New Review - Another 60 for "complexity"

PhadePhade Join Date: 2012-10-03 Member: 161376Members
LATEst NS2 review from Thunderbolt Games: thunderboltgames.com/reviews/article/natural-selection-2-review-for-pc.html

Like the original GameSpot review it scores a 60 mainly for it's "complexity" and having an "incredibly high" bar to entry.

Surely if you can play any FPS you can jump into NS2 as a marine and begin shooting anything that moves, the rest should become apparent from there (where to get more ammo, new guns etc.). The aliens are a bit different of course, but basically you just need to get close and melee things without being shot too much.

I think it's bad that a game gets marked down essentially because it's unique and deeper than average. That must encourage developers to stick to generic formulas and avoid challenging their players.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I've been waiting around for a game with the RTS/FPS built together for a long time. I've probably missed a fair number of games that fit the idea in my head but this is the first one I've found that I love. The concept of the game is great. The bar is high to get into things, but if you are willing to learn, you'll learn and people will help you.

I'm not sure I'd agree that NS2 is any more complex than any FPS out there from the FPS point of view. In fact, I'd say it's simpler than a lot of games with tens of different weapons and multiple classes. You've just got to spend a little time figuring out what works and what doesn't, which goes for every game out there. Trying to shoot a sniper as a heavy with a minigun from halfway across the map in TF2 will not end well for you.

The reviewer makes a point, to be fair, but I agree that breaking the mold is something to strive for in game development.
  • FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    And people want bunny hopping. HA! Wake up and smell the coffee, this isn't the 90's.
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    edited February 2013
    Natural Selection was among the mods for the original Half-Life to become so popular it took on a life of its own, emboldening its creators to form their own studio and release a sequel ten years later.

Since that time, there hasn’t been a gaming experience quite like it...

...it aims to deliver the same tactical gameplay that made the first a success.

...Natural Selection 2 is unquestionably a unique title, but its bar to entry is incredibly high for the average FPS player. For the hardcore strategist, it has its appeal, but its complexity severely limits the enjoyment in matches that aren’t significantly populated by experts at the game.

So it looks like he thinks FPS gamers have gotten considerably more stupid in the last decade I guess. At least he did actually try to explain the game with half of the article.

But to basically say the game will suck unless you are already an expert at it is like saying: "Don't bother trying to learn TF2 or Dota2. You should have started playing it right at the start but now there's too much complexity when you consider all the different weapons/hats/heroes."
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    Fappuchino wrote: »
    And people want bunny hopping. HA! Wake up and smell the coffee, this isn't the 90's.

I think when the gaming community took a complete turn for the worse was after 2006. Now it's just people like you who don't want bunny hopping.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Phade wrote: »
    Surely if you can play any FPS you can jump into NS2 as a marine and begin shooting anything that moves,

With extremely limited success.

'Any FPS' nowadays means COD, BF3, or Halo. All of which allow you to spray bullets in the general direction of slow moving enemies and kill them.

NS2 doesn't allow that, so if you shoot at anything that moves, you'll just run out of ammo and die.

NS2 is pretty hard to adjust to if you've played almost anything else before.
  • delta78delta78 Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178131Members
    My thoughts: reviews are stupid. They are either paid or made by people, who don't understand a thing about the game they are playing.

After reading the review I have to say one thing: the writer is a casual orientated gamer. Complex mechanics? What? I'm not a pro gamer or anything but when the first time I played this game I felt a bit disorientated BUT I quickly found out what I was supposed to do. The feeling of adventuring into unknown game for the first time is one of the things I very much like in games. If it was another average shooter, I wouldn't be here posting this.

The question is what makes a game an interesting one and a funny one? The complexity? Maybe, but I've played a lot of complex games like Project Reality and I can safely say it's not for everyone. So is it the theme of the game? TF2 is a prime example of a comedy packed with fast action. Maybe it's the diverse gameplay and rich story? What is the thing that hooks people like fish to play a game?

My answer: all of them at once. If you remove one of them, you get half backed experience. If there was no complexity, or theme or interesting and dynamic gameplay, what would NS2 turn in? In another Pew-Pew shooter, I guess.

Are the mechanics in NS2 complex? For me they are not. But they leave you with a lot of room to experiment and try different things. That adds to the diversity and longevity of the game, which is never a bad thing.

Are there a lot of mechanics to learn that many may slip by newbie view unnoticed? Yes, but if you are an explorer like-gamer, you find it fun to discover new things in each game like I do.

TL;DR

The review is crappy. My opinion!
  • PhadePhade Join Date: 2012-10-03 Member: 161376Members
    Chris0132 wrote: »
    if you shoot at anything that moves, you'll just run out of ammo and die.
    Unless you're reasonably accurate, then you'll kill/damage the enemy and maybe live on to get more ammo.

The aliens are harder to hit than typical human targets but that's about it, the actual shooting mechanics are just as basic if not more (BF3 has recoil, bullet drop etc.).
    BF3 also has you shooting at things that move very slowly, and you aren't expected to move much either, and your gun sprays bullets everywhere if you want it.

Your average COD/BF gun is like the NS2 rifle (when sighted) taped to the NS1 HMG (when unsighted) with the NS2 beta GL attachment stuck to it (as an extra) and a sniper scope if you need it.

NS2 gives you much more precise tools than other FPS games. You have to be damn good with the rifle to hit anything, in others you can just spray and pray, or fire grenades randomly or something.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    delta78 wrote: »
    My thoughts: reviews are stupid.

99% of them are. I usually only consider reviews without a score system. (RPS)
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited February 2013
    There's not really anything inaccurate about the review. It was competently written, covered a lot of aspects, and had a decent balance between the reviewer's opinion and game description. It could be criticized for having an unfairly poor score by gaming industry standards, though perhaps the guy just doesn't want to give out 8/10's for games he only considers 'ok', as there's enough of a problem with that in gaming reviews. I also dunno if 'complexity' is really an appropriate aspect to be justifying a below-average score for, but whatevs...
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    edited February 2013
    ...Natural Selection 2 is unquestionably a unique title, but its bar to entry is incredibly high for the average FPS player. For the hardcore strategist, it has its appeal, but its complexity severely limits the enjoyment in matches that aren’t significantly populated by experts at the game.

Perfectly said and very accurate.

If they are going to give it 60, then at least they had valid reasons, unlike gamespot.

• LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Meh, high level play in other popular games (Dota2) can be just as difficult or even regular level play. NS2 just doesn't have a good way to get started without getting destroyed. There's no AI, there's not a great tutorial system etc. etc.
  • GrueneMedizinGrueneMedizin Join Date: 2012-12-13 Member: 175008Members
    Superficial review imo. There are rookieservers to help you out and if you ask your teammates what to do ingame they are most likely to help you.
    The shooting and strategy don’t entirely mesh, and as it stands each aspect feels watered-down to accommodate the other.
    There are not even any reasons given for why the author thinks so.
  • Ugly_JimUgly_Jim Join Date: 2002-11-29 Member: 10235Members
    Also no matchmaking system. Skill and experience disparities seem to be a problem.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2013
    I miss the days when an average player wasn't a complete moron, this complexity problem wouldn't be an issue. In ten years time all you will need to do is grunt to get your lolz.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    Reviews good, scores bad.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Articles like these, are why I play on newbie servers. To show new folk it is NOT that hard. Article is wrong.

yesterday I had a newbie on kharaa say he couldnt play any lifeform. So I said, start by practising skulks. get of the ground, and start jumping. preferably between walls and ceilings.
    3 respawns later the same newbie said he was having a much easier time now as a skulk.

took me a mere 5 seconds to inform him, and him a mere 5 to ask.
    I do not find that qualifies as hard. hehe
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Frankly I think game imbalance is playing a big role in discouraging new players. I mean this strictly from the current perspective where marines lose more often and the marines are more difficult to play.

Let's be honest here, most new players will want to play marines in the beginning since it is what they are familiar with as an FPS. That in turn puts them in a position where not only are they new, they are on a team that is harder to play than the other team in the game.

Now let's imagine that imbalance was reversed. Instead of marines winning 40%, marines are winning 60%. In that case I think it would have had a MUCH bigger impact on the game, and many more new users would have been in a better position to learn and play the game as marines. While the imbalance would still be there, I think it would have been much better with respect to building the player base.

Frankly I think this is why NS1 was able to bring people in, since that was how it started out. Marines were the ones who won more often, and so new players entered a game that was easier to play as marines - which is where the vast majority learned to play.

If I had to choose which way the game had to be imbalanced, I would certainly prefer that marines get the advantage strictly because of how new players look at the game. (FPS with guns first)
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Oh boy, someone restrain me I want to go at this one in the comments.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    h4x wrote: »
    Review is accurate. Be thankful they didn't take away points for performance (like a lot of reviews don't seem to have done).

The game is playable, there are PCs that can easily run it well on maximum settings. You don't compare "game X achieves this graphical fidelity on my settings while game Y requires a better PC to achieve that fidelity" and I don't know any serious reviewing site that does so.
    Performance is an aspect that differs for every player based on his hardware, hence why you don't judge it in a review unless it's so bad that the game is unplayable even on minimum settings on an average gamer's PC.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    5 paragraphs of framing, 2 paragraphs of review and a 2 sentence conclusion. Seems about right.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    It could be worse. A:CM got a 2/10 review score on that site. Ouch.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    CrushaK wrote: »
    Review is accurate. Be thankful they didn't take away points for performance (like a lot of reviews don't seem to have done).

The game is playable, there are PCs that can easily run it well on maximum settings. You don't compare "game X achieves this graphical fidelity on my settings while game Y requires a better PC to achieve that fidelity" and I don't know any serious reviewing site that does so.
    Performance is an aspect that differs for every player based on his hardware, hence why you don't judge it in a review unless it's so bad that the game is unplayable even on minimum settings on an average gamer's PC.

Performance is bad. Even UWE know and can admit that. Why can't you?

'There are PCs that can run it well' is not really a selling point.

A game should be runnable on the majority of PCs, consistently, with understandable and reasonable performance requirements for each level of fidelity settings.

NS2 doesn't have that, it runs well for some, poorly for others, sometimes well on good settings, sometimes poorly on low settings. It's performance is inconsistent, which means anybody buying it can't be sure of whether it will be playable.

That's the sort of thing I would want to know, reading a review, because I probably wouldn't buy a game if it was that sort of unstable.
  • DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Phade wrote: »
    LATEst NS2 review from Thunderbolt Games: thunderboltgames.com/reviews/article/natural-selection-2-review-for-pc.html

Like the original GameSpot review it scores a 60 mainly for it's "complexity" and having an "incredibly high" bar to entry.

Surely if you can play any FPS you can jump into NS2 as a marine and begin shooting anything that moves, the rest should become apparent from there (where to get more ammo, new guns etc.). The aliens are a bit different of course, but basically you just need to get close and melee things without being shot too much.

I think it's bad that a game gets marked down essentially because it's unique and deeper than average. That must encourage developers to stick to generic formulas and avoid challenging their players.

What are your thoughts?

I recently started playing Battlefield 3. I hadn't played any multiplayer Battlefield, Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, whatever, games before. The closest (!) I ever came was Counter-Strike and it is nothing like Battlefield (as I soon realized). In my opinion, Battlefield 3 is incredibly complex, way more than NS2. But, of course, I am biased because I have been with NS since launch almost.

Anyway, I think as long as the user can figure stuff out (training modes, manuals, and a helpful community) there is no reason to mark a game down for complexity.

Devs, don't dumb NS2 down. It's a great game.

Cheers,
    Cody
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't think his review is offensively inaccurate or anything. He has a point about the learning curve. 60 just seems like far too low a score given the nature of his complaints. I would have understood a 70.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester

A game should be runnable on the majority of PCs, consistently, with understandable and reasonable performance requirements for each level of fidelity settings.

NS2 doesn't have that, it runs well for some, poorly for others, sometimes well on good settings, sometimes poorly on low settings. It's performance is inconsistent, which means anybody buying it can't be sure of whether it will be playable.

That's the sort of thing I would want to know, reading a review, because I probably wouldn't buy a game if it was that sort of unstable.

Mentioning it in the review's text is one thing. Demanding to subtract points from the overall score that is supposed to judge ingenuity of gameplay, atmosphere, storytelling, visual appeal, sound design and content is another thing.

Sure, the entire Metascore thing can go to hell anyway, but at least reviewers are fair and don't doom the game in the only review it will get for an issue that has not much to do with how good the gameplay experience (yeah, come nitpicking at me about how bad performance has an impact on the gameplay experience) is and will either get fixed at some point or becomes less relevant in the future as players upgrade their systems at some point. Hardware is a contemporary problem; the rest of the game that is reviewed is rather timeless.
  • nikodimus86nikodimus86 Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163188Members

Wow. Someone actually used the forbidden numbers. The ones we dare not mention.

• DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow

Well to be fair, giving A:CM 2/10 is generous :P

Mentioning it in the review's text is one thing. Demanding to subtract points from the overall score that is supposed to judge ingenuity of gameplay, atmosphere, storytelling, visual appeal, sound design and content is another thing.

Sure, the entire Metascore thing can go to hell anyway, but at least reviewers are fair and don't doom the game in the only review it will get for an issue that has not much to do with how good the gameplay experience (yeah, come nitpicking at me about how bad performance has an impact on the gameplay experience) is and will either get fixed at some point or becomes less relevant in the future as players upgrade their systems at some point. Hardware is a contemporary problem; the rest of the game that is reviewed is rather timeless.

I don't really think it's nitpicking to say that poor performance impacts the gameplay. Ultimately, you buy a game to play it, if you can't play it properly, it will have poor gameplay.

Sword of the Stars 2 was completely unplayabale on release because of the performance and bugs, despite the fact that it's actually a very interesting and different game. That doesn't make it a good game on launch, it makes it a dreadful game on launch, only now that they've patched it up heavily can I call it a good game.

Reviewers can only work with the version of the game they have.