When dropping meds

Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
Is it possible to never click on a marine? It's quite frustrating trying to med someone, and having to med just next to them and hope they don't run the other way because you are unable to click directly on them without getting marine options instead.

Comments

• CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    I rarely med, if I do its because it isn't:

Early game
    A skulk fight
    A skirmish over an inconsequential area

When I do med it is because it is:
    Near an important area
    After a small skirmish and the marine survives
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I like to make sure my marines live while fighting...so usually drop a few meds when they get swarmed. Maybe you don't need to in 12v12 games, but in 6v6 meds everywhere are crucial.
  • ShinoShino Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173316Members
    Test it out in practice games.

The only 100% true advice I can give you is to make sure that the marine is near the middle of your screen. Playing commander is like looking at a sphere, stretched out to a 2D plane. If you try sending a medpack in the corner of your screen, it will literally fall down into some random ass room a mile away from your target.

Other than that, it's mostly subjective. Personally, I found that you should aim your medpacks near the neck/back of the marine. Then, when your marine is dodging, guess the direction he will go and drop it on him there. If there's one skulk, you can usually wait for the skulk to bite, then drop (1-2) medpacks depending on their armor. If it's multiple skulks, you have no choice but to spam (Assuming you want to keep those marines alive)

I asked a competitive player how he drops medpacks and he said he aims for people's feet.

Just try it out, practice, find what's good for you. The only advise I'd give everybody is to have them near the center of the screen.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Yeah, I've gotten pretty good at it, when I'm spamming the crap out of someone though (up to 10 meds), it's annoying that I miss so many just because I can't drop them on the marine directly =/
    edited January 2013
    EDIT: Servers too slow, double post D:
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Try dropping the med on the outside of the marine's "circle". I've found that's the best way to not click on them. Its a little frustrating to be medspamming and not be able to drop that last med because you clicked on them though.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Join Date: 2003-09-12 Member: 20796Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2066400:date=Jan 25 2013, 11:27 AM:name=CommunistWithAGun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CommunistWithAGun @ Jan 25 2013, 11:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066400"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I rarely med, if I do its because it isn't:

Early game
    A skulk fight
    A skirmish over an inconsequential area

When I do med it is because it is:
    Near an important area
    After a small skirmish and the marine survives<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Eh, every fight is over a consequential area if your marines aren't super cowards -- because after they live through that fight they're going to push forward and control the next room.

The factors that matter are your income (medpacks are super costly on 2 nodes, but pretty trivial at 5) and who you're medding (medding an isolated newbie is throwing away resources while medding anyone near an expert player (even if that's not the guy being bit) will result in a fight being won.)

Winning fights and <i>doing </i>the attacking to structures rather than <i>reacting </i>to attacks is rather crucial to marine victory.

As for the OP, you just have to lead your marines and not overdo it too much (if you miss you have to balance the value of placing more meds vs. letting the player skillfully strafe back around to the unused med)
    Yeah, not always possible for marines to do that sadly =/ Oh well, forever doomed to place imperfect medkits.