abusing f4 (not aliens)

Arkahm719Arkahm719 Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151988Members
edited January 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
So I was playing on the KKG server, love it by the way, and there was this player who went by the name <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->*snip*<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->. He wasnt bad he was a good shot, but then we started to notice almost everytime we went to kill him he would disappear everytime. I only had one explanation other than cheating, but it was a script possibly that quickly f4ed and then would spam j1 or j2 to whatever team he was. and since rejoining keeps your res and stats he wasnt losing out anything.

wasnt a huge deal he still would have to repsawn but it was stupid and annoying.

And this is why I think if you f4 you shouldnt be able to rejoin the same team for like 30 seconds or something and maybe your res should go back to starting amount of 20

and get rid of the whole KD ratio in the tab menu, just keep the score of overall points

Comments

• kingkrabbe.#bofkingkrabbe.#bof Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162892Members
    I can see that this script/behaviour is some kind of abuse IF players coming in from readyroom respawn faster than already-in-team players.

If that's not the point and the player is only keeping his death to a minimum... I don't care about that.

We could argue about the removal of K/D statistics (I like them, but it's a team game and after the win you can't see who was the best, so why not remove it?)

BUT adding any kind of penalty for readyroom joiners seems bad to me. Have to pee? Go to readyroom and lose all you res/wait for X time to rejoin OR idle ingame, lose nothing (maybe the game due to team inbalance) and be an annoyance for your team.
  • Arkahm719Arkahm719 Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151988Members
    It wasnt affecting the game it was just stupid everytime I go to finish the guy he would disappear. The KD ratio should go because youre right its a team game, your score is pointless its a win or lose game
  • hankyhanky Join Date: 2011-08-28 Member: 118944Members
    Yeah don't think you should be penalized for f4ing. If you need to change sides due to balance you should keep your res, your doing the game a favor by evening the teams.

Maybe a penalty for doing it so often.
  • EmooEmoo Ibasa Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11198Members
    Seen this a few times. But given that KD means bugger all if they want to stroke their fraudulent e-peen they can.
  • kubiackubiac Join Date: 2012-04-14 Member: 150457Members
    Looks like someone figured out how to use redemption for NS2
  • VitdomVitdom Join Date: 2012-04-30 Member: 151345Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    I've experienced this two times. It's pretty confusing. It should be added so that if an alive player leaves the marine or alien team, the player is killed/dies.
  • ChizzlerChizzler Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177532Members
    You don't keep your weapons do you? Soo if anything he was doing the aliens a favor...he was basically dead and he removed any weapon he was carrying from the map, teammates can't pick it up. He probably just wants a good K:D ratio despite it's meaningless and i can't see it being a problem for anyone that doesn't care about the K:D ratio which i hope is most players. No penalty or time lock needed.
  • fodder008fodder008 Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167431Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Maybe every player gets one team switch "token." This means that they can f4 and rejoin a team once per game. After that you make them wait in the ready room for a longer and longer cool down time.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2067592:date=Jan 27 2013, 07:51 PM:name=fodder008)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fodder008 @ Jan 27 2013, 07:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2067592"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe every player gets one team switch "token." This means that they can f4 and rejoin a team once per game. After that you make them wait in the ready room for a longer and longer cool down time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Or don't worry about it, seeing as it doesn't matter.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    The only change I think should be implemented here is that f4ing while alive should show up as a death in the scoreboard. OK it would still deprive the opponent of a kill, but I can't really see anyone caring about that, even among the people who would try to cheese their deaths.

Actually "abusing" this feature like the OP describes is purely self detrimental. You lose your weapons/lifeforms if any and your teammates cannot retrieve those weapons and you give up on your opportunity to kill the enemies attacking you, however slim the chance.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Loses shotgun/jetpack/whatever they have on them, with NO chance of getting it back, unlike if you die.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    I see this more often in combat so they never give XP to the enemy team, people either bind F4 to their mouse key or press it before death and re join.

In normal I thought this thread was about marines F4ing and going spec to find all alien structures and joining back in but I guess it's frustrating being F4'd on after you travel half the map to stop the rambo taking out upgrades.
  • UzverUzver Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172632Members, Reinforced - Silver
    I sometimes do this trick and no scripts are required - just bind keys. For example you stomped by onos and you costs 0 res - what is a point to wait when onos finishes you and wait for the black screen of death? You already died - just rejoin and respawn quickly. If committing suicide will skips the black screen of death - I will use "kill" command instead of rejoin.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    edited January 2013
    Yesterday, after being told that I would lose my res after F4ing, and adamantly denying it, I decided to show just how confident I was in the res conserving mechanism, and F4d with 100 res.

And I never bought an exo again.
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    Really? I thought if you F4'd to balance teams you kept your PRES?
  • SherlockSherlock Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168595Members
    If auto-balance is on, then you keep your pres whilst switching.

If you go back to the ready room and join either team when auto-balance isn't on, you get reset to 20.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2067493:date=Jan 27 2013, 09:46 PM:name=Arkahm719)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arkahm719 @ Jan 27 2013, 09:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2067493"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So I was playing on the KKG server, love it by the way, and there was this player who went by the name <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->*snip*<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->. He wasnt bad he was a good shot, but then we started to notice almost everytime we went to kill him he would disappear everytime. I only had one explanation other than cheating, but it was a script possibly that quickly f4ed and then would spam j1 or j2 to whatever team he was. and since rejoining keeps your res and stats he wasnt losing out anything.

wasnt a huge deal he still would have to repsawn but it was stupid and annoying.

And this is why I think if you f4 you shouldnt be able to rejoin the same team for like 30 seconds or something and maybe your res should go back to starting amount of 20

and get rid of the whole KD ratio in the tab menu, just keep the score of overall points<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Pointless Discussion...
    If he press F4 and his team is full, he can not join again.
    And he is not abusing it, it is part of the game.
    In NaSe 1 was a script which said something like " you can not go to ready room, you are in a team" or something.
    Yes it can be annyoing but crying in the forums about this user is pointless, he will not change.
    Contact the admin of the server and maybe he will use some RR-Blocking-script.
    I would like some script like that, but more anyyoing then these F4 people are people who join a game and leave after they get killed or after one minute...
  • UzverUzver Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172632Members, Reinforced - Silver
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2067799:date=Jan 28 2013, 06:27 PM:name=Sherlock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sherlock @ Jan 28 2013, 06:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2067799"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->when auto-balance isn't on, you get reset to 20.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    But sometimes it resets to 20 when you just rejoin to the same team. Don't found a reason.
  • kingkrabbe.#bofkingkrabbe.#bof Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162892Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2067766:date=Jan 28 2013, 02:45 AM:name=|strofix|)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (|strofix| @ Jan 28 2013, 02:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2067766"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yesterday, after being told that I would lose my res after F4ing, and adamantly denying it, I decided to show just how confident I was in the res conserving mechanism, and F4d with 100 res.

And I never bought an exo again.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wait, what? You lose all your PRES when you go to Readyroom? Makes no sense to me. Could you abuse this (p.e. buy a shotgun, have 0 PRES, die, F4 and back, 20 PRES again)?
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    i hope his whole team does it,
    go for hivepush and win

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nxCqAYnLLQ&t=0m50s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nxCqAYnLLQ&t=0m50s</a>