Erratic and Laggy/Delayed Movement

SchmokeSchmoke Join Date: 2013-01-20 Member: 180807Members
Hi all,

Been Getting this problem for about a week now, its not constant and seems to trigger randomly.

When trying to move around, the controls seem to have a delayed reaction time, and often move in the desired direction much further than would be normal.
Sometimes the controls become almost completely unresponsive and only work occasionally, for example: if i strafed left, right, moved forward and then backwards, and then jumped, only the right strafe would respond after a few seconds.

The only way I've found to solve the issue, is close NS2, Close Steam, and restart both.

The issue does not seem to be lag related as I have stable pings when its occurring.
FPS are sitting at around 40-50 while in GFX settings menu.

Thx for your time, Please help.

Comments

• SchmokeSchmoke Join Date: 2013-01-20 Member: 180807Members
    A small update.

Just played a game as aliens, the movement issue started about 15 seconds into the game.

I was unable to move, but pressing 'B' to try evolve would move me forward a small distance, as if holding the 'W' key for a second..
  • FunkyMikeFunkyMike Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167455Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2063675:date=Jan 20 2013, 06:00 AM:name=Schmoke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Schmoke @ Jan 20 2013, 06:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063675"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hi all,

Been Getting this problem for about a week now, its not constant and seems to trigger randomly.

When trying to move around, the controls seem to have a delayed reaction time, and often move in the desired direction much further than would be normal.
    Sometimes the controls become almost completely unresponsive and only work occasionally, for example: if i strafed left, right, moved forward and then backwards, and then jumped, only the right strafe would respond after a few seconds.

The only way I've found to solve the issue, is close NS2, Close Steam, and restart both.

The issue does not seem to be lag related as I have stable pings when its occurring.
    FPS are sitting at around 40-50 while in GFX settings menu.

Thx for your time, Please help.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have the same issue. It only started recently. On some maps I would just simply start rubber banding. My FPS and my ping is the same. Nothing has changed in terms of drivers etc.

Rubber banding would be the easiest way to describe it. I deleted my shaders and will see if that helps. Turning off Multicore rendering seems to help a bit but also make the game slower.
  • argenexargenex Join Date: 2013-01-23 Member: 181542Members
    Just started playing this game and I have the same issue.

I have a 20+mbps connection and I have zero issues in MANY games what so ever.

So something funky is going on.

It makes it really hard to even learn to play as it often happens during combat and you just return to the game dead.

It is completely inconsistant, random, and makes playing a multi-player game intolerable.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    This is probably the quality of the server you are playing on.
    There are demanding requirements to run a server.
    Type "net_stats 1" in the console to see "Server Tick rate" if its less than 20 expect odd things like this. Maybe find s better server if this happens.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    You might want to record a "timedemo" of that. I think you type "record <something>" in console before you join a server. Then submit the demo to brian or someone to look at. It sounds really weird from the way you're describing it. I don't think I've seen that before. I do get the occasional "hitching" from the game especially after it's been running for a while but I don't think that's what you're describing.
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2065836:date=Jan 24 2013, 03:47 AM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Jan 24 2013, 03:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2065836"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is probably the quality of the server you are playing on.
    There are demanding requirements to run a server.
    Type "net_stats 1" in the console to see "Server Tick rate" if its less than 20 expect odd things like this. Maybe find s better server if this happens.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is most probably the cause of the issue... Some servers often go in and out of these low tick rate "waves". This can cause all sorts of things such as rubber banding or the server not picking up key inputs. This is obviously irrelevant of your ping or fps. Try using the "net_stats" command when your experiencing these problems to see if it's just the server or something else.