Rifle Skins - First Person vs Third Person

CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
When I use the excellent <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=107471985" target="_blank">e_X_w Rifle</a> I see the new skin in my own first-person view, but I don't see any other marines carrying it - they are all still using the standard rifle. This is true whether I'm looking at them while playing or while spectating.

By contrast, when I use the TOTALLY AWESOME <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=108036236" target="_blank">Hello Kitty Rifle</a> I see it both in my own hands and in the hands of all other marines, both while playing and while spectating.

This is exactly backwards from what I would like to see happen. I'd like to see all other marines carrying the e_X_w Rifle while simultaneously seeing my own rifle in first person as the HK Rifle.

Can anyone explain why the two mods have different behavior from each other, and tell me what I need to do to make them work the way I'd like them to?

Comments

• twostrokertwostroker Join Date: 2012-02-09 Member: 144573Members
    Thats because the creator of the mod didnt change the thirdperson files..

its 3 extra files to change permodel
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    Ah, okay, thanks! I'll ask aageon on his workshop page if maybe he could create the other files and update his mods with them. I'm sure it's a lot of work, but if he decides to do it I think it would really make the game look better!

As far as the HK rifle goes... In the HK mod folder I see the files:

* rifle.dds
    * rifle_view.dds

So I'm guessing if I want to NOT see everyone else running around with a pink rifle, I just need to delete the rifle.dds file.

... okay, I just now tested that, and yes, that worked! I suppose that if the mod ever gets updated then Steam Workshop will install that file again, but at least for now it works.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    It's a workshop mod, so if you delete a file it will redownload it once you restart NS2
  • Thr3xThr3x Join Date: 2013-01-02 Member: 177135Members
    edited January 2013
    Just combine the two? use the HK Mod rifle_view.dds and rifle_view_illum.dds. This will change the first person view only. Now take the e_X_w Rifle files which should be rifle.dds and rifle_illum.dds. And this will change the rifle you see on other people.

btw! You can find the files under %Appdata% / Natural Selection 2 / Workshop .

The folder names have numbernames so I suggest going through them all checking which one is which to be sure and then put the combined files that you put together from above inside your steam/common folder. Dont forget to turn rifle mods etc. off in the Menu in ns2

Hope this makes sense at all
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I was able to figure out how to piece together my own cosmetic mod using the parts I liked from others.