file doesn't exist in Steam Workshop

FatesFates Join Date: 2013-02-21 Member: 183238Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited February 2013 in Technical Support
I keep getting an error when trying to join any game regardless if its modded or not. The game tries to download one of to "mods" 'Ä' or '4'}zôr' After which it tells me "file doesn't exist in Steam Workshop." I've tried the basic trouble shooting of Validating steam files and even Uninstalling and re-installing yet the problem persists. I'm at a loss. If any one has any idea of whats wrong, I'd be greatfull for the information.

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    1. Unsubscribe/remove all mods from the in game menu.
    2. Press the windows key + R and type %appdata% and find the natural selection 2 folder and then delete the workshop folder inside. (C:\Users\Ironhorse\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2\Workshop)
    3. Restart steam and NS2 and test it.
  • SidderSidder Join Date: 2012-12-23 Member: 176034Members
    Had same problem today, not only did this fix it, but also unclutterd mod section xD (guesss untill I re-dl all these maps?)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    If anyone finds reproduction steps or which mod exactly is causing this, it would be very helpful. TY
  • FatesFates Join Date: 2013-02-21 Member: 183238Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    That worked thank you. Strange thing though. It still tried to download 'Ä' when I tried to launch a game after doing what you said to do. The game then timed out and I relaunched another server and it worked. I guess as long as it doesn't come back I'll be good.

Thanks

Ok gotta edit here. After trying to play on a modded server again I got the download error. I have no current mods installed.
    Don't like to double post but here is a screen shot of whats going on.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Man I just got this same bug. The above instructions worked but It was so strange that deleting the files/everything in the appdata area did not fix it.
  • sally_pantssally_pants Join Date: 2013-02-21 Member: 183241Members
    Just tried these steps and it doesn't seem to fix it.

I did try connecting to a server with vanilla, no mods for me and it did not work. The admin turned off ns2stats and I was able to join.

But I also got the same error trying to join a modded marine v marine server (was just checking to see if it was only ns2stats). Though that was with my mods back on.

Also, when I re-subscribed the mods list in game was empty (where you activate the mods). The workshop folder has not been recreated after I launched NS2, after I re-subscribed, so I can't delete it again.
    Just tried these steps and it doesn't seem to fix it.

I did try connecting to a server with vanilla, no mods for me and it did not work. The admin turned off ns2stats and I was able to join.

But I also got the same error trying to join a modded marine v marine server (was just checking to see if it was only ns2stats). Though that was with my mods back on.

Also, when I re-subscribed the mods list in game was empty (where you activate the mods). The workshop folder has not been recreated after I launched NS2, after I re-subscribed, so I can't delete it again.

This was also happening to me. I had to leave NS2. Access the workshop from my desktop through steam. Unsubscribe to everything including my portal 2 content and other games until it was empty. Then I exited steam and deleted my ns2 folder in appdata. When I logged back in and loaded up NS2 it was finally downloading mods again. Not sure what else I can say.

Sounds like it's a server side issue then.
    Those who find those steps to work, did you try the same exact server as before that was giving the error? This needs to be done to confirm that it's server side.

Silly pants can your server op try another mod by itself to test if it was any mod or just stats? Thanks
  • DsenzaDsenza Join Date: 2013-02-21 Member: 183247Members
    I am having some of thesame issues as the original poster of this thread, which is being unable to connect to a modded server. I am also having what appears to be issues with the workshop. I've tried all of the things listed out here, the only difference is that even when I subscribe to any particular mods through the steam workshop, nothing gets created in my %appdata% folder. It never creates a workshop folder, and nothing gets modified in any of the base folders.

I've deleted the entire folder in %appdata%, I've uninstalled NS2 from steam, I've even tried uninstalling and deleting any and all files related to steam and starting fresh, and I still can't get any sort of workshop folder to get created for NS2 after subscribing to mods. Steam shows me that it's downloading and updating the game, but nothing ever changes.

The options file in the NS2 folder inside the Userdata location of the steam install doesn't show anything under the <mod> header either.

I've also got the modID's and what folders they should create, but even after subscribing to them, reloading NS2, and searching my computer for the folders, it comes up with nothing.

I'm not really sure where to go next in order to figure this out.
    edited February 2013
    I installed a fresh copy of windows 8 for performance testing purposes. And I decided to install NS2 and steam on this. Then I start it up and all my subscribed mods were not downloading. So I go to a custom server to see if it happens again and got that same 'Ä' error. So basically I can already tell it has nothing to do with the files on your computer. And since NS2 did not even start downloading any mods from my subscribed list when I started it up, I could tell it is pretty much a steam workshop issue with subscribing and what not.

So I did the same thing as before. Access steam workshop from the desktop with NS2 closed. My Profile > My Workshop>Subscribed items> Then unsubscribe every single thing and reload the page to make sure they are gone. Then I closed steam, signed in again and ran NS2, subscribed to the Marine vs Marine mod in game and it downloaded. Not sure what is causing this.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Getting all kinds of bugs related to workshop, mods won't load half the time, restarting steam works sometimes.
  • DsenzaDsenza Join Date: 2013-02-21 Member: 183247Members
    I managed to get everything all fixed. I still don't know exactly what was causing the issues, but I do know that the workshop was part of the problem. It wouldn't download anything I subscribed to, across all of my games.

I know my steam client was forced into compatibility mode through the registry by windows, and after a fresh install and removing the forced compat mode, I was able to subscribe to and install mods through the workshop without any issues.
    The two registry entries that involved steam in these two locations are what I had to delete.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Persisted
    and
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

I'm pretty sure the compatibility mode was causing my issues with the workshop, if anyone else tries it and it works, hurray.

NOTE: As with anything involving the registry, make sure you back everything up on the chance that something goes wrong, and don't hold me responsible. Just trying to lend a hand.
  • SidderSidder Join Date: 2012-12-23 Member: 176034Members
    edited February 2013
    nm

edit: delete plx D
    Thanks for all the info guys. Including your dxdiag would be helpful here too, so we can see if it's a trend with win 8 as just one example
    It does sound like it's on steam's end though
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Here's my diag. I'm pretty sure it's a steam issue though, worked perfectly a week ago, now randomly get the "stuck on downloading mods" bug, as it tries to download Ä named mods of the mods you have enabled. From what I hear it happens in more games than just NS2.

Note, it has stopped messing up for now. I DID delete all my mods and get them again, but I don't think that fixed it because it messed up one time after that anyway.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    edited February 2013
    i tried ALL of this.

but i found a VERY easy method to fix the problem for me and everyone else:

SWITCH THE STEAM SERVER (to frankfurt)

everyone who switched the steamserver (u can switch your
    steam server in the steam settings under "Downloads+cloud" "Download region"
    to frankfurt could connect and havent had any problems upcomming.

on my local steam servers i always got this error, but as frankfurt is the biggest node
    for europe it gets updated first and from there all the other steam servers,
    which is quite slow sometimes.

i even reinstalled (deleted everything in %apppdata% ofc) and had this error with vanilla ns2 o.O
    changed the steam server no problem anymore...
  • GamerkatzeGamerkatze Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Members
    derWalter wrote: »
    i tried ALL of this.

but i found a VERY easy method to fix the problem for me and everyone else:

SWITCH THE STEAM SERVER (to frankfurt)

everyone who switched the steamserver (u can switch your
    steam server in the steam settings under "Downloads+cloud" "Download region"
    to frankfurt could connect and havent had any problems upcomming.

on my local steam servers i always got this error, but as frankfurt is the biggest node
    for europe it gets updated first and from there all the other steam servers,
    which is quite slow sometimes.

i even reinstalled (deleted everything in %apppdata% ofc) and had this error with vanilla ns2 o.O
    changed the steam server no problem anymore...

well im using the frankfurt one and never experienced this issue before ... mh :/
    Not everyone can use that location for geographical reasons obviously.. but good to know changing the steam server does the trick! Thanks
    Well my issue seems to have gone away. As of now I haven't had any issues, and I didn't change a thing. Makes me believe it is on steams end. I'll post another reply if that changes.