave)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (piratedave @ Jan 15 2013, 03:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060768"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->real pro fades dont really need either upgrade

anyone that tells you adren or cele is better, is probably not that skilled<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Real men play without a monitor, with a USB port plugged in their ass instead of a keyboard.

Personally, I prefer adrenaline/carapace if blink is available. Without blink, adrenaline is useless.

I'm no comp player but I do decently in pubs.
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    I have yet to see a good argument for celerity. If you know how to fade, you shadowstep jump around the entire map 100% of the time, thus you gain nothing from celerity except for maybe a tiny bit of extra speed if you overshoot your first shadowstep before you get hit or hit a marine.

Adren on the otherhand gives you a ton of extra blink.

That said in most even competitive games you may not have adrenaline for a long time, but I always get it if its available.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2060803:date=Jan 15 2013, 01:05 PM:name=statikg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (statikg @ Jan 15 2013, 01:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060803"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have yet to see a good argument for celerity. If you know how to fade, you shadowstep jump around the entire map 100% of the time, thus you gain nothing from celerity except for maybe a tiny bit of extra speed if you overshoot your first shadowstep before you get hit or hit a marine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd love to see some footage in an actual game of a player moving through the map without walking more than a single pace out of combat.

I like Cara Celerity because I don't ever find the need for the extra energy pool. Celerity is very useful for times when you want to move while letting energy recharge to 100% just before you engage or when you want to move through a tight spot where you have to stop using Shadowstep.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2060804:date=Jan 15 2013, 09:26 AM:name=Desther)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Desther @ Jan 15 2013, 09:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060804"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd love to see some footage in an actual game of a player moving through the map without walking more than a single pace out of combat.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=P3XMb1VuA-I#t=804s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...Mb1VuA-I#t=804s</a>

The times you do move without ss or blink don't matter, it's just you waiting for your energy to regen. Adren is great even if you have to wait twice as long to regenerate all of your energy, but in a real game with shifts around it's obviously the best choice for a fade. Celerity is next to useless, almost all the time.
  • mushookeesmushookees Join Date: 2008-03-26 Member: 63967Members
    i dont think competitive players care which shift upgrade they get. They are both pretty useless for the fade when played at that level.

however i prefer adrenaline for pubbing :)
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2060817:date=Jan 15 2013, 02:12 PM:name=NeoRussia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoRussia @ Jan 15 2013, 02:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060817"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=P3XMb1VuA-I#t=804s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...Mb1VuA-I#t=804s</a>

The times you do move without ss or blink don't matter, it's just you waiting for your energy to regen. Adren is great even if you have to wait twice as long to regenerate all of your energy, but in a real game with shifts around it's obviously the best choice for a fade. Celerity is next to useless, almost all the time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

An on an official map? Not really the same when the map is that open.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2060842:date=Jan 15 2013, 11:45 AM:name=Desther)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Desther @ Jan 15 2013, 11:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060842"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->An on an official map? Not really the same when the map is that open.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would show fade gameplay on an official map but I don't have any recorded. You should stay moving even more on an official map because you will either get caught out of position and killed or you don't have far to go to regen.
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2060804:date=Jan 15 2013, 05:26 AM:name=Desther)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Desther @ Jan 15 2013, 05:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060804"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd love to see some footage in an actual game of a player moving through the map without walking more than a single pace out of combat.

I like Cara Celerity because I don't ever find the need for the extra energy pool. Celerity is very useful for times when you want to move while letting energy recharge to 100% just before you engage or when you want to move through a tight spot where you have to stop using Shadowstep.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe you are relying too heavily on shadowstep and not using blink enough in combat then, blink is an awesome tool for dodging as vertical movement is much more difficult to track then the horizontal movement offered by shadowstep alone. In a larger battle the first fade into the room has to dodge quite hard and then if you have adrenaline you will be in a better position to use blink. Also as people above said, blink is helpful for when you just mess up.

Of course you will take some steps here and there, but the impact of celerity on a couple of steps when you make 95% of your movement with shadowstep is negligible.