Welcome to the new Unknown Worlds Forums!

Comments

• IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Join Date: 2003-06-11 Member: 17261Members, Vanilla
    Just paste the YouTube link.

@TychoCelchuuu looks like a ton of stuff is missing or broken in Opera. Open the site in Chrome or Safari and see what you're missing.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    I'm missing these forums if they don't work in Opera, basically. The browser follows standards just fine, as far as I know, and it's up to websites like the UWE forums to uphold their end of the bargain.
  • IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Join Date: 2003-06-11 Member: 17261Members, Vanilla
    Seems to be working fine for me in Opera 12.12
    Confirm?
  • CoTTonCoTTon Join Date: 2005-02-28 Member: 42773Members
    Can this be the default layout?

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/categories

That or put a link somewhere for it
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    Confirm?
    Yep, working fine now! Dunno if you changed something or not but now the login button works and clicking on things in the little profile thing works fine too. Thanks!

And yeah Categories should be the default layout - I'm not sure why anyone would ever use the current default.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    post date: right now i just says December 2012

is it possible to print out the exact date and maybe time?

thx :)
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    @derWalter If you hover your mouse over any date, it will show the exact date and time.
  • BigImpBigImp Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75036Members, NS2 Playtester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Looks great and loads fast!

Forum requests:
    - Please re-add the ability to search a single forum (e.g. I'm trying to find a post in the mapping forum but having a really hard time).
    - Please summarize search results, and give the option to view only topics instead of posts in the results.

Anyway, great work, and thanks!
    So I'm not quite sure what's causing it but twice now I've tried to reply to this thread and when I hit "Post Reply" my post disappears like it's been posted, but it doesn't show up. Not sure what the issue is - some sort of double post prevention thing, maybe?
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    @tychocelchuuu Fixed. Our new spam filter is grabbing some false positives right now until it learns (or so I hope).
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    edited January 2013
    That works for people who know how to get there but navigating this site more then a bit unintuitive, please consider alterations.

Comprox wrote: »
    @tychocelchuuu Fixed. Our new spam filter is grabbing some false positives right now until it learns (or so I hope).
    Awesome!

Someone pointed out somewhere that if you hover over the time on a post it gives you the full time + date info - any reason not to just display that all?

The little line that separates signatures from the rest of a post is pretty hard to see on my screen. Maybe it could be brighter or darker or thicker or something?

Is the drafts feature enabled? When I'm typing this it says it has saved a draft but I can't find out how to get to my drafts at all.
  • deathmongerdeathmonger Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153953Members
    I like the new design a lot, good work!
  • MirekMirek Join Date: 2009-05-27 Member: 67494Members, Reinforced - Gold
    The new forum looks great. Its a bit buggy at times but im certain that will be fixed in the future ;)

Is there a way to change the time settings ? Im from germany and it would be nice to have european time format and maybe a time converter.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited January 2013
    Confirm?
    Yep, working fine now! Dunno if you changed something or not but now the login button works and clicking on things in the little profile thing works fine too. Thanks!

And yeah Categories should be the default layout - I'm not sure why anyone would ever use the current default.

I agree that it would be nice if we could edit our forum options to make categories default when clicking general/home forums. Would be nice if we could see dev posts on top when looking at the categories version like in the default one.

And is there a way to turn off auto draft? I sometimes write something but decide not to post and come back to see what I previously typed is still there and cannot remove it.

Also, If you dismiss a thread is there a way you can un-dismiss it?

Lastly, I tried re uploading another gif and found it did not work. The older avatar gif I use to have does not animate either. So I assume they are disabled unless you had one uploaded?

• rhombusrhombus Lerk Queen Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106055Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2013
    Awesome job guys. Is there a way to just delete the avatar without having to upload one? Didn't find it in the settings and honestly mine looks like crap when blown up ;)
  • Lt.RealnessLt.Realness Join Date: 2004-03-17 Member: 27379Members
    I really like the new design! Good job on that! It might take some time to get used to it =)
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
  • DustehDusteh Join Date: 2011-07-25 Member: 112142Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    Looks great!

Doesn't work on my iPhone though (Google chrome app) which is primarily how I view the forums.
    Not sure if this has been mentioned already?
    @rhombus Since this forum doesn't use offsite avatars, and most of the imported ones are offsite, it can't tell you have an avatar right now. Since nothing is hosted by the forum, it can't 'delete' it. You will need to upload something, even just a 1x1 gif to get the forum to know you have it. Then you can delete it.

@zefram Social stuff has not been set up yet. I should hide that for now. Thanks.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited January 2013
    I don't like the new avatar size. It blows the left side of the screen way out of proportion for what little benefit it gives. And many people seem to use the annoyingly colorful default avatars anyway (and animated GIF avatars should go straight to hell). The right side of the avatar box takes up way too much space too, which makes it a bit uncomfortable to start reading closer to the center of the screen, since the eye has to refocus at the start of every new line of text and see where it actually starts.

The font size of the reply box is too large as well. You can't write large amounts of text without having to manually resize the box or scrolling.
    Furthermore does the quick reply lack some useful buttons that it had in the previous version of the forum, like adding lists with bullet points.
    The smiley selection box is overlapping with the text box and can get in your way if you want to select text in that corner.
    And why does the "Options" button for a post only appear if you hover over it? It is only available for your own posts (unless you are a moderator, I assume), so making it display by default on your post would seem logical. And given that it only houses the "edit" option for every normal user anyway, that little gear button should go completely in that case and be replaced with a proper edit button on your own post. Saves us one additional click.

The edit functionality also seems to be pretty broken, since it doesn't offer any of the options of the reply box. Not even an option to go into "advanced editing mode". You can really only type plain text once you go into editing a post.

The numbers for accessing different pages of a thread seem to have a really weird font. It looks really squished, making it harder to read. That font style in general (like the one used for the "LEAVE A COMMENT" notice) is not all that readable in general.

Signatures should be more visibly separated from the rest of the post. Some guys here have signatures that are easily confused for parts of the post, for instance if they only consist of a quote.

The forum overview has some readability problems too. There are too many elements that are completely irrelevant yet the center of attention:
    -Bright white text on grey background that says "webbed" or "closed". If anything, those sticky threads should be set back a bit rather than be placed so prominently, since you have to see them every single time you read in the forum despite already knowing what they are all about. The new and constantly updated threads deserve the attention, not some announcements.
    -Those avatars don't add anything to the forum overview. I see what you tried to do with it (the human brain perceives images quicker than text), but the result seems to be suboptimal. There is only a handful of people with recognisable avatars, so the name is still more important than the images. The images add an additional layer of information that the eye has to perceive but without gaining much insight from it.
    -Important information is scattered across the entire screen, due to the forum's flexible width. The bigger your screen is, the more distance your eye has to cross from identifying a topic name to seeing when the last time was that something was posted in that topic.
    -The number of views is not as important as the number of replies to a topic. But both are hard to relate to an individual topic due to the automatic size and you can't tell which is which other by the size of the number and it's position, since the only explanation is at the top of the fixed header. The font size of the numbers is scaled up too high and conflicts with the style of the other text.

To add something constructive to the criticism: here I pointed out some common design principles in modern forums these days, based on the latest vBulletin version.
    http://i.imgur.com/qBZB5oo.jpg

And if it was for me, all this social stuff would be just disabled. No serious forum that I know about has Karma stuff enabled, since it's a gimmicky features that promotes posts that comply to a mainstream opinion and punishes those that tend to disagree. (And no, the Steampowered User Forums are not a serious place, but even they knew to limit the system so that you can only give people positive reputation but not negative one, since that would promote even more trolling and flaming than what is already going on there.)
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    The new forums seem to auto-enable displaying your email address in your profile - is that intended?

edit: It may just have been me =[
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Shaker wrote: »
    The new forums seem to auto-enable displaying your email address in your profile - is that intended?

edit: It may just have been me =[

It's default on for some reason, you have to go in and click the option to hide it.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    CrushaK wrote: »

Signatures should be more visibly separated from the rest of the post. Some guys here have signatures that are easily confused for parts of the post, for instance if they only consist of a quote.

This is actually a complaint I posted in another thread. After much staring there is a divider but it is 1 pixel thick and black... against a dark gray background.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2013
    Edit: Ok, so my first post did work! Now, this is my second post. And a mangled post!
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Industry wrote: »

Please don't tell Flayra, he may fire me!!
  • uffouffo Join Date: 2003-05-03 Member: 16026Members
    Otherwise swell but some of the fonts are really awfull. In general I don't like many different font styles on single page, makes it harder to read.
    @shaker This should be defaulted to off now

@industry They added a more obvious separation
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    rhombus wrote: »
    Awesome job guys. Is there a way to just delete the avatar without having to upload one? Didn't find it in the settings and honestly mine looks like crap when blown up ;)

Some avatars look really bad because the old forum resized the pictures smaller and now the new forum took the same smaller images and made them bigger. You can try to re-upload it.